The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin 50's or Twin 40's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Twin 50's or Twin 40's? Reply with quote

OK -- we've had such an interesting and informative exchange on the 'Lifetime of a Honda 40' thread, we decided to begin another exchange. We have decided to replace both our dearly departed engine and our "long in the tooth" engine with two new engines. (Our still operating engine is showing signs of compression loss, sorta like El and I are after our years).

So, let's not get into a discussion of twins and single -- that's the stuff of another thread in this pub. Also, let's not get into the discussion of the kind of engine (Honda, Yamaha, etc).

Let's assume Honda. Let's assume twins. Now, let's focus on a single issue. Should we get twin 40s or twin '50s??

Yes, there's a cost differential. We understand both are the same engine, with the 50 having some modifications to get the extra hp. Other than cost, what are the pros and cons? Then, is the cost differential worth it, if the pros line up for the 50's? OK, all you in the pub, give us your advice and opinions.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your long time cruising companion. That goodfella who runs a 75hp Yamaha. AFAIC, there will be precious little difference between the two engines given your boating lifestyle. Yamaha has the same "difference" between the 75 and 90hp models. Same engine, different ratings. Torque is slightly better at the low end with the 75, and horsepower better at the high end with the 90. I would expect the same with Hondas.

I'll match my 75 against Sea Wolf Joe's 90 any day of the week. Hope to some time, actually. Especially now that I've permanently solved a fuel contamination issue that bit me.

Don

P.S. Does this mean that old F250 is gonna get a temporary reprieve?

Laughing
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

I know that I'm one of the new guys on the block with a shiny new boat with a 90 and an 8, so I'm not goin to be presumptious enough to give advice to the most experienced and respected C-Dory cruisers out there!

However, when I was pondering the age-old twins vs single and kicker question, I came across a well-stated argument about 40's vs 50's buried in the archives, which I believe(?) was authored by Les.

It stated that the 40's were more efficient due to their placement on the power curve for cruising speeds, while the 50's were at a disadvantage for the same reason. It might be a good idea to check out the archives.

Best regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course this is a frequently discussed topic. One long thread has Dusty suggesting that the reader ask El and Bill their opinion on the subject. It's the longest thread in the outboard forum. In that same thread Les writes:

Hey all,

Well here goes...since y'all are bantering my name around! So for Work Release and Others...

I've been aboard I don't how many CD22's, I know lots of folks that have them and I've rigged so many I've lost count. I've yet to meet an owner with a 4-stroke on the transom (of any make or model) that didn't just love his/her boat. It's darn near impossible to make a bad choice anywhere in the 75 to 100 hp range in any combination.

There's no reason to go to the Honda BF50's (over the 40's) unless you want them. They don't do much for the boat except add about 3 knots to the top end; a speed that's rarely used on most CD22's. On the other hand, there's no reason not to get the BF50's if they're your desire; there's no particular downside to them other than the extra loot. Put what makes you smile back there...after all it's a pleasure boat!

My personal preference is for the 40's; I like saving the extra money and I feel their performance is more closely matched to the CD22's characteristics. For instance, a very common cruise speed is in the upper teens; that puts the twins just at or under 4,000 rpm. The BF40 develops its peak torque at 3500 rpm; the BF50 at 4500 rpm. If we're at 4000 rpm pushing up the backside of a wave, as the engine rpm drops (from the additional load), on the BF40's the rpm is dropping toward peak torque and away from peak torque on the BF50's. In essence you're a bit on the 'backside' of the power band on the 50's and have to 'catch up'; the BF40's are ready to pull at that rpm.

NOTE: this is subtle stuff; for me it's a matter of optimizing the performance of the boat for the owner and the boat's intended use. So, if the boat's intended use is primarily light loads and higher speeds (maybe it lives on a lake) I'd happily recommend the 50's. It's also about not recommending a more expensive solution just for the heck of it; if you want it go for it. Most folks would never know the difference between running the twin 40's versus the twin 50's until they have lots of hours with each and even then I doubt that the comments would be negative either way. My philosophy is why pay for more then you need...unless you want it; then it makes perfect sense to go with the bigger engines. Nothing's worse than wishing you had made a different choice every time you go out in the boat.

Les continues on other subjects.

I wonder if the 40s don't give you a bit more longevity since they would not have the higher stresses of the extra speed and horsepower. In my short experience with my C-Dory I am quite sure I will very seldom run it at top end. Same as my previous boat. About once a season just to say I did it.

Mark

Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

That's the one I was talking about! Thanks, Mark!

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh...with all those criteria...you kinda took all the fun out of it! But...given those parameters...
There is a well known axiom: There are only so many horsepower hours in any given engine block...and you can take them all out tomorrow...or you can take them out over the next 5 years. The 40 and 50 are the same block...and the 50 is designed to take those horsepower hours out quicker. So if you're looking for longevity...get the 40.
Some other things to think about for this project: Replace the steering cable while you have things apart. And look at upgrading your gauges to the new digital package. Your dealer should be able to give you a nice package deal on the new motors with the new gauge package.
And keep in mind...the old motors are worth money. Somebody out there would love to have that lower unit off the motor with the blown power head.

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Les's comments on this and knowing the way the MFG's play the HP game I would say that the only difference between a 40 and 50 Honda is the Camshaft and Jetting on the carbs. So, what did they do on the cam to change the HP? More than likely they tweaked the duration and lift to give better performance on the higher end of the RPM range (corroberated by Les's post). So, for your typical use I would think that the 40 would be a better overall motor for you.

There is an old adage that says displacement is everything. Well in this case it is the same so now you have to look at where the torque curve is going to be in use the most often and how you use your boat. Since you are cruisers you don't need the high end revs as much.

And I agree with Chris, sell your old motors on EBay! Many people would love to have them for rebuilding or parts. Unless of course you are going to trade them in Smile

Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer would have been the 40s. But then I read lthe post from Les. I'm staying with the 40s. Really for the same reason that I have a 75HP. The added HP of the 40s or the in my case the 90 Honda does not buy you anything for the additional money.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E & B -

If you are tiring of all the logic and sensible advice, we can sure run a quick poll on this question for you.

I am glad to hear you have decided to replace the pair instead of just the wayward twin. There is no way the older one would accept the younger one, and having two girls at 8 and 11 years of age in the house, I can certainly offer expert opinion on the trials of discord.

As for the technical aspect, I defer to Les' wisdom. Unless, of course, Dusty speaks up with different advice, and then Les' youthful gibberish is out the window.

Mike

JeffC

City/Region: Anchorage, AK
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread. This had been a burning question (one of a number) for me in my current planning (wannabe?) mode. I got a good chuckle out of the sibling metaphor.... of course I think those should come in sets of three... it's how we did it.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheerfully admit I have not a clue to the correct answer! I liked our 40s a LOT. I also agree wiith Mike - whatever Les says, unless Dusty says something different, then whatever Les says is out the window!

Actually, knowing your cruising style (and we do, I think), I would bet that top speed is NOT a high priority for you, so the 40s sure seem like the way to go...but whatever floats your boat, just like Les says!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,

The old dusty one just shoots his mouth off - the kid knows what he's talking about. Personally don't see an advantage going with the 50s over the 40s. Run 'em both, and gotta look back and read the decals to tell what's on back. Maybe 2-3 knots on the top end... but with Bill's money I'd spring for the 50s and throw a spare in the cockpit Wink

Sure would like to be cruisin' with my El/Bill friends.

Dusty (the silent one Wink)
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Very Sound Advice Reply with quote

I'd give thumbs up on Les and Dusty's advice anytime. If Honda has good sense in evaluating dealerships, I'd say Les would be on top of the list. Seems like sometimes kids do learn from their elders, eh Duster. Les definitely is probably the most honest, and truly genuine knowledgeable dealer I've met, although I've only had involvement through the mail when he helped convert my tiller BF8 honda to a remote control. My dad and uncle have both been master mechanics for 50+ years, and I'm sure that they both would agree that the Whidbey boys know their stuff, and are HONEST. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Something not in great abundance nowadays.

40's for sure! Ron, aka Digger on Snoopy-C

digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Seems Worth the Trip Reply with quote

By the way.......E & B, you ought to come back to the NW and have EQ Harbour Service set you up Smile
canal charterguy

City/Region: Grapeview
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will throw my non technical two cents in here. I have about 75 hours on my 2005 twin Honda 50's and no complaints so far. With a passenger load of 500 lbs I normally cruise @ 4100- 4500 RPMs in most conditions utilizing the trim tabs. I frequently run @ the 1000 lb. capacity and find I am then running @ 5000 + to maintain low to mid teen SOG. I have spent $1000's of dollars and many hours over the last fourteen years maintaining my deep vee I/O boats and life is now good with my twin Honda outboards. Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: