New Garmin lineup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you get a 78SC it will have charts loaded natively plus you can add a card for land maps as the same time. If you use the cheaper 78 no maps included model that I do, you would need to swap the card to go from one map type to the other. It is a simple swap in the battery compartment and doesn't take any special tools. The screen size is fine for land and sea.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg. You've almost got me sold on the 78SC. But now I'm also looking at the 64ST, the main reason being that I already have an unlocked BlueCharts micro SD card which could presumably be used in the 64ST and which comes programmed with the Topo maps that I'd want for hiking. With the 78SC I'd still have to buy some add-on topo maps....

BUT, the main downside I see with the 64 for marine use is that it does not float. But it's interesting that they both have the same water resistance rating, the lowest rating (on the Garmin scale), so I'm wondering even if you do dunk the 78 is it going to survive? I guess since it floats at least you have a chance of finding out, and if nothing else you could still retrieve the SD card, which would otherwise be at the bottom of the sea with the unit itself in the 64.

Hmmm. I think I'm still leaning towards the 78SC. In that case I could buy the more detailed 24K topo maps and justify the extra cost since the 64 comes with the 100k topo maps!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to watch is that Garmin bought DeLorme. Not sure exactly why, and if there are gong to be some hybrids. But I suspect that what is coming down the pike will involve the "inReach" type of feature, interfaced with Garmin....

A unit with a larger screen, but not as large as the 276 is the "Montana" series, which have 4" screen size, but a small case & touch screen. If you have a microchip with Blue charts, should be able to use it on these--the last year's model is often considerably cheaper than the latest...

A comparison of the 78 and Montana is here.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I hear you on the 64t comparison. That unit is similar to the 78 in many ways but different largely in exterior design.

The 78 series floats, includes both tide and current data, has a waterproof 12v power connection on the back (which I use to keep the screen backlit and save batteries), and the keys are also backlit which I like for both motorcycle and boat use.

I am pretty sure that no other handheld series includes these features and that is why I use these units exclusively for hiking, kayaking, boating, and motorcycling.

Buttons, The outdoors mean glove use for me and that means buttons. The touch screen need to be larger to make them practical but they are not like the screens on smartphones and gloves are still a problem.

As far as waterproofness goes. I have used 76 and 78 models on the deck of my kayak in salt water for over 12 years and they do float and that feature has saved my GPS twice and was worth having. I normally travel with it running all day on my spray skirt and it gets wet and stays wet including taking regular waves over the unit in rougher water. So long as you keep sand out of the seals, They do not leak and I have even accidentally dragged it in the water on the end of the tether for a few minutes at a time with no issues. These units do not need protection from water and short duration submersion is no problem.

Also, if you want topo maps for hiking, the 100k scale maps included with the 64 will not be very useful and are really intended for backroad driving or offroading/hunting use. You will want the 24k maps and I would recommend the Topo 24k west map card which also includes road routing and point of interest data,

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot,

The 78 and 64 also have a really nice Anchor Drag Alarm that is easy to set, easy to hear during the night (wakes us up mounted at the helm), and uses little power at anchor. We have used it every anchoring night for the last 7 years. It caught one real drag and saved Aurelia from a grounding back in 2010. We have also had some false alerts when I have set the distance a little too low.

Greg
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Greg, all very useful real world info that is almost impossible to get from a spec sheet on a website. Never even thought of the anchor alarm, that is definitely something I'd use as well, to save the house batt. I'm gonna go with the 78SC and get the 24K topo maps for hiking. Might still wait a couple more months since we are getting into the off season now and there might also be the chance of some deals or promotionals between now and the new year.

-Mike
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 78SC and, though I could probably/should have some lessons in using it to more of it's capacity, I use it primarily for keeping a log record on the boat and it goes with the ditch bag. It has the G2 map card, and does float and is water proof as Greg says. It has good power duration on the batteries, (2 AA's) and has a power cored that plugs into a 12VDC Cig plug, which is how I power it on the boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really want the added functions of the SC model with Barometer and compass (very limited usefulness in my opinion), save a map card worth of bucks and get the white 78 unit. That's the one I use. Contrary to logic, West marine often has the best sale prices on Garmin gear. Watch the adds and pounce.

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know many C-brats are also RV owners. Here is a new model of GPS navigator with loads of nice features including tracking.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/automotive/new-rv-770-lmt-s-camping-enthusiasts/

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: