Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked a Campbell Lake boat launches and found most to be very basic. The lakes on Vancouver Island were at record low levels last summer, so the launches didn't look good. The island is getting lots of rain this winter, so everything may look different this year.

We launched on Sproat Lake, just west of Port Alberni, a couple of times last summer to enjoy the long lake and give Mistaya a freshwater bath. Judy's brother lives on the lake. There is an excellent 'free' boat launch at Sproat Lake Provincial Park with excellent free parking. A nice place to launch and do a day or overnight cruise.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Vancouver Island spots:

Port Alice (Quatsino) is pavement all the way and had free parking across the road from the launch. It can get full and then I don't know where you would put your rig. I did stop at Alice Lake when I drove back from Port Alice. I launched and went to the lake's inlet (Marble River?). Washed the salt off of the boat and myself.

Holberg (Quatsino) is a gravel launch okay at high tide. There is no fuel and maybe not even a place to tie on the single dock. You may have to raft and climb across one of the apparently abandoned boats. Parking is free, unsecured, and you will be the only one there. The Holberg Inlet is fine for lonesome cruising. There are some spits with good clam digging and a few places to anchor if you trust that the wind won't come up.

It is about an hour run from Holberg to Coal Harbor, where there was fuel when I was there, but it wouldn't surprise me if they kept odd hours. I think Holberg is on the road to Winter Harbor and I would just keep going. I've never been to Winter Harbor by road, but it can't be any worse than launching at Holberg and a whole lot closer to the main cruising/fishing area. The store at Winter Harbor was surprisingly well stocked. There is fuel.

Gold River (Nootka Sound) was a zoo when I was there and I didn't want to get involved in finding out what was secure and what was affordable and what was legal and where to get in line for using the launch. I just kept on to the Moucha Bay Resort. Not a good road and would be slow with a bigger boat. There was a launching and parking fee, but not bad. I parked quite a distance away (and uphill). Freshwater rinse. Launch is best at high tide, but ramp is shallow and requires at least hip boots (for solo). There is a fuel dock.

Tahsis is even further along the same gravel road. There is fuel, a grocery store, and a restaurant. There is a slightly larger grocery store in town, but it is a hike (or a bike ride). I don't remember the launching or parking situation. I can't imagine that too many people choose this as their launching site.

Zeballos (also Quatsino) is accessed from a different gravel road further north. It has fuel. You need to contact the "store" on channel 6 and see if anyone responds (or if they have anything that you need). The only benefit is that the launch is apparently free (mid to high tide only) and free parking is close by or apparently anywhere in town where your trailer fits. It is mainly commercial fishing and has good showers across from the launch.

Continue on from Zeballos to Fair Harbor (Kyuquot Sound). The road gets a little worse, but mainly because of several massive road work projects. It is possible that the projects have been finished in the last four years and the road is better. I recall it was about +4 hours from pavement (Highway 19) to Fair Harbor. The locals probably drive that in an hour, so be careful. Fuel is only available in Fair Harbor. Some of the fishing lodges may have room for dinner guests. We actually stayed one night for dinner, laundry, showers, breakfast and a sack lunch. A nice break in the middle of 10 days on a 16 foot boat.

There are some pictures in my "Travels 2016" photo album. If I was planning on cruising "inside," then Nootka would be my choice, probably launching at Port Alice. Lots of nooks and crannies in the backwaters with the fishermen all zooming around outside. If I wanted to play around "outside," then north out of Kyuquot with the the Bunsbys as home base and exploring Checleset Bay and Nesparti Inlet. All fishing is closed in most of the area, so the sports fishermen from the resorts to the south don't bother. We saw one other boat (a logging company transport) in our time in the Bunsbys. If the weather is good, you can poke out a mile offshore to get outside the closure zone and fish some seamounts with fantastic fishing.

Most of the books that I have read about circumnavigating Vancouver Island are by sailors making runs from one safe anchorage to another. Once inside the various inlets, the descriptions get sketchier. Probably the circumnavigators are too concerned about the next leg outside to explore the inside. Even the Bunsbys are considered a stopover and, if the tides and weather are favorable, quickly abandoned for the next destination. Turns out that 10 days in the Bunsbys was just a brief introduction. I suppose it depends on what one likes about boating.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
We looked a Campbell Lake boat launches and found most to be very basic. The lakes on Vancouver Island were at record low levels last summer, so the launches didn't look good. The island is getting lots of rain this winter, so everything may look different this year.

We launched on Sproat Lake, just west of Port Alberni, a couple of times last summer to enjoy the long lake and give Mistaya a freshwater bath. Judy's brother lives on the lake. There is an excellent 'free' boat launch at Sproat Lake Provincial Park with excellent free parking. A nice place to launch and do a day or overnight cruise.

Great place to live. I lived in Port Alberni as a kid. Then moved to Sidney just before the MARS planes came in. A few years back now, (2 or 3), I was at that Sproat Lake launch ramp, getting ready to launch when the last red water bomber took off. My purpose was to get out there and get a pix with SleepyC and that plane side by side.

Thanks for the mention. I will be looking at Campbell Lake as a possibility.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, thank you for that post. Very helpful information there. I'm not going for fishing, but maybe buddy boating with some that do. I will be noting your post, and good updates. I do remember your photos from back when you were posting about them. Vancouver Island is pretty dear to my heart, but I never got the chance to do much exploring above Campbell River -- til now.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at a possible launch out of the Naniamo area and wondering about, (actually looking for) launch site and parking recommendations in the area. Anyone use or know anything about the "Brechin Boat Launch" site there.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I used the Lady Smith Fishermans Wharf launch and parked my rig there for free for a week. The harbormaster was real nice, and let me use the water bib outside their offices to rinse down the trailer after launching. (Had to have my own hose). She was also willing to keep an eye on the truck and trailer, but said they've never had any problems. It's not that far south of Nanaimo. Or if you want to drive farther to the north, Telegraph Cove Harbor I believe you told me about before my trip two years ago, was real nice also, but parking was $30 a week or $5 day I believe. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Harvey, I used the Lady Smith Fishermans Wharf launch and parked my rig there for free for a week. The harbormaster was real nice, and let me use the water bib outside their offices to rinse down the trailer after launching. (Had to have my own hose). She was also willing to keep an eye on the truck and trailer, but said they've never had any problems. It's not that far south of Nanaimo. Or if you want to drive farther to the north, Telegraph Cove Harbor I believe you told me about before my trip two years ago, was real nice also, but parking was $30 a week or $5 day I believe. Colby

Thnx Colby. I may have mentioned Telegraph Cove. It is a favorite of mine for the north end of Vancouver Island. I was looking to move the tow rig south down the Island for part of my time, and am planning on crossing the Strait of Georgia to Princess Louisa for a while. That's why I picked Nanaimo. Ladysmith would be an option to go around Whisky Golf on the south end. Did you call the "Lady Smith Fishermans Wharf launch" ahead of time to make arrangements?

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, but she said it wouldn't be a problem, just come when ever. When I was there the fleet was still in so there was no room to slip at the marina, however there is another marina, The Maritime Society, just south that was more for pleasure craft with some room. (But no launch to my memory.) The launch at Fishermans is a bit older, but worked fine for the C-Dory. There's not a lot of parking, but I had no problem finding a spot as I launched on a week day. It's basically just one parking row, but maybe 20 spots? Even if I couldn't have used the water bib there, just a block away is a nice large car/truck do it yourself wash, and even had an outboard flush attachment on the one end. I don't remember it being that far of a drive from Nanaimo. Just give the harbor master, Cheryl Bryski. a call and ask her if there is anything special going on and let her know you are coming. She was quite polite and helpful. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colby, very much. Good info.

?? Are you going to make it out to Friday Harbor this year -- May 14 -17 or more?

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
? Are you going to make it out to Friday Harbor this year -- May 14 -17 or more?

I’d like to but we’re heading down to Branson around then and have a pretty full summer schedule planned already! Very Happy
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Sorry to miss you here. Maybe catch up later in the year or ....

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: