The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

where did most put heater exhaust thru hull?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: where did most put heater exhaust thru hull? Reply with quote

In the mapping stages of heater project. was wondering where everyone placed there thru hull exhaust at? it would be easier and have more of a down bens(hopefully keeping water out ) if I placed it just below the accent line on the next rib down. same place my sink drain is at. I would be able to put it just below rub rail on the accent color but would be more of a straight over for exhaust and no down angle? any input one way or the other plan on drilling this weekend.
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...just below the accent line on the next rib down. same place my sink drain is at.

that's where factory installed mine.

jd
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what stove you're installing, but the Wallas 1300 heater I'm putting in comes with instructions that require the exhaust exit to be at least a certain minimum below the high point in the exhaust line, and at least a certain minimum above the water line. That leaves a very narrow band to choose from - if I a fudge a millimeter or two, I think I can mount it just above the bottom edge of the green accent strip, otherwise the flange of the exhaust port will overlap the green and be partly on the white. I haven't decided yet whether compulsion to do it exactly by the book or esthetic considerations will rule.

There are a lot of competing considerations:
- What do the instruction say, if anything;
- Will the hot exhaust port be near open windows, fenders, lines, boarding access, fuel fillers or vents;
- Will there be good air flow across the opening?

nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a photo of my wallas exhaust

tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up as high above the waterline as possible!

I get water in on mine due to the factory install a little to close to the waterline. In heavy seas it will take water. When I install the Espar I'll add a clamshell with the new through hull (I don't want to patch and relocate).
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put ours next to the Wallas stove exhaust.[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1447&id=IMG_3925&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

I can't seem to do photos on the iPad, but look at the pic in the Espar album.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Discovery on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys, and pic that is where it would fit best with a good down ward angle. nimrod do you ever notice water getting your thru hull? I am still dry fitting, but lower like in the pic posted would be the easiest to do i will look again initial read of instal instructions didn't say one way or the other. the thru hull i go does have upward angle on it as well to help eliminate water intrusion
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcr_pnw wrote:
Up as high above the waterline as possible!

I'm not sure I'd always go for that. Reason I say it is that is ... isn't it good to have an upward loop inside the boat? My original fuel vents were placed as high as possible on the topsides (thus no loop would fit) and I changed it, lowering them, and adding a trap type fixture (since I could still not fit a loop).

Maybe you meant "as high as possible" *with* a loop and if so... never mind! I just couldn't tell for sure.
canal charterguy

City/Region: Grapeview
C-Dory Year: 2005
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Wallas thru hull fitting location Reply with quote

My thru hull fitting on my 05 22' cruiser is located as in the picture and was installed at the factory. We fish the boat in sloppy seas in the straits and ocean.It has always been wet under the cabinet. I scratched my head and ran towels under there for a VERY long time. I also tried applying a sealant barrier on the inside to no avail. Finally a couple of seasons ago I put a standard rubber drain plug in outside the hull and no problems since. I am very safety minded and don't like this option but it is dry under the cabinet when the unit is not in use. JUST REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE PLUG BEFORE TURNING ON. I also always run a carbon monoxide detector. If there is an option to go higher on the exhaust I would.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take mine out and replace using a high temp caulking sealant to keep the water from coming in with a quartering sea hitting that side. I installed the sealant at the thru-hull and the flex tube connection.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Leaking at the exhaust fitting... Reply with quote

When I talked with the folks at Scan Marine about moving my Wallas stove/heater they told me to be sure to use plenty of high temp RTV when mounting the exhaust flange because the flange is only tack welded to the tail pipe and not fully welded. This allows water to seep in around the outer flange and the pipe the exhaust hose is connected to. I made sure to pack RTV into the very small gap and used plenty under the flange where it sits against the hull. So far no leaks.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, after 9 years, my question has finally been answered. I always wondered why water would appear under the cabinet. It was very random but I thought it might be coming in through the Wallas exhaust thru hull. Now my suspicions have been answered. I guess I need to follow the suggestions in this thread in order to fix the issue.

Thanks guys! Peter
Jake B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies. I looked again today and for some reason I was thinking I would have to mount heater as high as I could but after looking again today if I mount in the middle I can get a good up bend and still exhaust in the accent area. I have the high temp stuff just waiting on a few parts then ill get it in and post some pics. thanks
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking at the exhaust fitting... Reply with quote

mgarr682 wrote:
When I talked with the folks at Scan Marine about moving my Wallas stove/heater they told me to be sure to use plenty of high temp RTV when mounting the exhaust flange. . ..

What brand of RTV did you use? Life Seal says it's good to 400 degrees F, and I was thinking I'd use that. I know pure silicone is good at high temperatures but I hate the stuff - it's the devil to remove from gelcoat.
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking at the exhaust fitting... Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
mgarr682 wrote:
When I talked with the folks at Scan Marine about moving my Wallas stove/heater they told me to be sure to use plenty of high temp RTV when mounting the exhaust flange. . ..

What brand of RTV did you use? Life Seal says it's good to 400 degrees F, and I was thinking I'd use that. I know pure silicone is good at high temperatures but I hate the stuff - it's the devil to remove from gelcoat.

I used Permatex 81160. According to their data sheet it's good to 600F. It's available at just about any auto parts store. When I installed the outlet I was on the inside the boat tightening the nuts while my wife was outside the boat holding the screws with a screw driver. As the goo oozed out my wife would immediately wipe it away with a paper towel. When we were finished there was no clean up. Just keep plenty of paper towels handy.

Also keep in mind that you might have electrical cables and engine control cables running through the area where you plan to make the upward loop in the exhaust line. That area is a bit different in the Angler vs. the Cruiser. You'll want to keep the exhaust pipe away from them as it does get hot, although the fiberglass sleeve does make a huge difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: