The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jump start "battery" in a pocket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Jump start "battery" in a pocket Reply with quote

This product was touted in The Hull Truth, and I throw it out for discussion.

Here is the link: http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/

This is a lithium battery which is 5" x 1" x 2 7/8", and weight is 14 oz. The claim is that it will start any outboard, truck, even diesel, even with a flat battery:

This even includes a flashlight in the battery, with strobe light and "SOS". Sounds too good to be true. Allows any object which uses a USB port to recharge. It comes with battery clips, chargers for 12 and 110 mains voltage. The wires for the battery clips appear to be too small to carry much current. Claim of 200 to 400 amp output.

Some are saying they are carrying this rather than a jump start pack or spare battery.

As much as I have worked with batteries, electrical systems, etc--I find this hard to believe. I have a lithium ion battery pack for recharging my MAC and I phones, which is larger and heavier than this--and I cannot imagine it starting even a 25 hp outboard.

Amazon also has this product:
http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-XP-3-Micro-Start/dp/B00GT2FUB2

Comments? Anyone used this product?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

I can't see to get a definitive description of how it exactly works, but I imagine it can't really provide 200 amps instantaneous to start a car or boat. Probably needs to be connected for 5-20 or more minutes at 25 amps or so to basically re-charge the vehicle battery which then has the rechargded/accumulated ability to provide the necessary amps and voltage. This would account for the diminutive wiring size. Still a lot of questions remain……..

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and would like to see a dead battery removed and the gizmo installed to start a vehicle

on the flip side, I am ready to buy one and beats hauling my portable battery jump starter
see
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-jump-start-and-power-supply-38391.html

This item recharges the battery and takes several minutes
and does not always work for me
I replaced 2 vehicle batteries this winter

thanks for posting

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from the Nissan Xterra forum:

"I did two tests. The first was after the X had been sitting in the garage for two days and the garage temperature was about 40F. I disconnected the battery and connected the Micro-Start. The engine started as easily as if the regular battery had been connected. I started the engine three more times and it started easily each time.

The next test was done after two days of sitting, like the first test. This time I pulled the fuel pump fuse and let the engine crank for about 6 seconds. After replacing the fuse the engine started easily. I did three more starts with similar results. The battery has plenty of power for starting."
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possible. I am an engineer and have been working with small lithiums for 10 years.

Lithium batteries are typically best for very high-output, short duration tasks. If you look at one of the batteries (AG801) on their web site you can see this. One of the battery sizes is 9Ah, but can produce 240 "cranking amps".

This is a discharge rating of nearly "27C" (standard measurement reference of how many times the capacity "C" (9Ah) can be pulled out at one time).

240A for 10 seconds is about 0.0027Ah (10/3600). So it would take a lot of short bursts before you deplete 9Ah worth of capacity. Also these large 20+C discharge rates are very hard on the battery. It is likely that you wouldn't get years of doing this several times a day. It is best suited for this emergency or infrequent use case.

I have watched the technology climb from 1C to 5C to 10C over the last few years. Some lithiums now are pushing 30 and 35C discharge rates. It all comes down to the chemistry and the stackup/reliability of the anode/cathode and dielectric separators.

LiPO4 chemistry is somewhat less energy dense than Lithium Polymer and some of the others, but is MUCH safer.

Also, for charging and discharging at high rates, lithium is typically not very happy below about 0-10degC or above 45C (temperature "C" this time).

Fun stuff to see evolving so fast!!!!
captainkettel

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

Watch the Youtube videos on the website. Looks pretty impressive. I wonder how many times it will take a re-charge and still function.
Here is the link: http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm...... I wonder if it would run my CPAP for a full night and how long it would take to recharge? Somewhere between 1-3 amps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(After watching the video of the motorcycle and car start demo)

Wow!

Hard to believe!

Makes lead/acid battery technology look like the stone age!

Too bad it can't take heavy duty recycling/abuse. Could replace 2-4 lead acid batteries at 130 to 280 pounds total with 25 lbs or so! (400 Ah/19 Ah) x 14 oz/ Li battery). Lightens up the boat a bit!

Slightly exaggerated TV ad scenario:
Another Blackout/grid failure in NYC! You're trapped in an elevator, but take your Anti-Gravity battery pack out of your briefcase, connect it to the elevator, and it powers you and other passenger back safely to the lobby. Saved again by your A-G Battery Pack! Beautiful young girl (other passenger) kisses you, her hero! (But did you really want to be rescued?) Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two (or more) on Amazon for less than $100 too. Hmmmm...

Beginning to look like dehydrated water!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All

Is there a good review of current battery technology or a free market research (or analysis) available?

something like
http://www.marketresearch.com/Life-Sciences-c1594/Diagnostics-c1125/Microbiology-Virology-c1538/
but these are not free and sometimes someone throws me a bone (free copy) . I find them excellent reading material
Informative, up to date and spot on

thanks
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
All

Is there a good review of current battery technology or a free market research (or analysis) available?

something like
http://www.marketresearch.com/Life-Sciences-c1594/Diagnostics-c1125/Microbiology-Virology-c1538/
but these are not free and sometimes someone throws me a bone (free copy) . I find them excellent reading material
Informative, up to date and spot on

thanks

These guys do a pretty good job: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

There is good, basic information on all battery types. It is updated periodically, but is not up-to-the-minute.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe's
Quote:
Too bad it can't take heavy duty recycling/abuse. Could replace 2-4 lead acid batteries at 130 to 280 pounds total with 25 lbs or so! (400 Ah/19 Ah) x 14 oz/ Li battery). Lightens up the boat a bit!

Is not that far off even now--if you have the $. Harp back to the Torqeedo threads. Some RV's are running small packs and even doing short term air-conditioning (3 or so hours)

We just had a visitor who has a converted MCI Bus, and he is very close to pulling the trigger of Li batteries--several of his friends are using them practically.

Ray, Thanks for your comments! I had corresponded with someone a few years ago who pointed out if you wanted to buy the cells and build your own batteries, that the cost was considerably less than the "packaged" units.
Arend

City/Region: Chilliwack,
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: TBA
Photos: Arend (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 C batteries are now available.
They are truly amazing.
http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Products/3850-mAh_3/TP3850-3SPF70 this battery will easily give 200 amps at 12.6V
I use this type in my RC model pylon racer ad RC electric gliders.
These have extreme high power to weight ratio.
If they are stored at 50% of full charge they keep for many years.
Charge them to full when you need them, and discharge them to
50% again when you store them for prolonged periods.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just down at my favorite battery store and one of the techs has one. It comes in a case about the size of one for a cd player, with all the cords and alligator clips. He hooked it up to a honda pilot that had a completely dead battery and it started right up. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it. He bought his for $165 from the Mac Tool guy but I am sure they are cheaper on the internet. Amazing stuff.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that these batteries have a very high energy density and can give it up pretty fast. If the battery malfunctions (shorts) you can end up with an explosion and a fire. Lithium burns at high temperature and any electrolyte that escapes the battery is highly flammable. A water based extinguisher will make things worse. Halon has no effect.

There are many instances of the relatively small batteries used in RC cars and planes burning up cars and houses because of damaged cells overheating. You are also not allowed to have lithium batteries (e.g. laptop batteries) in your checked luggage on airplanes in case there is an issue. You can have them in the cabin because if there is a problem a) an attempt can be made to contain the damage and b) at least the crew will know what is going on and take appropriate action (e.g. land ASAP). Aircraft have been lost due to lithium battery fires.

Lead acid batteries can also have issues. However, generally speaking a lead acid battery is not as energy dense as a lithium battery and is much more robustly constructed.

On the 787 Boeing chose lithium batteries because the energy density saved weight. However, after the mods that were required to the airplane after the battery fires, the battery installation on the 787 now weighs the same (or more) than it would have if they used common NiCad aircraft batteries in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: