The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/16 - 05/19 - North Carolina Loop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 16-19 sounds good. Delfin will be ready to cruise. I will have the vacation time and the funds. We need to get this on the cruise thread so maybe we will have many more boats. Maybe we will also miss the sunbirds. (people who take their boats south for the winter.) Very Happy Neal
Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 16 to 19 is still good for us, however I hate to leave Art out of the event. He has been a great supporter for this activity meeting us at the NC Visitor Center providing refreshments and taking some excellent pictures. One thought I did have if we did the loop clockwise we would be at the Visitor Center on Sunday. Besides we are getting wound up fairly tight going the same way each year. This might alleviate some of our tension.

Any thoughts?

I also like the idea of stopping at Lambs Marina. Taxis are available to take us into Elizabeth City.

Dick
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,
I think the idea of going in reverse order would be a neat way to make a change to our routine. In a few days, I'll ask for an event sign up, so we can firm up our intended trip.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't let me affect the dates. If all goes well I will see you all at the NC Visitor's Center, whether via boat or car.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rcbeach wrote:
May 16 to 19 is still good for us, however I hate to leave Art out of the event. He has been a great supporter for this activity meeting us at the NC Visitor Center providing refreshments and taking some excellent pictures. One thought I did have if we did the loop clockwise we would be at the Visitor Center on Sunday. Besides we are getting wound up fairly tight going the same way each year. This might alleviate some of our tension.

Any thoughts?

I also like the idea of stopping at Lambs Marina. Taxis are available to take us into Elizabeth City.

Dick

Have done that loop (2003) but in the Fall, a few months after ISABEL, just after the Dismal Swamp Canal opened up. In May, going clockwise much of the boat traffic will be returning Northward from the south. When we did it in the fall going CCW, the traffic was going the other way and we had the locks to ourselves, it was a piece of cake and we didn't have to raft up with others. Also, the bridges that open for the big guys, will be crowded south of the bridges, and as you go through, you can wave without waiting for them to open. (Neil, don't forget to lower the antennas! Laughing )

We probably cannot go this year but just in case, a clockwise trip this year would be my vote if we could. Have fun!

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
srbaum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Brats,
The event for May's NC loop cruise has been posted thanks to Tyboo's assistance, so please consider opening and signing up for the event.
Per recent discussions, this year, if all agree, we will do the loop in a reverse order. We may also moor at Lamb's Marina vice Pelican in Elizabeth City, as it is protected from wind and seas.
Best regards,
Steve & Joan
schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimmer is signed up and looking forward to doing the Loop in reverse order (not in reverse, right?) Wink

Lambs has not yet responded to my inquiry, so I'll noodge 'em to make sure they can accommodate us.

Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to do this trip. Can someone put together a preliminary itinerary so I can try and make plans. I have a brother in NC and would like to try and tie the 2 trips together. Will there be places to stay at or near the marina stops or are the stops sleep aboard? Thanks
srbaum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,
Here is the tentative game plan:
The cruise will be held 16 - 19 May and this year we will go in a reverse direction then the previous trips. The first night we will tie up at Coinjock Marina, the second night at Elizabeth City (most likely Lamb's Marina), third night at the NC Visitors Center on the Dismal Swamp Canal.
Coinjock has no hotel on site, so plan to stay on your boat. Elizabeth City does have hotels and B&B's near by, but most will stay on their boats. Previously we moored at Pelican, but this year we are trying Lamb's to have better weather protection, as Pelican is open to seas. At the Visitors Center, we will stay aboard our boats...there is no other hotels near by.
Starting points have varied over the years. Some have used Centerville Marina in the past and some have used my yard and dock.
Feel free to ask other questions and do call if you want to chat at 757-477-1453.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: 05/16 - 05/19 - North Carolina Loop Reply with quote

I wondered what was the total mileage on this loop? And about how many miles do you usually run a day doing it?
D.D.

Rcbeach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rcbeach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan & D.D. below are references to some general information on the Carolina Loop. The loop is about 130 statute miles.

1. North Carolina Brochure for Carolina Loop - http://www.discoverelizabethcity.com/pdf/Brochures/EC-CVB-LoopBrochure-lores.pdf

2. Nautical Chart - go to http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletChart/AtlanticCoastBookletCharts.htm and download chart #12206 or obtain Nautical Chart 12206 at your local marine store.

3. Cruising Guide – WATERWAY GUIDE's Atlantic ICW, pages 104 thru 145

Dick
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This timing might work out beautifully for us. We are planning to be in Savannah area in early May and ultimately to travel to the Chesapeake/DC area. We can start out a few days later in order to connect up to you'all.

So, we need to do a little planning. How long does it take to travel from Savannah to where you are starting this cruise? And how long does it take to travel from the end of this cruise to DC area?

We are planning to leave the boat, trailer and car somewhere in Savannah, Charleston... and then come back from it from DC. (Suggestions on where?)

Later, we will be leaving the boat and car in DC and will be back to do some more cruising farther north (doing this in monthly increments off and on). We hope to catch some other cruises that might be scheduled in the East along the way.

Thanks for any help or advice!
schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Lamb's Marina in Elizabeth City to make sure they can accommodate our group. The dockmaster says, "this is the perfect place." Just wants us to call and confirm a week or so before we arrive. We should probably make individual reservations as well.

Is it spring, yet?
Buckeye

City/Region: Robbinsville,NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Buckeye
Photos: Buckeye
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new-be here so please forgive me for asking dumb questions. My wive and I just picked up a 2008 19' C-Dory last wk. end. We live in Western NC and are looking forward to making it to one of the groups get-togethers once we get to know our new boat. We've been sailing for the past 15 years so we have a lot to learn. Also, thanks to the members here I already have a long list of changes and upgrades that I want to do. My first question is the starting point for this trip at Norfolk? I will be trailering, so where is the best place to launch and leave my tow vehicle? Does any of the anchorages have shower facilities? Will some of the stops be on the hook or are they all at slips?

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: