The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD25 Dual Outboard Custom Battery Charging System
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bob on the bulk of it and thanks for chiming in so well on these questions for us all.

I used deep cycles for starting as well on the 25 and they were fine but I would have eventually replaced them with slightly smaller starting batteries. I did not rely on them for any other loads and in fact considered a single battery for the twins because I did not start them at the same time.

Chargers are varied and my solution these days is a DC to DC system but that discussion is for another day.

I agree that the reliance on switches is trouble waiting to happen plus just another chore to keep up with, which is why my current boat has three batteries and no switches. Smart systems are pretty reliable and breakers in the right location can give separation when needed and add safety in general. Add some jumper wire and you can still accomplish most anything in a pinch.

Monitoring is very good whether simple or complex so you can manage your loads/charging with real data. It can be simple voltage monitoring but I would shy away from from the standard analog dash gauge and find something with tenths of a volt increments. If you want to do this, just remember the voltage of the battery at rest is the one worth knowing and don't pay attention to the same battery under load too much.

I moved our two large house batteries to the rear wall of the cabinet under the front passenger seat and that saved about 150lbs on the stern.

Power is fun isn't it,

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Lighthouse Express

City/Region: Auburn, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lighthouse Express
Photos: Lighthouse Express
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all your input...

I will review your thoughts and recommendations and move forward with my upgrades.

Heinz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: