The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comments on the St Johns:
There are numerous manatee on the river, but the murky water make seeing them difficult. We have had them come close to the boats while anchored, but most sightings are a swirl of water as the breathe or dive. In winter when the water is cool they congregate in the springs which are a constant 72 or so. The springs are crystal clear and are the place to observe them. One year at Blue Springs Park (very near Hontoon) there were over 300! The springs are closed to boating, even kayaks, but you beach and walk in.

We have taken Carpy to the dam on the Oklawaha several times and have even made it through Bear Creek but I probably wouldn't recommend that. We had to pull the motors and manhandle her through but we made it. Probably a better river for kayaks. Very beautiful!

We have more snow, wind and sub zero temps here. I see my eye doc tomorrow and hope to be able to resume prepping Carpy and start to plan getting to Florida.

Bruce Cassal
Carpy
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: St Johns & Ocklawaha Reply with quote

Hi everybody Cliff here I'm gonna be on St Johns Fri 24th. I launch at "Holly Bluff Marina" when I'm alone and don't have launching help I can keep my car and trailer there over night as well. There facility is on line and their number 386 822 9992.
The Ocklawaha rocks and has good history I'll share at Hontoon Island event coming up. I have run Ocklawaha twice from Mt Dora to Jacksonville with a 13ft Whaler, I take a chain saw because it is not uncommon for a tree to fall across and block you. The trees on the river don't have a strong root system and are blown over in squalls. Like I have read on this sight before, it's kind of an "African Queen" run. A real adventure you need to be prepped for. It is "against the law" as well to cut the trees. Go figure, it's on federal land in the "Ocala Forest". Also be aware the Buckman Lock which is how you enter the Ocklawaha from St Johns closes at 1PM so you need to be aware. As you can read I'm a little passionate about this run.

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....lots of interest in the St. John's. Joyce and I took a short cruse in the Out2C down to Hontoon State Park today to talk to the rangers about our C-brat gathering. They look forward to our arrivals and we are on their calendar for Feb. 28 thru March 2. We were told we could have a campfire down by the docks and picnic tables. If the group wants we could have a ranger give a talk about the history of the area. All in all a good visit. We saw about a dozen manatees on the river, lots of birds and a few alligators. None tried to crawl in our boat. One camp host told us about a standup paddle boarder with his dog and a gator tried to crawl onto it to have dog for lunch!

They do NOT accept reservations for the Marina at the park. 40 spots so it should not be a big problem. Once you are there you can pay for and hold your slip for the rest of your stay. Also once you are there you can hold one spot for a friend. Sooooooo if you are going to come later in the day we will do what we can to have a "friend" hold a spot for you. Twisted Evil

The address is: Hontoon Island state park
2309 River Ridge Road
Deland, Fl. 32709
386-786-5309

Cliff noted that you can also launch at Holly Bluff Marina cost is $10.00 to launch and $5.00 a night for truck and trailer. I generally launch at Ed Stone and have left my rig there for 3 or 4 days with no problem but it is not a secured area. Nice folks at Holly Bluff and they sell nonethonal gas.
I'll make some calls tomorrow about other launching areas and post here.

Linda and Alan.....I've put you down on my list...glad you are going to join us.

TYBOO set up a events sign up for us so if everyone could also sign up there it will be easier for Joyce and I to PM everyone with more info.

Dave and Ginny....I see others answered your questions well about the Ocklawaha...great. Going up that way will take you across lake George. Use caution if it's windy! It can be very rough and lots of crab pots. But if it's nice try to check out Silver Glen Springs.

More tomorrow
Tom Schulke
Out2C
Larry K

City/Region: Port Huron, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Odyssey
Photos: The Odyssey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all goes will we will be there. I may have to work a county election on the 25th but may try to get out of it. Also my mother-in-law is in a nursing home and I’ll know better if we can make the trip when it gets closer to our departure time.

We already had planned to spend the month of March on the St. Johns and this would be a great start to our trip. We spent two weeks on the St Johns River last March and loved it. We spent a day at Hontoon Park and wanted to spend the night but ended up at Hontoon Landing across the river. We had planned on launching at Pier 44 Marina. Dose anybody know anything about the marina or where we can leave our car and trailer for the 4 weeks we’re on the river?

Larry & Wendy Krabach
The Odyssey

Larry K C-Brat #150
The Odyssey
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry.....sure hope it works out for you and Wendy to get down here where it's warmer. I'll put you down on my list. There is also a events sign up on the menu on the main page. If you could also sign up there it will help.

Pier 44 did not answer my call today but I'll try again tomorrow.

Right across the 44 bridge behind Ed Stone park is:
St. John's Marina Resort
2999 St. Road 44 West
386-736-6601
$10.00 ramp fee $5.00 nite parking

Some like to launch by Astor Florida and there is a great place that has a secured lot. Here's the contact info for them.

Astor marine LLC
24535 State Road 40
Astor Fl. 32102
352-759-3655

They do my mechanical work on my Honda 90. Nice folks.

Tom and Joyce Schulke
2004 CD-22 Commuter
Out2C

It's looking to be a Great Event!
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: St. John's River gathering Reply with quote

We're C-Brat owners from Michigan spending February in Florida. We'd like to attend the St. John's gathering. Our boat is "up north", but we would like to show up for the Saturday night potluck. Looks like we could get to the State Park by ferry or we could make arrangements to stay at the nearby Hontoon Resort.

Any thoughts or suggestions for us?

Hank and Pat Clow
Meri Aura
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Hank and Pat
Will be great to have at the gathering. They do have camping and cabins available at Hontoon park. My wife says the cabins are very primitive. Hontoon resort is right across the river....never stayed there but looks nice. Not far from the free park ferry. We are planing to do a little cruse on Saturday on the Hontoon Loop down to Blue Springs. I'm sure there will be room on someone's C-Dory you if you arrive in the morning. We can dinghy anyone across the St. John's after park hours. See you there!

Tom and Joyce Schulke
2004 Cd 22 Commuter
Out2C
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had successful eye surgery on thursday and am on the mend. We are expecting to see you all (pun intended) at Hontoon on the 28th. The wind is howling and the winter remains fierce. Florida is looking mighty appealing!

Bruce Cassal
"Carpy"
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce..... Great news! Come on down! I promise that it will warmer here and the water much softer.

Tom Schulke
Out2C
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary and I are definitely looking forward to this outing. It will be our first cruise west of the Mississippi. We'll first be having some much anticipated work done at Wefing's, which should be completed by late Thursday if all goes according to plan. They have been great to coordinate with at such a distance and we look forward to meeting Marc and Ron. We then hope to be back on the road and headed down to the gathering by that Friday morning, launching at the ramp nearby Astor Marine by later in the day. Thanks to Tom for recommending Astor Marine for the secure storage of our SUV and trailer. I spoke to Georgia at Astor and she was a delight, very happy to oblige us. Looking forward to this cruise and to meeting folks. We still have a lot to learn and these gatherings are always educational and fun!

Rob
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be our first cruise west of the Mississippi.

Opps!! Should have turned east. Idea

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Yep, meant "east" of the Mississippi. No wonder we haven't been there yet - always went the wrong way... I guess going west from the Mississippi to reach Florida would be considered the long way around, the really really long way around. But it would make a good story right?

Rob Embarassed
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Joyce
I know it's early but is there a schedule or plan for Saturday 3/1? Just trying to get an idea of what time to meet up and where folks plan on traveling to after that. Thanks again for starting this. It has really taken off. Kind of nice to have this event in our own back yard.

BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guaranteed you will see manatees on this CBGT! And lots of alligators, great blue herons, egrets and all kinds of Florida critters.

Here is a mom and babe we saw at Blue Springs (about 4 miles south of Hontoon Island). Bring your bathing suit as you can swim there:

For more photos of our recent St. John's trip and our mini CBGT (4 boats) at Hontoon Island: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com/St-Johns-River-Trip-Oct-Nov/

Thank you Tom and Joyce for getting this organized!

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and Mary
Great photo. The highest manatee count I heard during our cold spell was 330. The most I have ever seen on our visits was 185.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: