TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these goofy things when Costco had them for $326. I figured it would be handy for going to the boat during the hectic Buoy 10 fishing season when the parking lot is jammed full in the mornings. I could park the truck there overnight and ride the bike home and back in the morning.

The bike is pretty cool, but I do look goofy riding it. It scoots right along and goes 17 miles on a charge. The handle folds down to make it fairly compact and it will fit in the V-berth or the back seat of the truck.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are coming up on 6 years of owning folding e-bikes. I still ride almost every morning. At the time, looking for a fat tire folding e-bike, there was a choice of one: SSR Trail Viper. Now, they are everywhere you search (Google folding e-bikes).

We used reasonably light-weight folding bikes on Wild Blue and found them very handy and comfortable (don't get the smallest folders, get what fits you). Bikes or a dinghy when cruising? The obvious answer is: both; they serve different purposes... just like you need navigation AND communication equipment when cruising.

Our current folding e-bikes wouldn't be the best on a small boat (not what we used on Wild Blue) - the Trail Vipers are at home on trails and bike paths. Folded, we can fit two of them in the back of our small SUV; but they would take up too much room in the cockpit of a C-Dory. Look for a "city folder" to take on a small boat.

I've joked with Pat about this: our style of cruising wasn't about finding places for our dog to poop (we don't have a dog). The boat was a conveyance to take us to interesting places to explore, whether cool cities or quiet natural areas. We spent 6 weeks on the Erie Canal and Hudson River; Pat spent 3 days. Different strokes. The bikes allowed us to get more than walking distance from the boat to see what each small town along the way was all about. We found them invaluable.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about e-bikes... some people think the bike does all the work (I often hear "that's cheating" when riding my e-bike). That's not the way most people use an e-bike. The pedal assist on mine gives me a consistent workout, no matter the wind direction or terrain. I have never used mine as an "electric scooter," although some do. I have used the throttle to move out faster when an unknown dog approaches, barking and snapping. I have used the throttle to get started when on a steep incline. I don't "commute" on mine, although some do. It doesn't replace a motorcycle or a scooter for me.

What we used on the boat...

What we have for e-bikes...

Both folders, but a significant difference in weight and capability.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might look at e-scooters instead. There are models that fold up and they are smaller than a bike. The ones like Lime, Jump, and Spin I find easy to use. I rent them in places where they are available, but I have seen them carried and used by boaters.
fred09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met someone in the summer who had a Tern folding e-bike and was very happy with it. I have seen other Tern folding bikes since then and am very impressed.

Here's one from this website:
https://www.bikethesites.com/best-kids-bikes/

It's probably the bike I would buy if I was in the market for one. Unfortunately, it costs about £2000.
Don't forget BTW that folding bikes are often no lighter than normal bikes but are designed to be carried: with a motor and battery they are very heavy indeed[/url]
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I don't get the need for an E-Bike when the vast majority of roads and trails accessed from a C-Dory will be flat.

I have a folder I used to use commuting (2 miles to the train station, ride Amtrak, 3 miles to the office) that weighs around 30 lbs.

I ride on trails sometimes and see people zipping along without pedaling and wonder "What's the point? You're outside, sure, but you're not getting any exercise..."
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me that’s an easy answer…. When we bought ours my wife had knee problems that obstructed her ability to pedal for long periods. Since I enjoy her company the ebike allowed us the enjoyment of riding together. I like pedaling and did that more of the time, but it was also fun to have the assist. Plus, we found some shopping destinations to be a distance with a hill or two in between and the ebike was nice to have.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
... I ride on trails sometimes and see people zipping along without pedaling and wonder "What's the point? You're outside, sure, but you're not getting any exercise..."

Getting to their destination without getting all sweaty?
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobMcClain wrote:
For me that’s an easy answer…. When we bought ours my wife had knee problems that obstructed her ability to pedal for long periods. Since I enjoy her company the ebike allowed us the enjoyment of riding together. I like pedaling and did that more of the time, but it was also fun to have the assist. Plus, we found some shopping destinations to be a distance with a hill or two in between and the ebike was nice to have.

If it's transportation that offers mobility to someone otherwise unable, it makes sense, certainly.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
I suppose I don't get the need for an E-Bike when the vast majority of roads and trails accessed from a C-Dory will be flat."

This depends on where the C Dory is used. Many places we have boated have steep hills around the water. 'Think Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California. Inland lakes in the mountain--for example North Shore of Pickwick on the Tennessee River. Many towns on the upper Tennessee River. Lake Powell. Even some towns along the St. John's river have some fairly steep hills. Plenty of hills along the upper Mississippi, The list goes on.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
daninPA wrote:
I suppose I don't get the need for an E-Bike when the vast majority of roads and trails accessed from a C-Dory will be flat."

This depends on where the C Dory is used. Many places we have boated have steep hills around the water. 'Think Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California. Inland lakes in the mountain--for example North Shore of Pickwick on the Tennessee River. Many towns on the upper Tennessee River. Lake Powell. Even some towns along the St. John's river have some fairly steep hills. Plenty of hills along the upper Mississippi, The list goes on.

My apologies -- I fell into the East Coast myopia.

Nevertheless, I suppose it also depends on how a cyclist defines a "hill." Smile

E-bikes are now ubiquitous in the US but were popular in Canada a few years earlier. I learned this by accident one day riding on the Route Verte near Quebec City. I spotted a cyclist ahead of me who was moving. As any ex-racer would do, I tried to catch him. This went on for miles, averaging 25-27 MPH. I finally caught up to him at a light and noticed he pulled away when the light turned but wasn't pedaling. And then I realized...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: