View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reversing seat in 22 Reply with quote

Is there a standard way to fit the seat back cushion when sliding back the settee seat so that it is forward facing?

I feel like I must be missing something really obvious - or the builder did. When I slide the seat back, there is room for the cushion in front of the table but nothing to hold it up there.

Thanks
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a detail shot from another 2007 C-Dory (I think attachments have varied over the years). If this was the style of yours, I would think you would have this wooden "slot" piece on the seat box. Then it would be a matter of .... do you have the fiberglass molded "shape" that fits into it to support the back cushion? Maybe it's something you were wondering about the function of?!

(Or maybe yours works differently altogether).

This is from a 2007 named "Skeeter" that was for sale at one point in time.

tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that wooden bar with slots but not the fiberglass insert.

I suppose I could fashion a wood replacement - if I had even the barest minimum of carpentry skills, which if course I don't.

Does anyone know of a source for these or similar seatbacks?
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reversing seat in 22 Reply with quote

On my boat, the forward part of the table is hinged. It drops down and forms the back rest. The back cushion is then put in place and secured by little straps and male poppers which connect to the female popper under the table.

Hope I described it ok. Sorry no pics.

Martin.
tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My table has a hinge there as well but the hinged part just seems to swing loosely. Maybe I need to take a closer look. I do have snaps on the cushion
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the reversing seat at all, but I have seen the "non-fiberglass-thing" type in photos, and I would think it would be preferable. Then no need to carry "the thing" along when the seat is in table position.

So on the ones that just snap to the lowered table section... is there additional plywood stiffening inside the seat cushion? Or is it just the regular seat cushion completely supported by the part of the table that is flopped down?

Sounds like it is a matter of securing the flopped-down-table-piece so it is rigid, and then webbing/snaps to attach the cushion to the table when facing forward? (Or does it somehow use the snapped fabric flap that is already there to attach it to the bulkhead when facing aft?)

So far I'm fine with my boat without the converting seat, but... you never know.
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reversing seat in 22 Reply with quote

Under my table attached to the column is a built in back stop. So when the hinged part of the table is lowered it rest against the back stop.

My seat cushion is reinforced (probably plywood) because it is the top to my storage locker below.

Martin.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing seat in 22 Reply with quote

bridma wrote:

My seat cushion is reinforced (probably plywood) because it is the top to my storage locker below.

Oops, I meant to be asking about the seat back cushion. The seat back cushions on my boat are "just" foam and fabric, and they snap to the bulkheads to hold them in place. I was just wondering if the seat back cushion that ends up forming the back to the forward facing seat is reinforced in any way, or if it is just foam and fabric still. (Maybe it does not need anything additional.)
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing seat in 22 Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
bridma wrote:

Oops, I meant to be asking about the seat back cushion. The seat back cushions on my boat are "just" foam and fabric, and they snap to the bulkheads to hold them in place. I was just wondering if the seat back cushion that ends up forming the back to the forward facing seat is reinforced in any way, or if it is just foam and fabric still. (Maybe it does not need anything additional.)

I'm pretty sure that the seat back cushion is just foam and fabric because the dropped down table section is the rigid part.

Martin.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - sounds like a good setup, and no fiberglass "thing" to have to stow when the dinette is made up.

I think I have seen where something like a barrel bolt is used to support that hanging table flap on the boats that do not have a central table pedestal, so they are then probably also capable of using just the regular, foam-and-fabric back cushion.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22 the table leaf folds down, slide the seat box back, take the back cushion off the bulkhead and swap it to the drop leaf on the table. There should be a couple of straps with snaps on the cushion to snap onto the table leaf. I've usually put a pillow there for more comfort.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the dinette is set up, the "fiberglass thingy" moves along with the cushion around to support the seat back in the backward seating position. In other words, it is always stowed as it is used either forward facing or rear facing.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
When the dinette is set up, the "fiberglass thingy" moves along with the cushion around to support the seat back in the backward seating position.

I never would have thought of that. Thanks for mentioning it! So now I'm curious: Does the seat cushion lift for accessing the locker beneath it? And if so can that happen with the "thingy" in place? I see there is a door in the side, so that's probably what you usually use to get into the locker, but I'm just curious now if the seat cushion also lifts.

It's interesting to me how the molded interior evolved. I started to notice it when I was looking at 22's for sale before I bought mine. It was like seeing it change before my eyes as I saw different boats; I even had one of the rare (I believe) "original" molded interior ones come up for sale while I was looking (which is now Colby's "Midnight Flyer" - he snapped it up before I even had a chance though Very Happy Very Happy)
tparrent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the methods of reversing the seat are endless! While looking through my boat for something else, I came upon this "cutting board" contraption and it all came back to me.

On my boat, you insert the "cutting board" in a slot in the folded leaf of the table and then into the wood frame on the back of the seat.

The trick then is securing the cushion - and I just couldn't figure out how to do it until some foggy neuron lit up and I remembered finding an ADDITIONAL cushion on the boat. Sure enough, I found the extra seatback cushion in the v berth and it has straps with snaps to fit around the leaf and secure the cushion.

The cutting board takes up almost no storage space (I had it behind the water tank) and, in a pinch, could be used to slice vegetables!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following this thread a bit. I have a 2007 and it uses the plastic insert for the reversible seat. Seems to me the hinged table would work better. The plastic does not provide much support and I imagine would break fairly easy if one were to lean back much. I have reversed the seat twice, but tend to leave it in the forward position. The table somewhat supports it from bending backwards, but when in the facing rearward position, there is nothing behind it helping to brace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: