The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/30 - 10/02 - Sequim Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked at the weather and decided to stay home and fish in this area. I will near the lowel area on the snohomish on saturday and the ship wreck is that is slow. hope you all have fun at sequim with out us. And I hope Iam wrong about the weather.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another great gathering in the books. Thanks to all who helped make it a memorable weekend. Great to see old friends and to meet some wonderful new folks, with and without boats. This C-Dory bug, when it bites you, it's all over. Laughing That's a good thing! Pretty impressive group that I feel honored to be a part of.

Saturday was a beautiful day. Spent the day fishing (not catching) but it was incredible to be out on the water surrounded by such beauty. The potluck was of course superb. The campfire warming and fun. The night sky last evening was a thing to behold. And the sunrise this am- you will have to wait for the photos of that. Wow!

This mornings weather made me glad for the millionth time that my boat is a C-Dory. Darn fine boat. To the C-Dory Cocktail

(PS It was great to see you, Dusty!)

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe pix in the a.m. - right now, my hands haven't stopped shaking from the trip home. The event was all that Robbi said, and more - great day fishing (not catching), great potluck and campfire, and breakfast at the Oak Table was pretty special.

Getting to Sequim has never been been the problem. This year, we decided to cruise over from Everett, and it was a piece of cake getting there, 54 miles in just under 3 hours, Garmin trip computer said moving average of 19 statute miles per hour. Getting home, however, has always been a different story. In 2003 and 2004 it was pea soup fog. In 2005 it was a "stiff breeze" - which I think is an understatement.

We waited as long as we could for it to die down, then poked our nose out into the Strait about 1:30 p.m., and it didn't look too bad outside Sequim Bay for the first mile or so. We had considered a number of options, like leaving the boat at John Wayne, and taking up the offer of a ride from Brock, but we made the "go" decision in that first mile. Then it got gnarly - 3- 4 footers, about 9 knots max. We took a pretty good pounding here, Patty vows she is not going to Alaska (what the heck THAT has to do with THIS trip, I really don't know).

We rounded Point Wilson, and then went inside Marrowstone Island - a little choppy, but we ran at a good clip - maybe 12 - 14 knots, things are looking up! Through Townsend Channel to Oak Bay, my Gawd, back in the 3 - 4 footers, back down to 8 - 9 knots. Big time pounding. Patty is NOT a happy camper. Oscar however is not complaining. Crossed Admiralty Inlet, amazingly light, runing 11 - 12 knots all the way across, things are looking up! Ditto down Whidbey to the south tip.

Then, rounding the southern tip of Whidbey, the WORST we have ever been in, I would say 5 - 6 footers, and they seemed to be coming from two directions at once - down to 6 knots, and it was enough to jar your fillings loose, we just got pounded mercilessly here. Patty was calling this the "trip from Hell" and vowing she would never speak to me again. Oscar however was a real trooper.

Around the corner, all was calm again, and we ran at 14 - 16 knots all the way in to Everett, arrived 6:00 p.m., uneventful retrieval, uneventful trip home. Amazingly, the time back for the same 54 miles was only 4-1/2 hours, it definitely seemed longer. Patty is barely back to speaking to me again, but I DOUBT she will be interested in cruising to Sequim again...we are still hopeful for Alaska!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

We are home Thumbs Up Thanks to everyone who has called and those who have emailed...we are most grateful for your concern. It was a rather ROUGH trip home. We left John Wayne at 2:20 and arrived Bellingham 6:35.. Really good timing. Joe is an excellent mariner (and boat surfer). Don't know what I'd do without him. We're sure happy that we have a C-Dory that can manage so well in adverse conditions. To use Joe's words, "It's one tough a$$ boat". Hope that Daydream and Two Lucky Fish have made it home safely.

Our sincere thanks to Jon and Cynthia for a wonderful get-together. You are great hosts. Our thanks, too, to everyone else who attended and helped to make this Sequim weekend such a wonderful memory. We just had a great time visiting with everyone. Mac & Linda, great job on my t-shirts and the new pirate flag for the R-Matey. Jim, I appreciated you showing me how to fish. Fred & Robin, loved that ice cream sundae. What a wonderful idea Thumbs Up And.....not to forget Roger and Lisbeth...got to enjoy that wonderful fresh corn for the second time this month, plus being chauffeured to the restaurant Thumbs Up

Ah, life is good Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Ruth & Joe
(R-Matey)
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth & Joe , Pat & Patty , Mack , and all the others that had to cruise home
I am so glad to read that you all made it home safely
I was quite worried that you would get out in the straits and have problems. the ferry was even bouncing around a bit when we returned to Whidbey from Port Townsend.

Well, it was another great gathering for the books.It was nice to see old faces and also to see new ones.It was a good potluck (as usual).The fire was nice (thanks Jon for the firewood).It is tooo bad that it was kinda drizzley while we were eating but it didn't seem to matter much.....lol....

We are looking forward to seeing you all at the next gathering(where ever it will be) and definatly at the Boat Show/Brat convention (SBS/CBC) in January

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: What a Trip! Reply with quote

Made it home - finally - and I can echo Pat's commentary on the weather. The trip back was indeed an adventure - I hugged the shore to minimize the waves and was surprised that I didn't get hammered rounding into Port Townsend. The run behind Marrowstone was great - I cheated for a while and followed the wake of a mega yacht. But when we popped out the other side of the ship channel, things just got a little to nasty for this ole' retired guy. I couldn't keep up with the mega yacht, so.... even after dropping to 5 kts, I kept crashing down on too many waves...so....

Port Ludlow was just off the starboard side, so I pulled over and spent the night. Calm anchorage, warm shower and a beautiful rain storm turned the evening into a very pleasurable night. I think the wine helped too.

Am really glad Pat & Patty, and Ruth & Joe made it. I would have guessed it would take a very long time before Patty would speak to Pat again. A little narly indeed (Pat's description on the radio - which was the last transmission I heard from him). I continue to be impressed how these C-Dories perform. Sure glad I got me one.

Thanks to all for a great weekend - what's next?

Mac
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you three boats made it home safely! I was worried about all of you. I'm always relieved when both cruisers and drivers are home safe and sound. After all, the trip ain't over till it's over.

Gotta run, but thanks to everyone for another award winning adventure. You're all fun people I enjoy spending time with, and I appreciate all that you give.
Star
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! You are all home and accounted for. Pat and Patty, Ruth and Joe. And Mac, I was worried about you this morning, (the last of the three brave ships to check in) but I should have known that your seamanship and that seaworthy craft would make it home safely as did the two other "tough a$$" boats and their superb crews. Robbi
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Robbin and I got on the 12:10 ferry out of Kingston we were looking at the water and wondering how everyone was making out. Glad to hear that all is well. These boats and their owners both keep on amazing me.
It was again a great gathering with special thanks to Jon and Cynthia for all their hard work. Thanks again Jon for the fishing trip, no fish but a great afternoon.
Joe and Ruth, don't forget to check on Bellingham.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was sorry that we missed this one, but I don't think I would have liked the ride back to Twin Bridges. I'm glad you all got back safe and sound.

Pat I'm wondering about how the 25 handled the seas. Specifically, did you take any water into the cockpit? If so did the self bailing deck drain it all out quickly?

I know that you had both the sea and Patty pounding on you, so you may not have been noticing the cockpit. Is there anything else that you observed (good or bad) about the boat's handling?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fantastic time with everyone, what a group. Thanks everyone for making the potluck a big success and the weekend a blast.

Jon
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, we are waiting for pictures! Gotta live vicariously you know....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great time! I really enjoyed meeting you C-Brats, hearing stories and sharing food and drink. Steve got home today and this evening, we've been swapping weekend event talk...he's wishing he'd come to the gathering, rather than hunting with 12 other guys -- he didn't get anything, and after a couple shots were fired, nobody did!....go figure! Looks like he's interested in the Boat Show gathering, so I'm thinkin we can say we'll be there Very Happy

What a great, warm group....nothin like another C-Dory owner, eh? Smile

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing more pictures...I didn't get one with the dock full o' Dorys...sure hope someone has one. Be well and happy safe boating

Caty n Steve
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sounds like quit and adventure getting home. Sure glad everyone made it okay. I am looking forward to when I have the time to do as Mac did - if it is rough pull in and wait. Also having the time to get to more gatherings.

At the end of our first CD trip last year we got into some similar stuff on the way back to Anacortes. Probably not as bad or as long but still scary.

Pat - you took a good pic of SeaSpray at the top of Waddington Channel. on the Desolation trip. Thanks for posting it.

We hope to get to the SBS this year.
Steve
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made it home with a lot less excitement than those who went by water. Easy drive, no problems.

Thanks once again to all who braved the untypical weather for that Sequim place where it rarely rains. I think they got their year's quota in one night.

Thanks also to the few of you who were wheedled and needled into making the trip. It meant a lot to us.

It was great to meet the new and prospective new CBs! I do want to apologize to Richard for wimping out and taking a nap and sleeping right through his departure without so much as a good bye and thanks again for the fishing weights. The lead is appreciated and will certainly be useful.

Despite the two old folks in our crew being sickly the whole weekend, we all had a great time. It was especially rewarding to us because it was the only trip we made up there this season. Watch out next year!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: