The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/13 - 06/14 - Pender Harbour 2014
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igrant

City/Region: Garden Bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Sprite
Photos: Sea Sprite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: 06/13 - 06/14 - Pender Harbour 2014
From 13 Jun 2014 to 14 Jun 2014 (included)

At the last Vancouver Island gathering in Sydney, I was asked if I would organize a gathering in Pender Harbour.

I am happy to announce that we can host a gathering at Fisherman's Resort and Marina June 13 - 14. This is a great location in the harbour, next door to John Henry's which is a general store, liquor store and has a fuel dock. It is also a short walk to the pub or to Laverne's Grill which does breakfast as well as hamburgers, fish and chips...

Maderia Park is a dingy ride away or you can take The Slo Cat, our local tour boat, to Maderia Park, Irvines Landing and back to Garden Bay.

Garden Bay and Katherine Lakes are within walking distance and for those who want more of a challenge there are lots of hikes in the area.

Pender Harbour, on the Sunshine Coast, not on Pender Island, is a great place to kickoff a cruise to Desolation Sound or Princess Louisa Inlet after the gathering and it will still not be too crowded at that time.

Here is the address for Fisherman's Resort Marina

http://www.fishermansresortmarina.com/

They can also be reached at 604-883-2336

If anyone is interested they have two cabins for rent with a very large shared deck.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending to help with the planning for the Friday and Saturday nights.

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am pretty sure we will put this one on Daydream's calendar - and on to PL and Desolation Sound while we are up there!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news. We have stayed at Fisherman's Resort and it is a pleasant friendly place. The pub is good and there are several other marinas and shopping locations within dinghy (motorized) distance. We hope to be able to make it. The only glitch is a plan to leave for Alaska in early June so we'll have to check schedules. We'll be traveling with other boats and won't have complete flexibility but we'll do our best.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Pender Harbour Gathering 2014 Reply with quote

Great work Ian and Jackie, we are soooo looking forward to this. Where do we sign up?

Martin & Andrea.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Fishermen's is a great spot. We stayed a few days this summer. Good people and clean facilities. We'll likely make it. Just firming up plans for next year. Pender Harbour has a lot of history and one could spend a week getting to know the coves and marinas inside. Thanks.
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pender Harbour Gathering 2014 Reply with quote

Igrant wrote:
...short walk to the pub...

colobear wrote:
The pub is good...

Sold! We're in. Beer Smile

C-Dawg sold November 2018
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this sounds great count us in!
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great indeed. Hopefully we will be able to join in also!

Thanks for jumping in on this Ian and Jackie.

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on C-Renity
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful area, sure hope I can get away for long enough to make it.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those who are headed to this event from the Puget Sound (Salish Sea) region, what is the thinking as to routing? I have been to Princes Louisa, but launched from Sunset Marina, Vancouver BC. Reasoning was, I only had 5 days for the entire trip, so we covered half of it at 60MPH and launched early in the morning, making it possible to reach PLI same day. It was a long day and we were in some pretty big waves for about 3 hours. I would prefer to not go through that again if there is a better way. (YUP, I know, watch the weather closer. Lesson learned.)

I'm interested in hearing some of the alternatives and the rationalization.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colobear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harv,

From my perspective there are basically two ways to get to Pender Harbour. Either one goes up the mainland side from Point Roberts to Vancouver and points north to Welcome Passage or one goes up the Gulf islands to Nanaimo and crosses the Strait of Georgia to Malaspina Strait thence up the East side of Texada Island. We've done both and will choose to do the Nanaimo route in most cases. The trip from Point Roberts to Vancouver can be really ugly as you are in quite shallow water, much less than 100 feet for about 30NM, and cross the mouth of the Fraser river. Then, leaving Vancouver you basically go up the eastern edge of the Strait of Georgia for about 20NM until you come to Welcome Passage and relatively protected waters. We've done it with no trouble and there are some safe havens but the odds of bad weather seem greater to me. You know the Nanaimo side. The major issues for you, coming from Sequim would seem to be the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Haro Strait. Once you are in the Gulf Islands it is relatively protected waters with a myriad of safe havens. From Nanaimo the issues are area Whiskey Golf and the Strait of Georgia weather. Once across the Strait it's just about 10NM to Pender Harbour hugging the Eastern edge of the Malaspina Strait. We will almost certainly go the Nanaimo route.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the response. I would prefer to go up on the boat, and from here it looks to be at least 2 days, and early crossing of Juan de Fuca, and then hopefully a calm evening to cross Strait of Georgia. My guess is that an early crossing there would be most likely to be flatter.

Whisky Golf seems trivial compared to the crossing in less than nice conditions.

Making that on slow cruise would be 2-3 days, and much more enjoyable. (Gotta do something about that w@*k thing.) Looking forward to this trip, and keeping my work fingers crossed.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colobear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harv,

Yes, its a 2 day trip. From Whidbey to Nanaimo is about 6hrs for us, should be maybe an hour longer for you. In Nanaimo we often stay over on Newcastle Island. WG isn't usually active before 0830 or so and the Straits are usually flatter in the early AM. We use the Halibut Bank buoy for current info on the Strait.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: 06/13 - 06/14 - Pender Harbour 2014 Reply with quote

If anyone at the south end of Vancouver Island (or even further afield for that matter) wants to save time on the water and trail their boat. You are welcome to launch at Comox and leave your rig at my house, which is only 5 min walk to the boat ramp. Then you can cross the Strait with me, it is less than 2 hrs, Comox to Pender Harbour. This will give you more time to visit Princess Louisa and Desolation Sound if you are working with time constraints.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Thanks for that option. If the work thing makes it a real time crunch I may very well be interested. Of course, that entails a boat ride (ferry) for my boat Laughing Wink

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: