The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carpy album can be quite "dangerous" (in a good way, of course Mr. Green). The Carpy logs of their cruising in the St. John's area have added that to my list too Thumbs Up

A couple months ago I saw Carpy's helm seat mod that allows the seatback to lay full down, thus allowing it to become an extension of the galley counter. I could not later remember whose pictures I had viewed to see that mod. Today I was glancing at pix of the boats responding to this thread and there it was. I have raised both helm and forward facing seats 4" to allow better fwd visibility while underway, but this would still allow a flat working surface. I hope to have mine done before 28Feb.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Nerds, please make it happen!

Tom, that's how you make it happen. Just pray to the nerd gods. And put a buck or two in the tip jar once in awhile!! Laughing

Now we'll see how many sign up for it.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.... And I sent TyBoo a PM asking him to help. This is such a great web site and the C-brat people the best! 6 possible 7 so far. I'm going to take the Out2C down to Hontoon tomorrow and talk with the rangers there. Yes.....I could phone but it's more fun this way. Wink

Tom Schulke
Out2C
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think Tyboo (Mike Barber) is in Las Vegas, the last time I heard from him (on FB), getting married! Rolling Eyes Hope I didn't let the Cat out of the bag Mike!

He may have done it but he may have also been "busy"....The other Nerd is Bill Giese and he's usually very responsive too...

Charlie
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: 02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River Reply with quote

Tom,
I wondered about how long it would take to go from Astor to Sanford by boat? Depending on the weather we might put in at Astor on the 24th. We might see you on Friday but we are leaving for home on Saturday or early Sunday at the latest.
D.D.

jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Astor to Sanford Reply with quote

Hi I'm Cliff from the area, I'd guess 6hrs due to all the no wake zones, there are a few
Will-C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: 02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River Reply with quote

Cliff,
Thanks for the info.
D.D.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D D
Cliff had the time about right if you push it. Sometimes it takes me days to make it that far but my favorite speed is about 6 mph. Lots of Manatees in the area now and one must be very careful to be at the correct speed in the no wake zones. I plan on launching Friday morning from Ed Stone park on HW 44. Joyce and I will be at Hontoon all day to greet people. So be sure to stop on by....should be a few other c-brats to visit with.

See you then....Tom Schulke

out2c
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering, would we see manatees on the lake? That's very cool.

We are trying to make this work for us... its kind of up to Weflings to give us a budget for time and money needed in Appalachiola prior to coming to the lake. We are hoping to have solar installed.

Mary McClain
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobMclain, Understand you are going to Lake Martin first. If there is any way to fit in the Hontoon trip you will never regret it. Having grown up in the Lake Martin area (but not boated there in probably 50 years), and now living and boating on the Tenn. river, I can tell you the adventure of the St. Johns river will far exceed all you will do elsewhere. The wildlife, scenery, and weather are not to be missed. Alligators, manatee, and birds are be enjoyed along with Cypress trees and clear springs. ALL ONE MAN'S OPINION, but would hate to see anyone so far from home miss that opportunity.
Ron

Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: 02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River Reply with quote

Tom,
We will leave Long Key Feb 23th and head up to your area 300+ miles and put in locally at the Ed Stone Park ramp. We want to wonder north down river to Welaka and check out the Ocklawaha river a little bit. I wondered should we just take the dinghy up the Ockawaha river or just barge right in there with the boat. I also wondered if you can leave the tow rig at Ed Stone Park for a few days? Thank you and Cliff for the local info. Looking forward to meeting everyone on Friday. We are in but we should be hitting the road home on Sunday. I see the average temps in Feb range in between a low of 46 and a high of 70 degrees. Much better than in Pa. Tomorrow here 10 + inches of snow and a low of 2 degrees. The ten day for these parts does not look much better. We gotta get outa here.
Dave and Ginny Deem
Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan and I are planning a cruise on the St. John's during that time. Would like for you to count us in for those days. Cliff I will pm you for some local info. Thanks Linda
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
Tom,
We will leave Long Key Feb 23th and head up to your area 300+ miles and put in locally at the Ed Stone Park ramp. We want to wonder north down river to Welaka and check out the Ocklawaha river a little bit. I wondered should we just take the dinghy up the Ockawaha river or just barge right in there with the boat. I also wondered if you can leave the tow rig at Ed Stone Park for a few days? Thank you and Cliff for the local info. Looking forward to meeting everyone on Friday. We are in but we should be hitting the road home on Sunday. I see the average temps in Feb range in between a low of 46 and a high of 70 degrees. Much better than in Pa. Tomorrow here 10 + inches of snow and a low of 2 degrees. The ten day for these parts does not look much better. We gotta get outa here.
Dave and Ginny Deem

I have taken my (now sold) pontoon boat up the Ocklawaha from the St Johns with the full enclosure for camping aboard erected. This results in a vessel that is as long, higher, and slightly wider than a C-Dory. Very shallow mouth of river, and marked only by local boaters as you make the many turns passing the many forks in the river. But no reason not to take the C-Dory all the way to the dam. We have even anchored close to dam area overnight, around a bend to have privacy from fishermen using pier at the dam. Beautiful trip and well worth it. It's a shame the dam has been left in place after Cross Fl Barge Canal was discontinued back in the 70's.

Don't swim here! The gators have all been fed from dock by humans and will expect to find food around humans. Illegal to feed gators in FL for this reason. Your hand or leg is food as far as they are concerned.
In summer I swim, alongside the boat, in many of the areas where we anchor along the St Johns where the gators are wild and thus avoid humans.
Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: 02/28 - 03/02 - St. John's River Reply with quote

Thanks Roy that's great info. We travel with an older bulldog. It sounds like a great place to strap a couple pork chops on her life vest and send her out for a swim. Very Happy My wife is seriously challenged by the whole alligator thing. I'm thinking she will probably lock and maybe barricade the door at night. Maybe also in the daytime.
About how many miles from the river up to the dam?
D.D.
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About how many miles from the river up to the dam?

This just a guess, about 5 mi and about 1 hr or a little more. I seem to pay little attention to time/distance until it gets close to happy hr.

PS, gators might visit by swimming around the boat, but I've never had one try to board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: