The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,
I suspect that you are aware, but there are a number of reports of the quadcopters flying off into the sunset, with the camera. Most of these were with model 1. One of the No no's is to try and stream any video from the camera, since the copter uses WiFi frequencies which are the same as the camera. There is a separate 5 GHZ transmitter for the video camera available. It is prudent to put a GPS tracker on the Quad Copter as well as your contact and "reward" on the quadcopter.

I have been considering the quad copters for some time--but this and the issues with crashing and repairing has kept me from buying one yet. Hopefully you will get back with your experience and a recommendation--as well as more of your fantastic photos.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have piles of these from a confluence of doing bird research on boats and airplanes. One must be able to see the birds, and one is never on a stable platform.

The Canon varieties of stabilized binos (and all of the lower priced stabilized lenses) have their lenses in a gel bath. When powered on, the gel is heated slightly, and absorbs a lot of the vibration. It works great when you're on solid ground and trying to stabilize your hand shake. It does not work well from a boat or small plane.

The fujinon stabilized binos are very different. When powered on they start spinning a gyroscope that actively holds the lenses in a stabilized position. The result is an almost stationary image from an erratically moving platform. They work, and I mean they really work. But they are expensive, heavy, and run through batteries much faster than the other stabilization technology. But if you simply must see a sharp image far away from a moving platform, nothing else will do what these do without spending $10k or more.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas 'Brats!! Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to All !

We are at Knights Key (south end of Marathon at the seven mile bridge).

The trip from Ramrod Key was delightful. We were about two hours ahead of a front coming through (it was easy to see the front on the iPad using Garmin's premium weather feature). With frontal passage the north winds kicked-up and have continued to through the afternoon and all night. The forecast calls for continued winds for a few days, so we'll just watch and wait-as-necessary before heading across Florida Bay and the west coast.

Yesterday Tom and Joyce (CD22 Out2C) and Tom and Marlyn (CD25 Traveler) arrived and launched. They each got a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor, so we rafted together for "happy hour" before Dessert 1st returned to Knights Key. A great evening, and a fun Christmas Eve.

Santa even managed to find Dessert 1st in all this wind. Mary got her GoPro 3+ and has been busy reading-up on it. ...a very impressive piece of equipment. (I suspect there is a Phantom II quadcopter in our not too distant future as well. ...we received an email reply from Phantom HQ re avoiding the frequency conflict between the Phanton wifi control system and the GoPro's wifi. Evidently the solution is to use a Phantom 5.8GH transmitter/receiver in lieu of the standard 2.4GH tx/rx. That will permit remote viewing while aloft.)

Santa also advised that the Fujinon Stabilized binocular's were backordered, but were on his(my) list and will be delivered sometime in January. Smile

Life is GREAT!

Best,
Casey&Mary

forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was shopping for a pair of image stabilizer binoculars, the salesman told me that the 5 degree variety binoculars needed to be sent in to the factory and calibrated yearly. I therefore bought a pair of the 1 degree Cannons. I saw there was no mention of having to recalibrate the 5 degree Fujinon in the posts. Has anyone else ran into the recalibration rumor or have had to recalibrate their binocs?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never had a problem with the Fujinon 14 x 40. We do keep them in the Pelican case, and handle with care. None of my friends who have the same binocs have not had them re-calibrated. I would notice if ours were out--and they are not.

We have separate binoculars for guests from West Marine. If guests use the Fuji, it is with one of us right at their side.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nary a problem, nor need to calibrate.

Sounds like a salesman's ruse to sell you what he had (!)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the case this time Joe. I was at Cabelas and both were in stock. I was considering getting the Fugi model but my cheapness was winning out. The 'sending in for yearly calibration' comment plus using more Cabelas points, pushed me towards the Cannon. The Cannons are good but the Fugi would have been much better considering I boat mostly on the ocean under rougher conditions most of the time. Live and learn.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This annual calibration thing is not true. I first got ahold of a pair of these in 2005. They have yet to be calibrated.

They come well protected in a pelican case, and are phenomenally rugged.

Get some UV filters for the lenses, you will worry a lot less, and have an easier time cleaning them up after some salt spray.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Stamp 2014, Nov 30

Bringing this back around for another run. Currently, West Marine has the Fuji 14 x 40 in their Christmas (sorry JOY) Holiday 2014 catalog. These are not cheap even with my bonus points they are close to $1K. From what I have read here, and other places, the Fuji's seem to be the more practical for use on a boat, and better customer service if needed.

Any new news here, following updates etc would be helpful. If you got them, would you do the same again? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found these:

Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image Stabilized Binocular at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/206833-USA/Fujinon_7511440_14x40_TS1440_Techno_Stabi_Image.html

Comments? Good bad or other?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

We had a thread on these before:

Image stabilized binoculars

$1000 is a good price. They usually sell for $1100-$1200 at the discount camera stores. I bought mine used for $625 in the Bay Area, and have never had a problem with them.
(Craig's List find.) Be sure to personally examine a used pair before buying. Repair is not cheap! (They have to be sent back to Japan.)

Joe. Shocked Thumbs Up
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Yes and thanks. I brought the newer thread back. Looking for newer feedback and maybe someone will find a better price than I did. Thanks for your input on the Canon and Fuji. Those were the only 2 I had considered, and Cannon has had some serious flaws in their customer service. Things have changed some since I imported my first AE-1, before we could buy them stateside.

I have been pretty brand loyal for a long time but, education helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

OK, didn't see the first of the two recent posts!

The only thing I will add right now is that these Fujinon 10x40's are best for dedicated boat or other use where their power and stabilization excel and are needed.

If one wanted a multi-use binocular to also use for bird watching and other general purpose use, they would be rather heavy and bulky to carry around a lot.

For that type of use, I keep a pair of 10x30 Canon stabilized in my backpack, as they are about half the weight and size of the Fujinons. (46 oz. vs. 22 oz.)

Did we reference Ken Rockwell's glowing review and comparison for the Fuji and Canon products before?

Fujinon 14x40 Techno-Stabi

And don't forget to review:

A Binoculars Buying Guide: What Do You Need and What Should.....

Sorry if this seems repetitive!

Sounds like you need a recommendation/endorsement to proceed with a purchase (?)

Go ahead, you'll be glad you did!

Merry Christmas!!! Xmas LOL

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://search.defender.com/?expression=fujinon&s=1

Defender has the 14X40's on sale for $985, $25.00 shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10206833&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

B&H Photo has the 14X40's for $1000 with free shipping.

Both are on sale. the regular price is $1090.00 to $1199.00

I ordered from B&H. They should arrive on 12/04/14

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent:

Good purchase!

(And Price!)

Another thing I like about the Fujinons is the fact that they use 4 AA cells, not some exotic or hard to find photo battery!

My Canon 10x30 use just 2 AAs, but the 8x25s use a strange small internally stacked photo cell that is a devil to find, sometimes.

If any of you with these battery powered wonders plan on putting them on the shelf and not using them for 6 months or more,
remove the batteries for safety. No fun to find a leaky battery in your prized optical possession!

Also, I often use the stabilized binoculars when scanning w/o the stabilization on, turning it on when I need to study some detail. Saves battery life, of course.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: