The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

forward facing dinette seat mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: forward facing dinette seat mod Reply with quote

I know a few of you have done this, but I can't remember who. Can you guys post pics or links to your album if you have? i've been talking to EQ about it a bit and the rough pricing sounds reasonable and like a good winter project. I'm not a woodworker myself so am thinking about having this done before next season... It would be nice to have my boat buddy be able to sit forward with me. Cigar
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have seen quite a few in the albums, but... do I remember which ones? NoOOoo. I guess because that's one project that is not on my list, at least for now. I do have one link, because I remembered this one, done by Anna Leigh:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album56&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I was thinking "Too bad we can't search the photo albums," but then if we could I would probably never get away from the computer (or I would have to add another 75 cool mods to my to-do list Very Happy).

Speaking of search: If you have not already done so, you might find some posts/threads by searching "Barber chair," and those might lead to names you could find in the albums. Tyboo (whose last name must be Barber) is the one who first designed and built the reversing seat, hence the name. Then, I think Les from EQ got requests for them and suggested it to the builders, but they weren't then interested. So EQ did some for their customers who wanted them when they were rigging the boats. Then of course the builder started putting them in as options, and now I think they are standard.

Edited to add: Oh, I remembered another one, on Grace:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1399&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to TyBoo's initial work:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Cabin%2CInterior&id=Floor_Support_TyBoo_Convertible_Seat&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Click on the forward arrow--I think there are about 11 pictures. Many great ideas in this boat!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I did the conversion:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Reverse-Seating&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the links guys! I forgot about the Barber Chair term!

here's the first one I saw in person too:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1080&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Sunbeam,
we got out a lot this year and had a number of cruises in the 100mile range. after an hour or so of cruising you start to wonder why nobody wants to sit by you at the helm (do I smell?? Mr. Green ) and then you realize nobody wants to sit with their back to the bow. For me, having that forward facing dinette seat is a plus in the social aspect, but I think it would also be more convenient for my wife and I both as she typically co-pilots and having her right next to me seeing the same stuff as we're cruising along could help with navigational stuff. Dodging logs, watching electronics, etc.

I took at least 6 other guests out with me this year (just them and I) that I can think of, and each of them took to the rear seat when under way.... human nature to want to face forward I guess. And even though I'm not so crafty with wood myself (and I'm timid to cut my boat), the prices I'm hearing for this mod are less than taking my wife on a good guided fishing trip, so it seems worth it Smile
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I could totally see how it would be worth it to do the Barber Chair mod. No question that it could be a great addition for some (most?) folks.

So far I like the simplicity/stowage on mine as-is, but that could change. And I've only had one friend aboard so far. He either sat facing forward with the big table ahead of him (looking at maps (heh, it was Powell), using tablet, reading, or whatever); or sat "side saddle" in the forward seat.

If I change my mind, I could see either doing the Barber chair mod, or perhaps instead opening up the port side of the V-berth bulkhead and then making the seat back reversible (so one would sit in the same place, but facing forward with one's feet on the edge of the V-berth flat). The Marinaut is a bit like that (albeit with a footwell), and it was nice to have the V-berth cushion right there for things like camera, guide books, etc.

I clearly need to spend some more time "testing," don't I? Very Happy
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

I clearly need to spend some more time "testing," don't I? Very Happy

we all do Smile
when I first bought this boat I immediately wanted to make it "mine" with some customizing, but the boat fit the bill so well that I couldn't think of anything, so I essentially just used it as is all season. Almost 30 days on the water and all I could come up with this winter is the forward facing seat, and shorepower (for those fridays that I hope to telecommute from a marina, hehe).

Your point about browsing the maps on the dinette bring up a good idea too though, perhaps in addition to the forward facing seat a nice ram mount setup for tablets or a clipboard type function would be nice for the co-pilot.
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really enjoy our forward facing seat mod. I kept it simple, well worth the effort. Here are links to pictures and a video. Good luck with the project.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1399&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuwnPZJMj6Y

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to find two more while browsing Smile

Levity:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album63&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

CC Flyer:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Reverse-Seating&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any issues with the split table? such as rigidity when upright, etc? That's the only thing I could see maybe being a nuisance when going back to dinette position.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckDogTitus wrote:
are there any issues with the split table? such as rigidity when upright, etc? That's the only thing I could see maybe being a nuisance when going back to dinette position.

No problem with ours....In fact now that you mention it, I don't ever remember thinking about the fact that it is split when it is in the dinette position. We keep a thin non slip pad on the table which makes the split invisible. (We don't keep the pad there to hide it, but to keep items resting on the table secure while cruising).
(Our modification was one of the first mods done by Les at EQ Marine.)

C-Brat #16
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good feedback, thanks Dave. Ive been talking to Kathy at EQ for a few days about it, pretty sure we will have it done. pretty affordable mod and pretty nice too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: