The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fOOg

City/Region: bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seafari
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Hontoon Island get together Reply with quote

Plan to be there, arrive on the 28th, look forward to meeting you all. Don & Autumn...22ft C Dory...Seafari
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...more C-brats in Florida! We will have to look into becoming the Official Florida State Boat!

Don and Autumn I've put you on our list. It looks like about 14 boats so far!
When Joyce and I decided to do this we were thinking 8 or so. This is fantastic!

Joyce and I had some friends from Colorado visit this week and took them on a cruise from Ed Stone park to Blue Spring. Lots of manatees on the river. We stopped on the Hontoon river for about a half an hour and watched them feed.
Our friends were enthralled with the beauty and the wildlife.
Our photographs from our I-phones of the manatees do not get close to the ones Mary has on a previous post....so Mary be sure to bring your camera.

I'll be posting full details next week...so stay tuned.

Here is a rough outline...
Feb.28 Official arrival day...but you can come whenever your schedule works.
We plan on having a campfire that evening down by the marina at Hontoon island. PLEASE BRING YOUR SEATING!

Mar. 1 Saturday breakfast on your own..they do sell coffee and sandwiches at the park. We have a 10 cup percolator that we will bring. I can make a donut run if requested.
At about 10 AM we are planing to do a Cruise down the St. John's to Blue Spring returning via the Hontoon river. I'm planing on just snacking for lunch but if any are interested there is the Swamp House Grill a bit farther south.

I plan on running for chicken and pizza Saterday evening around another camp fire. I'll have some cold soda and water. Bring a dish to pass.

Sunday: open.....some may want to visit....some may want to leave...some cruise. I am thinking of cruising up to Astor for lunch.

Planning for fun! But keeping it loose!

Tom and Joyce Schulke 352-789-0201
Out2C
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll be able to make this gathering after all. Will probably launch from Sanford around the 25th and stay out through March 6th, maybe longer. I'll be a bachelor for this trip, though my best friends Lily and Ifas will be along. Can't pull the boat out of the barn without them jumping in the truck. They don't care where we go, so long as they can come too. This will be my first official gathering since purchasing our original 22 Cruiser in 2000. Obviously I needed to retire!

By the way, what would be an appropriate dish for your Saturday night? I'm no cook and haven't a clue what would be appropriate. Maybe ya'll could just say bring such and such. I know I can do that :-)

cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count on seeing us this time. Although we live on the ICW in Flagler Beach, we just put "Blues Cruiser" in a slip at Crystal Cove Resort in Palatka, Florida (on the St. Johns River) so we can explore at our leisure. It's less than an hour drive from the house and gets her out of the brackish water for however long... Also we have just procured a party barge to keep at our dock for bar hopping and sunning on the ICW.

Don't know where Hontoon Park is but I'm sure we're much closer now. Great idea having a gathering on the St. Johns. We've never been south of Palatka but hear its great cruising. On weekends everybody "hooks up", literally at the sandbar or so I'm told. It's been a while, but I'm glad I checked back in with the C-brats in time to get in on this.
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright......less that 2 weeks to the Hontoon gathering.

Time for an update.

Official gathering starts on Friday ..Tom and I plan on arriving Thursday afternoon. We know of a few Brats planning on coming early as well.
You may want to visit the park early on Friday and reserve your spot before exploring the park, cruising or fishing around the area.

Facilities at Hontoon have a small camp store. Your docking fee includes: electricity, water, and use of the showers. Fees for overnight docking about $20, less for seniors.

If enough people are interested, Friday night we'll grill some Burgers and hot dogs.

Saturday evening is our main get together. Plan is to run for KFC chicken. A dish to pass will round out the meal.

All other meals are on your own. There are various restaurants on the river if you wish.

Things to bring: bug repellent, good walking shoes if you plan on joining in on hikes around the island, chairs for around the camp fire, if anyone has some fire wood for the fire we'd appreciate it. Otherwise we can purchase it from the park.

The staff at the park is very excited about our group coming and will be offering a guided hike and a program on the history if the area. Of course, tours of each other's boats is free unless you get expensive ideas!

We are designated channel 68 as our official communications channel.

See you on the St. John's and watch for any updates.

Joyce Schulke..and Tom
2004 CD 22 Comuter Out2c
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Joyce
We use channel 68 on our boat club cruises. By the way I have invited 2 guests from the Daytona Beach Boat Club to join us on Saturday 3/1. We should arrive by 9:30 am and I was planning on picking up a couple dozen donuts/cinnamon buns from Mr. Bill's downtown DeLand for Saturday's breakfast since we will not be able to be there for the dinner part of the event.

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan.....Great idea on the munchies! Just remember I like vanilla long johns. Laughing But I'll devour anything sweet. Your guests (future C-brats) Thumbs Up are more than welcome.

I'll be looking for a cruse leader on Saturday to do the loop down to Blue Springs. Anyone interested?

Welcome to the Blues Cruiser.....glad you checked on the brats site again.

There is a sign up spot on the main menu. Took me a bit to find it but I can be technically challenged.

I'll be using that list for last minute reminders so for those that have not signed up there yet please do.

Thanks...I am counting down the days....Tom Schulke
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

If by "loop" you mean to cruise the Dead Hontoon River south to the narrow channel cut and then back to the St.John's and then north to Blue Springs? Or we could do it in reverse and hit Blue Springs first. I know the way and am willing to lead if no else steps up. I know there are folks coming who know the area better than I and so I'm inclined to let them take the lead. That said, I've no doubt we can all work something out. There is no dock at Blue Springs, so for those contemplating a visit to the Springs, be advised it is a beach landing only. I'll be glad to hang back to keep an eye on the boats since I'll have my two dogs with me and with the weekend crowds I doubt I'll be going into the park. They're just as happy on or in the water.

My tentative plan is to launch at Ed Stone. Haven't used that area before but I'm attracted to that location because it keeps me from having to travel through Orlando. Looks like a nice ride to boot. Do you know if the toll road Webster Beltway (hwy 429) is one of those where you have to slow and pay every 5 miles? Or is it one where you pay entering and leaving? My map program shows that as the best route with a 3h 5m estimated travel time. From your earlier post it appears to me that you launch at the Park but keep your trailer at the marina just north of there. Is that correct?
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spur of the minute thing.

If we can find that bottle of Chocolate wine that is here somewhere in the back of the pantry, we might just trailer on over for this event.

Tex and Sharon
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a stash of that stuff, Tex I haven't seem you without it in a couple of years. I sure hope you come! This a wonderful area, you will not regret it.
We will have a great time.

Bruce & Joyce
Carpy
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon will not let me launch the boat unless there is Chocolate wine on board.
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James....normally I launch at Ed Stone park and just leave my whole rig in the public parking lot. This time because I am a host for the event I will park my trailer at the marina behind Ed Stone park. My wife with then drive down to Hontoon islands parking lot with the truck. That way we can make any store runs. They have a big parking lot and great ramps at Ed Stone.

Yes ....your right there are no public docks at Blue Springs but beaching is easy if there are not too many boats. They do have good restroom facilities.....and usually a lot of manatees in the Springs. lots of good manatee sighting this winter.

We can elect a cruse leader on Saturday.

I'm not sure of tolls on the road you are using...never been on it!

Thanks for volunteering! We will keep you busy.....but not too busy!

Heading out tomorrow from Salt Springs north to Welaka for a day cruse with some friends....lots to see on the St. John's.

Tom
Out2C
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex,

We won a bottle of "ChocoVine" last week but have never tried it.

I'll put it on the boat ... come on 'Down!

Best,
Casey&Mary

jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since everyone is vollentering I'll bring my fire tool and starter and manage the fire. I'll even bring music if thats cool.
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff.....your on..for fire and entertainment. I am digging around my shed for old building lumber (not treated) and will bring what I can find.
The only way I know how to start fires is with gasoline and flares. NOT allowed in the park!
Big thanks.......Tom Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: