RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outrigger, I had the same no-fuel problem on my 2006 Suzuki 90. After all other parts had been replaced it turned out that the fuel pickup tubes inside both tanks had shattered from age.

This meant removing the pickups from both tanks while still in the boat (had to do that to get clearance to remove the tanks). My tanks were made by Moeller and their customer service is at 800-432-8344. They were helpful. You can get replacement pickups in two lengths. I got the shorter ones, which don't make it to the bottom of the tanks; a friend did his and got the longer ones and cut them to length, which was a better idea since he can now get to all the fuel.

They used two different kinds of fittings to attach the pickups to the tanks: one is threaded (what I had) and one is pop-lock or snap ring. On Moeller's website you can find photos and instructions for removing them. As I remember it was less than obvious to find these photos -- had to poke around some.

When doing it I also replaced the anti-siphon valves in both barb fittings, though after looking at them this step could have been skipped. They're cheap anyhow.
Reddog

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel will draw from the tank, thru the Racors and to the engines. I know this from ingesting some gas whilst sucking on the lines. I confirmed the delivery by using a 12V Facet pump.
No crossover, stock tank configuration.
On engine filters are clear. Hard to imagine 4 engine mounted fuel pumps all failing at the same time. Plus, the "rattle" of the Facet pump would increase as the engines were "revved" which would indicate to me that the engine mounted pumps were sucking a little more fuel that the Facet could supply. (If you have ever used these crappy little pumps, you know how noisy they can be unless the system is "charged" with fuel pressure.
I agree with the oddity of only one primer bulb. That should be resolved by mid week hopefully.
And we are at a fairly high altitude, but the engines idled well and did not bog under WOT, just suffered from too steeply pitched props. Another item on the list....
Thanks for the input!

"No, I don't fish. Yet...."
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: fuel pick ups Reply with quote

My 2010 22 Cruiser is acting just as you describe. I installed a new primer bulb last week and it worked great-until we lost prime again half mile out. How do you remove the tank covers? Did you order replacements from Moeller or did your local guy have some? Thanks
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept getting dual engine failures. Replaced everything from the engine to the tank. It turned out both fuel pick ups were broken off 1/2 inch from the top of both tanks. They had gotten brittle and coincidentally both broke at the same time.

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Rascal wrote:
I kept getting dual engine failures. Replaced everything from the engine to the tank. It turned out both fuel pick ups were broken off 1/2 inch from the top of both tanks. They had gotten brittle and coincidentally both broke at the same time.

Well now I could kick myself. Just pulled both tanks and put in new fuel lines. Pick ups were stiff but in good working order. Shoulda tossed a couple new ones in while it was all pulled apart! That’s some rough luck both of them failing simultaneously!
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: bent fuel vent hose...what a relief! Reply with quote

see my photos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: