The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Not yet a owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reelist

City/Region: Salem, OR
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Not yet a owner Reply with quote

But since I've always lusted after a C-Dory and soon may have the financial means to become an owner I've joined up!

I've been a lurker for some time, mostly looking at the 'For Sale' forum, but browsing occasionally this Chat one as well.

I'm interested in input from the collective knowledge base that is c-brats. I'm a salmon/steelhead/bottomfish/halibut fisherman - tho w/out my own salt boat I frequent the estuaries (a 15' runabout) and I bum rides with ifish.net friends.

I'm no stranger to the salt, having spent many hours on the blue including a stint as a deckhand on a commercial salmon troller. So comfort and knowledge, respect for the big blue is there.

So where am I going with this you ask? Well, I struggle with what model I should start with. The 16' are inexpensive and that's appealing. But the 19' sure looks like a better big water/more people boat. Clearly the Angler vs the Cruiser. Is the 16' big water capable? Even moderate water capable? Say Bouy 10, can I feel safe there in a 16 (maybe more important, would my wife feel safe Wink? I'd guess that 26 miles off Garibaldi to Halibut Hill I'd really want that 19' (maybe the 22'!!) but on a perfect day would the 16' - with lots of spare gas, be capable? How about off-shore reefs for bottom fish? How 'bout chasing salmon just over the bar? Or would I always wish I'd stepped up to the 19'?

If you have comments I'd appreciate 'em. If you're willing to offer an open-seat on your 'dory (generous contributions of course) to get a first-hand looksee that too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mark (Salem, OR)
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, my thoughts, hunt down a good used 22 footer, used 19 footers woulld be harder to find, the 16 footer can probably handle rougher water than one wants but the pucker factor would be greater and fishing out of it in the rough would be probably not be much fun....PLUS, with the 22" you can go putz around the San Juans and live like a king in your motoryacht.

I'll be down at Ilwaco a bunch this summer, you'd be welcome to catch a ride if I have an open seat...Like I do Monday

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reelist-

Ken said it right on the money, short and simple. Look for a good used 22. Lots to choose from right now. Choose an Angler if your emphasis is on fishing, a Cruiser if you're more concerned with bringing the Admiral along, overnighting, and cruising. Good Luck! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
reelist

City/Region: Salem, OR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
reelist-

Ken said it right on the money, short and simple. Look for a good used 22. Lots to choose from right now. Choose an Angler if your emphasis is on fishing, a Cruiser if you're more concerned with bringing the Admiral along, overnighting, and cruising. Good Luck! Joe.

Boy, after takin a ride w/ Ken y'day I can see where your point is well taken! You're right Sea Wolf, for fishin the cruiser might be tight (tho it did work). Very Happy For cruising I can really see the 22' being the way-to-go.

I'm interested in 16' owners comments, no one out there willing to chime in?!? The cost difference is significant.

Mark
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-
You should check with Keith on C-PUP. He has a 16 that he loads for fishing---- and everything else. Shocked

How about it Keith--- care to chime in?

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: