View previous topic :: View next topic  
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: LED Anchor Light Reply with quote

Hi C-Brat Friends!
our anchor light mast is pretty corroded and does not work. It lights up if you jiggle it, but thats it.
We think it would be best to just replace the whole fixture. Maybe with a folddown LED anchor light? Has anyone done this and what model did you use? Is this an easy project?
Thanks so much!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to replace it with a standard Perko Socket LED anchor light, which fits the base you have.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: LED Anchor Light Reply with quote

and if a standard Perko anchor light does not come with an LED bulb, Marinebeam has them, they fit perfectly.

Martin.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a specific suggestion, but if I were replacing the whole fixture, I would get a "real" LED one instead of just an LED bulb in a "regular" fixture. Reason being that with the LED bulb in the "regular" fixture you still have the vulnerable contact points, etc. The dedicated LED fixtures don't have all that and are usually a "potted" LED.

(I did go with the Marine Beam bulb, but that's because the fixture was in great shape and it was easy to just get the bulb; however if I were ever to replace the fixture I would go with a dedicated LED.)
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: LED light Reply with quote

Sunbeam
those were my thoughts exactly - if i have to replace the light, I may as well upgrade to a fold-down LED. Hella makes one, but is pricey - around $150.
Thanks everyone for your input! If anyone has done this upgrade, please post!
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat had a Perko combined anchor and steaming light. The bulb sockets (in a not even close to waterproof enclosure) had been getting more and more corroded over the years, and had me taking the top off and monkeying with the bulbs to get both to be on at anchor several times last summer. So this fall I removed it completely and replaced with this Attwood LED anchor/steaming light from Amazon. Three LED's, two for the steaming light, and all three for anchoring. Much brighter, folds down, and should save a good bit of electricity as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-LED-Anchor-Masthead-Light/dp/B003EWQNOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390602085&sr=8-2&keywords=led+anchor+light

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LED light Reply with quote

stclairgal wrote:
Sunbeam
those were my thoughts exactly - if i have to replace the light, I may as well upgrade to a fold-down LED. Hella makes one, but is pricey - around $150.
Thanks everyone for your input! If anyone has done this upgrade, please post!

After my Perko corroded badly about four years ago, here's what I did:

It incorporates a Tri-Lens radar reflector on the same foldable stalk as the Hella anchor light. It's a well-sealed light that uses fewer amps and is very bright. I cobbled the mounting system together from parts I had laying around, and I've been very happy with it. (The perspective of the lower picture is a little misleading - the reflector and the light are higher than the radome, not right in the line of fire!)

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the application of the TriLens and Light combination. Did you have to do any additional support for the base when adding that? Is there much additional weight from the radar reflector?

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I like the application of the TriLens and Light combination. Did you have to do any additional support for the base when adding that? Is there much additional weight from the radar reflector?

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

I was a little worried about the weight, but I used an extra heavy duty antenna mount as the base, put a little Locktite on the clamp screws, and have had no problem. The whole assembly isn't heavy enough to be a problem for the radar arch to which it's attached, but it's pretty top heavy so I did ponder whether it would stay upright in rough conditions. I thought about bracing it some way, but couldn't come up with anything practical/aeshetic/cheap (or that I could make out of stuff I had around). Anyway, four years and a lot of rough water later, everything is fine.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. I have looked at them (TriLens) for a long time and just have not figured how to make them fit on the 22.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a new anchor light as mine snagged as I went under a low hanging power wire. Surprising that my rocket launchers cleared the wire and they were nearly the same height as the anchor light.

Might as well chose an LED model.
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Attwood fold-down (#5557-20-7) - very happy with it, and I can fold it down to clear obstacles when trailering.

mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do a lot of night travel, as well as occasional anchoring. The original Perko (the double-sided, oval one) had significant salt-water corrosion issues, and the bulbs never lasted long, presumably due to vibration while in use. The unit had 2 bulbs, so initially I dealt with this by just stockpiling a bunch on the boat, and changing them as needed. One night, after discovering that I had crossed the better part of San Francisco Bay, including the main shipping channel, without either bulb working, I decided it was time to do something about it.

I had previously tried a couple of the LED replacement bulbs from Dr. LED, but the end caps had corroded off. Many of the alternatives that I found at West Marine and other chandleries just weren't as bright. Even the manufacturers only claimed 2nm, while the original Perko was 3nm. Although, arguably, the requirement for our size is only 2nm, it just didn’t seem to be a bright idea to downgrade, especially given the quantity of traffic in the bay. Even in the day those catamaran ferries can sneak up on you if you’re not careful, and at night I want to be seen.

At first I considered getting some really bright LEDs and building my own, but I discovered that the USCG approves fixtures with a specific bulb. Although USCG certification is not required, if there was ever an incident, the burden of proof would be on me, in order to prove that the lights were sufficient, instead of a legal assumption that they were.

While I was looking through some of the USCG material on the subject, I came across something that indicated what they use on some of their small craft and decided to give it a try. It is a sealed unit, so corrosion will be inhibited, and when I installed it at Two Harbors it was one of the brightest lights in the harbor, which is saying a lot as some of those boats are much larger.

The only drawback is price, but I decided it was worth it for safety, as we are out at night a lot, and sometimes anchor out. MSRP is $249 for the 3NM360W, plus $25 for an optional photodiode to turn the light off in the day, when anchoring. A pole adapter is available for $40. It is basically a small block of plastic that lets you mount it to the top of the pole used by your existing light. If you are handy, you could probably make your own, but I was short on time.

This is not the “Steaming and Anchor” light, no matter what some salesperson may tell you.
The tube adapter is not the mount sold on the same page as the light, but is found separately, as an accessory.
Although the MISEA website lists the photodiode for anchoring as an option for the 3NM360W, some retailers list it as a separate model, 3NM360WP.

Here are the links to the parts on the MISEA website:
LED 3NM Anchor 360 degree, White
Pole Mount Adapter for Signal Mate Navigation Lights

If the above links don't work you can also browse to them on the www.miseagroup.com website:
Products/LED Navigation Lights/Under 20 Meters/All Around Lights/LED 3NM Anchor 360 degree White
Products/Accessories/Plates and Adaptors/Pole Mount Adapter for Signal Mate
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I have an Attwood fold-down (#5557-20-7) - very happy with it, and I can fold it down to clear obstacles when trailering.

That design, in my experience, is not robust. I replaced the light once 'cause I didn't wanna drill the new holes a different light would require.
To Attwood's credit they have shipped replacement components twice.
Inspect the wiring where the light hinges, they are prone to being pinched.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered the Atwood 3nm for $70 shipped. Hope it works out good.

Trying to get all the boat fixes done now before the season starts. Last year was too much fixing and not enough time enjoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: