Lewmar v700g install on 22 cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joechiro35

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: joechiro35
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Lewmar v700g install on 22 cruiser Reply with quote

I just purchased a lewmar V700G windlass with rocker and control. I don't have the confidence to drill holes in fiberglass so I plan on having a boat shop help me with it. Does anyone have any tips as to how the best way to do this. What type of rope and chain and how much of it would fit inside.

Thanks for the help

Joe
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you have bought the VG already...Many of us use the Horizontal windlass, because it seems to work a bit better. I have used the verticals with all chain in large sailboats and it works fine, But with less fall, and a small anchor locker and the motor under the deck taking more room below, lighter chain etc, the "grip" on the rode is a little less with the vertical.

I would use 50 feet of 1/4" High Tensile strength chain--and 1/2" 8 plait rode. You should easily get 200 feet in there. The 8 plait will stow better and should work better with the windlass. Be sure and get windless grade line.

Be sure that the installer knows to undercut all holes he drills, and fills with thickened epoxy to avoid any issues with water intrusion. Unfortunately many shops do not understand the importance of this, and it does take more time.

The install is not difficult. You want to support the wires. Put the breaker near the helm (I put them on the bulkhead on the forward part of the galley, outboard of the helm seat. I run separate wires to the breaker from the battery buss or switch. Your are running a 50 foo total run: You can get away with 8 gauge wire, but I prefer 6 gauge. Be sure to use marine grade tinned wire, and connectors with adhesive heat shrink.

Have fun with the flip switch and anchor up!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: