Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OUTRIGGER

City/Region: Lake Conroe, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bella Juliette
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Fuel not getting to motor Reply with quote

Gas in not making it to the 90 hp Honda, (2004 22'). I put on a new primer and checked all the hose clamps. Lines look fine, tank is half full. I took off the motor connector and pumped, no gas at all, nothing but air. On the upstream side of the bulb I have the multi tank valve, and then what ever is in the tank to draw up the gas.
Has anyone has this problem? Hope I don't have to pull the tank and get into it.

digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that your tank selector valve is in the correct position for the tank you are drawing from. If you are sure that your tank selection is correct, then pull the hose off the tank and connect it to a portable, and try it. When you hold the primer bulb, make sure it is upright -- in some cases the checkvalve does not function unless gravity is pulling the ball down to seal each time the bulb is squeezed.
OUTRIGGER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Digger, never have thought about the bulb being upright, always just been on top of the tank horizontal. I will try this first.
Never have moved the tank selector so know it's OK.
Next I will try the portable tank. That will be great to help isolate the problem
Thanks for your help.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. Make sure arrow on bulb is pointing to engine
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: No fuel Reply with quote

For us, it was the water separator. We were stranded and could not figure out why no fuel was getting to the motor. But when we bypassed the water separator, she ran fine.
We replaced the separator unit, it was pretty corroded. Problem fixed!
Good luck!

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If none of those thing pan out check the fuel pick up in the tank. I have seen then fall off before, no on a cdory but a tank is a tank. Also check the little filter on the end of the pick up. some tanks have them some do not.
OUTRIGGER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. It was so cold & windy yesterday so have not gone back to the marina. Did get some gas in a portable tank and hope to try that out tonight. Will disconnect the line at the fuel selector switch and see if the bulb pulls up the gas.
Water separator should be OK since I changed it this past summer.
haliman

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue. Changed out everything - Fuel hoses, water fuel separator, etc. Long story short my fuel pick up was lying in the bottom of my port tank. The molded nut was so corroded on mine I ended up screwing the tank up trying to loosen the thing. Cut the fuel pickup assembly out and there was the fuel pickup on the bottom of the tank. I ended up buying two new tanks. This was about a year ago and wanted to be sure when I took her out in the salt I was not gonna have any issues. So far so good!!!!

Good Luck!!!
OUTRIGGER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got it. By process of elimination it indeed must be the pickup in the tank. I will attempt to get into the tank and see what I can mess up (that's how it usually goes).
Thanks for all your help.
OUTRIGGER

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Fuel not coming from either tank Reply with quote

Can't get fuel to pump from either tank, both of which are half full.
First took off connector at motor, pumped bulb but nothing out of gas line.
Next disconnected at the water separator, pumped but nothing,
Next bypassed the tank selector, took the gas line directly from a tank, pumped but nothing. Did this to both tanks, Purchased new bulb even though the old one was not a year old, still no gas would come.
Checked for mud daubers in the tank vents and they were OK.
Next blew air into the tank, gas bubbled with no problem so the pick up line is in place and screen at the end of the line is clear. Yes I know about the arrow on the bulb and to hold it vertical. All this working the problem back and still can't get any gas to pump.
Went and bought a 6 gal. portable tank and new line & bulb, and it ran great.
Can anyone give me some help please. Something weird for this to occur with both tanks at the same time. Thanks much!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have a bad anti siphon valve. Take it out, and put in a hose barb. At least this will bypass the filter, hose, etc. Just because you can blow air into a pickup, does not mean it is 100% OK. You can have a situation which is like a ball valve, and the air will go one way, and not the other. It will also go by a bad anti siphon valve.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've tried everything else. How about a loose fitting or hose clamp? If you have gas in the tank and it appears that you have a clear line, it could be that you're sucking air through an air leak. Remember you're trying to create a vacuum and if air leaks in, you'll not suck gas.

If you can pull the fuel pickup, take it out of the tank, blow it out, put it in a can of gas and see if you can pump gas up. Or you could try to siphon gas using your fuel line. If that doesn't work you've got a leak.

Two ways to find the leak. First, remove the gas line at the tank and pump the bulb with your finger over the end you removed. If no suction, pump a little air pressure into the line. If there's air coming out where it shouldn't, plug it. Don't use too much air pressure.

I had an old truck which kept dying on me. Finally pulled the fuel tank and removed the outlet valve. A small piece of rubber would plug the outlet every time the fuel pump would suck gas. It would float free otherwise. Just had to tell the story. Drove me nuts and I want to share.

Boris
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel line could be kinked or deteriorated from inside out

I had a defective fuel flow sender that blocked gas

Reddog

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1985
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if this was ever resolved, I have a very similar issue with our '02 Tomcat, twin 90HP Hondas, approx, 230 hrs each.
Went out on maiden voyage, engines started fine and ran pretty well. RH motor would cut out at 4K+ RPM, but could catch it and keep it from dying if I tapped the choke. Seemed to indicate fuel starvation issue.
Stopped and had LH engine idling and was turning the idle up just a bit and it stumbled and died. Did not want to restart.
LH engine had a primer bulb, RH did not. Squeezing bulb had little effect. Found loose hose clamp at RH tank outlet fitting and tightened it. Tightend all hose clamps I could find, none overly loose.
Now neither engine wants to start and wind is picking up. (as a side note, I did operate this boat in WA and it ran fine, but no extended 4K RPM operation was done..., Although I did run it WOT and got 5400 RPM out of her.)
Finally got LH engine to start and limped home with periodic bulb pumping.
SO, go home, checked filters, fittings, etc. All seems fine. Bulb seems wonky, so I put a small electric fuel pump in place of the bulb and got both engines to fire up and run well.
I have 2 OMC bulbs ordered and am hoping that was the issue on the LH motor and the loose connection was the problem on the RH motor.
Seems unlikely to say the least that I had fuel pump failures on both motors...
Also, do most of you have primer bulbs? Did our boats come with them from the factory? Why would there be one on the LH both not one on the RH?
I appears that the RH and LH fuel/engine systems are setup to be stand alone and do not interconnect. So odd that both engines had/are having issues..
Thanks for the input!

"No, I don't fish. Yet...."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it would be very unusual for 90 hp outboards not to have primer bulbs. I replace the bulbs about every 3 years. I had a neighbor who had similar issues, and had gone thru all of the various diagnostic plans. He finally borrowed an electric fuel pump, and found that it was the fuel pump, and that there was a small hole in the diaphragm, when he tore it down.

See if there is any air in the lines (sounds like not?). Possible obstruction in the pickup--blow back thru the fuel lines, and may push any debris off the strainer or screen.

Again, good to have Racor filter/water separator. Do you have a fuel selector valve, or only feed each side from that side's tank? (Stock, the boats did not have a crossover system)

One other factor--what is the altitude you are boating at? Since these are carburetor engines, jets may need to be changed for your altitude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: