The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How much anchor line/chain in the Pacific Northwest?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: How much anchor line/chain in the Pacific Northwest? Reply with quote

While looking at charts of Puget Sound today I was surprised to see that much of the area has depths of hundreds of feet almost up to the shoreline which got me to thinking about how much rode would be required for anchoring in the area. My usual boating areas, Pamlico Sound and Beaufort Inlet (eastern NC) are quite shallow by comparison. There are only a few places in the Pamlico over twenty feet deep and I have to go almost 20 miles offshore of Beaufort Inlet to find a hundred feet of water. Glenda Jean has 230 feet of half inch 8 plait and 20 feet of quarter inch chain attached to a 16.5 pound claw anchor. Sometimes I find that I have to reach down the deck pipe and push the line aside to get the last 20 feet of line down the pipe. The chain usually goes down no problem but now and then I have to reach in and push it aside too.

I was just wondering how much rode those of you in the Pacific Northwest generally have aboard for anchoring in the much deeper water? And, how much rode will actually fit in the C-Dory's rode locker? I'm not planning a trip up that way, I was just curious.

Thanks!

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to anchor anywhere overnight on the inside passage that would require any more than 200 ft to get a 5-1 scope. Most popular anchorages would have plenty of places that a c-dory could anchor in less than 25 ft of water. Bring a stern line though because it is often required when anchoring is shallower water to prevent swinging into areas too shallow or into other boats. Especially in peak times in popular areas such as desolation sound.

On edit: I see you are specifically asking about Puget Sound. My experience would only apply to the northern San Juan islands. I haven't anchored in Puget sound so I suppose it could be somewhat different.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't Puget Sound, but when I was first up in BC waters (Gulf Islands/Inside Passage) some years ago, I was similarly impressed with the depths. I'd look up an (otherwise) great looking anchorage on the charts and then notice, "um.... it's 400' deep Shocked" We were not set up specifically for the PNW and thus just had our regular 300' of chain (~30' sailboat). What we did was supplement with a spool of line (must have been 400' or so, but I forget exactly) that we kept on the stern rail. With that we would find a sheltered (but ridiculously deep) cove, anchor by the bow relatively close to shore with as much scope as we could (would often only be 2:1 or so), and then row the stern line to shore and tie it to a tree so we'd end up bow out and stern to shore (this works because it's very sheltered).

Will be interesting to hear from the area regulars on this.

Sunbeam

PS: I had the opposite experience when first boating on the Chesapeake. It seemed so weird to be out all day on a bigger boat and never in more than 18' of water!
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set my 20 ft cuddy cab IB with a stern tie floating line, using enough line I could run a loop ashore and tie off back at the boat, making for an easier exit. Some of the coves in the Gulf Islands have iron rings set on shore in the sandstone, at times a scramble to reach, but necessary when boats stack up. It is worth scrounging a small leftover spool, screwing in a handle, and using a piece of inch and a quarter dowel (collared) pivoting inside a Scotty rod holder for laying out and retrieving. The line stores a lot better, also, on the spool.

Thought I had a photo of the rod holder and spool, laying out line, but I guess not. I used their model 230, but other variations will also work.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/powerlock.htm

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. Your gear should be fine. While we have deep water in many areas of Wash/BC, most places we anchor are reasonable. One can usually work into shallower parts of most coves and bays. Some exceptions occur of course but we find we rarely if ever get to the bottom of the anchor locker. Deepest place I've overnited was Comox outer Harbour in 110 ft on 140 ft of rode due to crowded buoys. It was a calm night. Many times we get into 20 ft in most popular places. Kerri On has about 265 ft of rode. 45 of chain and 220 rope onto the 22 lb claw. We anchor all over.
George
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George is right. While the water here is deep one can almost always find an anchorage in 40' or less. We have 300' of line and 35' of chain with a17#(I think) Delta plow anchor. We have never had a problem. Sometimes we carry about 350' of 3/8" poly for a stern tie.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Garrett ,

I'd just like to point out that the Pacific Coast is on a subduction zone, whilst the Atlantic Coast is on the back side of continental drift.

I learned how to sail on the West Coast and when we got back to the East Coast, you're right, 20' WAS deep. Cultural shock.

I once anchored in 150' of water (at high tide,) in Alaska. Had 100' of chain and 200' of rope. Everything worked out fine. You're good to go.

By the way, when are you coming out?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 5 years of trips to AK, the deepest we anchored in 100 feet--and that was only in one place--Ford's Terror. Often we would anchor close to shore, pulling the stern to the bank, so we were pulling up slope on the sea bed. Lines to shore.

With the C Dory 25 we had 300 feet of line and 50 feet of chain--more than adequate. The 22 we have 200 feet of line, an extra 200 feet and 25 feet of chain. Works fine every where we have gone.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: How much anchor line/chain in the Pacific Northwest? Reply with quote

I agree with George on Kerri On, you can usually work the boat into shallower water. 300' of 1/2" rode and 50' of 1/4" chain is lots and is probably getting close to maxing out the anchor locker. I carry 185' rode and 35' chain. Have never had a problem anchoring in these parts looking for 60' of water or less since I have had the C-Dory.

I anchored once in Pendrell Sound on my 33' sailboat (before I moved to the dark side). My stern was about 20' from the shore, probably about 15' of water under the stern. I dropped my bow anchor into 75' !!!

Martin.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry around 300 feet of rode, and it has been fine up and down the Inside Passage, and all over Puget Sound. Just one word of caution if you are unfamiliar with the area. Not only are the waters often quite deep, the tide changes can also be dramatic. Anchoring in 15 feet of water at high tide can be a very bad idea in some places. Check the depths, and the tides, before you pick a spot to drop the hook.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used 200ft total and 150ft total on a couple of boats and like to anchor. Never had a problem. But, if I were purchasing new gear I would just pick the anchor and chain needed and add as much rode as I could comfortably fit. If you buy too much just carry the extra as an extender.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On SleepyC, I carry 250 feet of rode including 70 feet of 1/4" chain with a 14 lb Delta. I don't often anchor, (rarely) but when I have, it has been in about 15 - 20 feet and it has only been for short duration, not overnight yet. The rode is 3 strand and and I have it marked at 20 ft lengths.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Moon anchors all over BC and SE Alaska in 45-50 feet or less the vast majority of the time. Some inlets that are particularly steep-to at their head, where the outflow of a river creates a shelf, are easier to deal with safely if we can handle 60-65 feet - especially when spring tides range up to 23 feet. If we head up into one of these and find we need to do 60', it can be quite a distance to the next anchorage.

If there's a fair amount of wind, we might use 250 feet of rode or occasionally even more. Most often we use 130-180', but we carry 300' of rope spliced to 46' of chain. And an extra 300 feet of rope and spare anchor.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: