View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: New Garmin lineup Reply with quote

Panbo http://www.panbo.com Today came out with an article about Garmin's new Fish Finders and xHD radar. Fishfinders was one place where Garmin lagged behind Furuno and Navionics (Lowrance, Simrad) products recently. Garmin now had downscan and side scan (still no good forward scan), also expanding the CHIRP technology to downscan. There are new I pad/phone apps (probably android shortly), and communication with WiFi.

So if you are outfitting a new boat--this is one of the those products to be on the outlook for. Hummingbird sort of started this ball rolling several years back. Lowrance has these technologies for a couple of years. More recently RayMarine came up with the Dragonfly technology--and now Garmin. Certainly these are gong to benefit divers and fisherman the most. But I can see that many of these technologies will soon become common in many boats....
http://sites.garmin.com/marine2014/coastal/?lang=en&country=us

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Garmin working on their fish finder technology it really is their weak area. Maybe someday I will be able to afford the Chirp technology.

hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Glad to see Garmin working on their fish finder technology it really is their weak area. Maybe someday I will be able to afford the Chirp technology.

Couldn't agree more. I think it was a case of poop or get off the pot with Garmin. When you look at all the neat stuff other vendors have put together Garmin was way behind. I too will be looking at upgrade in the next year or so.

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simrad just announced a new line also.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone try these? I've been planning new electronics as part of a master plan to make my boat perfect. These have sent me back to the drawing board. In fact, the new tech that is available to rec boaters is pretty incredible these days.

My existing sonar is an Apelco 240. It is terrible. It's never marked a fish, and only reads depth to 240'.

I fish for halibut and troll for salmon (or whatever else is there). I also set longlines (halibut), gillnet (salmon), set shrimp and crab pots, etc.

I usually fish 50'-400', generally in the 100-200' range for halibut. For salmon, we fish structure, or chase schools of herring around (sometimes not around structure), which means you have to be able to detect the herring.

I have a Garmin GPS I like, I have used mostly garmin gear to date, but was planning on switching to a different brand for a fishfinder/sonar until these new units came up.

I'm likely to add autopilot (current GPS can't drive it though) in the near future, the only sort of x-factor. That would mean that I could get a combo unit now, or a standalone sonar now, and replace the gps later.

Any real world experience with the newest of the new Garmin would be appreciated!!!

PS-This is my first post! I've owned my boat a year and a half, and have so far have all of my curiosities satisfied with a search of this site! Thanks for all the help so far!
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

I would look at the Garmin 741XS if you want up to date CHIRP Sonar. Garmin also has a good Auto pilot and Radar.

The Gold Standard fishfnder is Furuno--but they have been a bit behind the times with the multip function unit. This has changed with a similar unit to the Garmin at about the same price: 7" GP 1870 and 5" GP 1670 A stand along Fish finder is FCV 627.

Then there is RayMarine 'Dragon Fly"--a fish finder add on.

Finally Navico--Simrad or Lowrance. Cheaper line with the Elite--still good, Lowrance Elite 7x HDI--down scan and broad band.

I would be cautious with the side scan in salt water--going to be mostly limited to 150 maybe 200 feet.

Support is excellent with Garmin. Furuno also good technical support. RayMarine has a past history of issues, but now that FLIR has purchased them, the service is much better.

Navico has great products (Simrad, Lowrance)--and also maybe the best auto pilot. But service has been lagging--and some soft wear problems. I had Lowrance a few years ago. Currently I have only Garmin--the 740S is all that I need, with the AirMar transducer P66. But if your really want the best pictures go with the Garmin740 xs.

Best to go to a boat show or dealer and play with them, to see what you like the best.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I jumped into Garmin's new line with both feet. I've used several of their handheld GPS units over the years and have never regretted the purchase; hence, no testing the water for their new xHD radar (available soon I'm told) as well as other all Garmin 'essentials'. More later. Maybe much later as we're just beginning our deep winter here in NW MI.

Despite being told I could expect an early Spring delivery, the new 26 Venture is going to be completed this month* at C-Dory in WA, freighted to MI next month and then rigged by the downstate dealer. Only a couple factory photos I have not posted since they show only cabinet cutouts, lots of blue tape and the transom; i.e., boring, but better than red tape. So, stay tuned.

*My understanding for the pushed up construction schedule at C-Dory is that they were 'swamped' with late 2013 orders and so are cranking them out before converting to some new fuel system requirements for the new 2014 models which will require an increase in pricing.

Aye.

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on those new Garmin units, or are they going on the new boat?

My job has me running several boats, and I was lucky to get my hands on a brand new boat spec'd with Garmin top to bottom, and the other coming out of the factory with a refurb/refit including a very nice Furuno setup, top to bottom with autopilot.

So I can a/b the two set ups easily enough. BUT, the brand new Garmin sonar is not part of our new Garmin rig, so the sonar is what it was.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy,

The xHD radar is available on the open scanners such as the 6 foot 6 and 12 KW. Jeff Siegel has the 6' 12 KW and compares it with the non x, HD. He says it is considerably better than the plane HD. As I understand it, the x HD is going to be offered in the 24" and 18" this next year. These are just software differences I am told. It should be good. You will enjoy the Garmin.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due soon is the Garmin GMR 24xHD radar closed dome for the 26 Venture.

Aye.
Gratitude

City/Region: Costa Mesa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C Pelican
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Garmin vs Navionics Chart Plotter Reply with quote

This thread is very timely for us. We anticipate the acquisition of a C-Dory Cruiser this season, and are considering what would be to best setup if we start with a plank canvas. My primary use will be fishing in the S. CA Channel Islands. At a recent West Marine Grand Opening, I spent considerable time with the Simrad Rep. For the plotter portion of the equation the chip that he put in - Gold or Fishing was amazing. As I recall, it could be adjusted to 1' vertical contour distance. I found structure that I have not seen on any of my current Garmin Plotters.

All of this said, what would be the recommendation of the group for the best integrated unit that has the best chart plotter (highest priority), fish finder with Chirp or equivalent Side and Down Scan, Radar, and auto pilot. Lastly with the relatively flat bottom on the C-Dory what transducer would you use, and where would you place it on a boat that will be trailerable?

Thank you for your time.
Gratitude (Jim)

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just announced model from Garmin

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod539722.html

Seems like a throwback to me with the only standout feature being the ability to run on its one power.

The little 78 units I use run all the same maps and cost a whole lot less.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to my 176, which I had to dig out of the "junk" electronics section of my clutter...The 176 only has a 4" screen--and the 276 has a lot of updated features--maybe for the small boat--and off roader? There are bigger and better Garmin chart plotters etc.

I was able to get a new Garmin DV94, 9" display, all coastal charts, Chirp, Down and side view for slightly less than this 276 costs...I suspect a wrong price on the unit--but it was sold to me at West Marine--and works great...
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Moto world is quite interested and the weather connection would be nice. But I am not ready for something that large mounted on the bars.

Greg
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Greg. After the other recent thread on handheld GPS recommendations I've sort of been looking at the 78 unit you recommended but felt the screen seems tiny by today's standards, and so I've been trying to hold off thinking there might be something entirely new on the horizon. But this new model seems WAY too big (and expensive!) for a handheld, for what I want to use it for...

Lately I've been doing more hiking on my boating trips (and some off-trail wild mushroom hunting when not boating) so really want something that's good for hiking/topo maps as well as the BlueChart maps...can the 78 have both loaded up at the same time, or do you need to swap cards going from marine to hiking?

-Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: