The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Torqeedo 1003 as Kicker/dinghy motor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

croakz, how are you liking that epropulsion motor?? We're thinking of it (or some electric) for our 16' cruiser, just to get us home and maybe going up some rivers. When I say "get us home", I'm talking about from a mile out in the ocean to harbor. Like what I see so far just from YouTube videos...(also looking at the Torqeedo, of course, but the epropulsion seems to have some benefits over the Torqeedo). Your thoughts?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
croakz, how are you liking that epropulsion motor?? We're thinking of it (or some electric) for our 16' cruiser, just to get us home and maybe going up some rivers. When I say "get us home", I'm talking about from a mile out in the ocean to harbor. Like what I see so far just from YouTube videos...(also looking at the Torqeedo, of course, but the epropulsion seems to have some benefits over the Torqeedo). Your thoughts?

How do you know you'll only be a mile out from the harbor when the main engine quits?

Problem I see is you are limping home and then battery runs down? What do you do? With a gas kicker you have more available options if you run it out of gas.
zuunami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol, because we don't intend to go farther out from the harbor than a mile, although I guess if the main quit we could drift quite a bit Smile And the thought with electric was that it had a dedicated battery, easy to charge. But we've done more research today, and we're kind of off on a torqeedo or epropulsion electric. Just don't want to deal with the computer stuff for the price. And really don't want to pay a lot more for something like an Elco electric with a separate battery. So we are back to considering gas (to replace a 9.9 Lehr propane) - now it's what brand, etc. A couple (Suzuki and Tohatsu) have great warranties, but when an authorized service dealer is 4 or more hours away, that's not really a selling point Smile
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@zuunami sorry for the late reply.

We haven't really used our E-propulsion motor as we decided to move to a Sea Eagle kayak as our dinghy and the e-prop doesn't really work on that. So it sits in the birth to be an emergency kicker.

If I wasn't getting it to be on our dinghy, I probably go gas for a dedicated kicker. I just wish there were small EFI models.
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

croakz, thanks, we're probably going to go gas. But, I can't get the electric out of my mind. Since this boat is new to us, we'll see how she feels when we get out on the water in the spring, and whether an electric would "get us home" with tides, headwind, etc Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: