The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars.... Reply with quote

Ok ... I've had some Fujinon 7x50 binoculars for several years that I love.

But yesterday I got the newest advert from ActiveCaptain, and near the end was the Defender Marine ad. Until 12/24 Defender is offering Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized binoculars (retail $2K, usual price $1200) for $975+shipping.

Hmmm....

But my experience with "stabilized" binoculars hasn't really Wow'd me. But I wanted to check-out the Fujinon's. I borrowed a friends truck and drove back to up Marathon to try and find them in stock. I found some in a large marine store (Sale price $1299).

None of the clerks had experimented with them, but after we did some binocular-trials we were ALL saying: W O W !

I found that the stabilizing effect of these binoculars was instantaneous and simply amazing.

As a result, I am seriously considering hammering my piggy-bank and buying a pair.

Do any 'Brats have these(?) or impressions/experience with other brands of stabilizing bino's?

I was simply Amazed at the clarity and stabilizing effect.

Thoughts?

Best,
Casey&Mary

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried the Fujions, but have some Canon 10x30 image stabilized.

After using regular non stabilized binocs for most of our lives, the image stabilization is wonderful. Judy uses them at all times when we cruise.
And I hear that the Fujions are better( and more expensive.) On the other hand, the small size of the Canon we have is easier to handle. So you might consider a smaller Fujion pair.

Go for it. You'll never regret it.

Boris
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, I've heard nothing but good about the Fugi 14 x 40. I have had the Canon 15x50 stabilized for over 10 years & i'm never on the boat or traveling without them. Only thing I don't like is their being heavy compared to most binocs.

Jay

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a pair for 6 years. They are great. They are pricey, all right! (6 years ago I paid only slightly less than today's Defender price.) In less than flat calm conditions they will let you see things clearly that you simply could never discern with conventional binoculars. On a small boat they are pretty big and heavy (mine came with a very nice Pelican case, too), and they will eat up batteries if you have them "on" a lot, but they are well worth it to me. I also think the stabilizing mechanism uses up some light, so they may not be quite as effective as a good pair of conventional binoculars in very low-light, but calm conditions.

They're great for everything from watching wildlife to reading buoy numbers.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several pair of stabilized binoculars:

Fujinon 14x40
Canon 12x36
Canon 10x30
Canon 9x25

Love them all!

They are a bit heavier, of course, and they do use batteries.

But I've learned that you don't always need to push the button and use the stabilization system, at least when just scanning.

Push the button when you find something that you need to discern the details about.

The Fujinon's are top of the heap, in both detail and degree of compensation (eliminate up to 5 degrees of motion by the binocular body). Wonderful for everything from searching for bird flocks over bait balls at great distances over the ocean to astronomy (no holder induced motion bounce to make images undecipherable.)

I was told the military version of the Fujinons are particularly good a differentiating the good guys from the bad guys as you ride along on patrol and have to look ahead for IED's and their button pushers in the Middle East.

The Canons are excellent as well. The larger ones, while being heavier, are more powerful (magnification) and seem to have a greater angular presentation to your eye, though, of course, in reality, you're seeing a smaller true field. They degree of stabilization is limited to one degree, but I've never experienced that as a limitation.

You'll have to try them to believe them. They at least double or triple the apparent image quality and observed detail by stopping the jumpiness, jiggling, and constant, tiring motion of all types.

Ideally suited to boating, you'll find many other applications to justify owning a pair.

Find a shop where you can try them all out in succession, side by side. Go outside, try the real world. Spend your $$$ wisely and usefully!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had the 14 x 40 stabilized Fuji's for about 6 years. I don't find that they use batteries all that fast, but again, as Joe, I only use the stabile function when I need it.

I have some Canon stabilized lenses, which are far more expensive than the binoculars--and feel that the Fuji are better. I also tried the other stabilized binocs and choose the Fuji. I think that the AC/Defender prices is a good buy.

Go for it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, all very good information echoing my own experience, other than the Fuginon 14x40, which wasn't available yet when I bought the Canon 15x50. I did like you said, trying several different power & size variations out before purchasing by going to a store in Mendocino, California, which is on the coast & from the store front had a good view of the ocean. I tried the 10, 12, 15 & 18 x Canon stabilized. Of course the 10x had the largest field of view, felt the best in the hands & the least weight. The 18 was awesome in detail, but the field of view to small. The best overall combination for me turned out to be the 15x. At that time they were $1500 & I still feel their purchase, one of my best ever. Though if I had to replace them now it would most likely be with the Fuginon 14x40.

Jay
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even tried a pair of stabilized binoculars (maybe that's a good thing for the budget though!), but this thread really makes them sound wonderful. I always enjoy it when someone posts about something I don't really know anything about, and then the subsequent posts educate me Thumbs Up

And I have been good Xmas LOL
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, Got them. Love them! Sold the boat, but keeping the Binocs! We got them from some friends that were getting out of boating for $600. Worth twice the price. Go for it.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars.... Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
Until 12/24 Defender is offering Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized binoculars (retail $2K, usual price $1200) for $975+shipping.

Only went to look, mind you Wink , but I was wondering if you have a link or way to find that sale? I looked at Defender's site and they show them ~$1200.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=fujinon

Edit: Okay, I figured it out. It's a special link, here:

http://www.defender.com/activecaptain.jsp

I see the ad says they have sold out, but if you "buy" them now it locks in the price for shipping in January. I also noticed (while surfing around reading reviews, etc.) that B & H photo has them for $999 with free shipping and a $50 gift card (also doesn't ship for 7+ days). Pretty soon they'll be paying us to take them! Mr. Green
BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars.... Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

B & H photo has them for $999 with free shipping and a $50 gift card (also doesn't ship for 7+ days). :

Oh, Oh OH!! Thank you Sunbeam!!

I was just reading that B & H Photo is an authorized dealer for what I want Santa to bring ME: A new Go-Pro and a DJI Phantom 2 to fly it around. And this will work out so well because Casey....oops...I mean SANTA...can use the $50 gift card from his purchase toward them! (Not to mention that he can use his fancy new binos to watch my new Phantom flying all over....and his view of my new toy will be clear and stabilized!) Xmas LOL

If you don't know what a DJI Phantom is, click on the link below. And watch a video or two while you are there. Really, REALLY cool!

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT...

Mary, one of our sailing friends has that Phantom II quad-copter... it is a very impressive toy! His has the camera installed, doesn't use a GoPro.

Hope Santa is good to you both!

Merry Christmas!
Jim

PS After the fiasco dealing with Canon for a repair on the 10x30IS binoculars, I swore I'd never buy anything from Canon again. After 4 Canon digital cameras, I sure like my new Nikon. Cool
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....

I'll have to make a "note to myself" to write Karen and Jeffrey Siegel (they own/run Active Captain) to thank them and Defender for offering the Fujinon stabilized binoculars. We haven't ordered them yet (but may go through BH Photo, we'll see) in stead.

As well as another friend who introduced us to the DJI Phantom II "quadcopter."

This is turning in to a pricey Christmas! Smile

Best,
Santa&Mary
PS: The "freshening" breeze that I mentioned previously is Certainly FRESHENING! We're still at Ramrod Key, and it remains to be seen whether or not we'll get to KW ... maybe 'Manana. (Remember: 'Manana doesn't mean tomorrow ... it just means Not Today!.)
BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
OT...
Mary, one of our sailing friends has that Phantom II quad-copter... it is a very impressive toy! His has the camera installed, doesn't use a GoPro.

Jim, That's the one I really want. It's called the Phantom 2 VISION. $1199 vs. $679 for the one without the camera that you use with your Go-Pro.

The main reason I think the Vision would be better is because I don't already own a Go-Pro and If I did, you can't use the wi-fi feature with the Go-Pro while attached to a Phantom 2.... so from what I understand, you can't SEE the video you are shooting while you are shooting it without buying some other accessories. But with the Phantom 2 VISION you can.

It's a bit more expensive and, of course, I'll still want a Go-Pro for other uses....but hey, Santa will have that $50 gift card, right? Plus, its Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars.... Reply with quote

BoaterHomer wrote:
[
If you don't know what a DJI Phantom is, click on the link below. And watch a video or two while you are there.

Oh sure. Click on another link for something really nifty and fun. I already want the binoculars! (But hey, those are a safety item, and we want to be safe, right?)

Seriously, I am really interested in the binoculars. Just like Google came along conveniently when my lexical recall seemed to fade a bit; now these come to give me "binonic" eyes Very Happy I wish I were in an area where I could get my hands on a pair to try them out - will have to do a bit of looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: