HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallis stove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ grattan

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tiny Dancer (afka Thataway)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Wallis stove Reply with quote

I just spent my first 10 days on our Tomcat with a Wallis stove, and had some challenges. We would turn on the stove, on high, and it would heat for awhile and then the red light would begin to flash and then shut down, We would wait about 10 minutes as the manual said, and then try again. This time it would stay on longer, enough to finish the coffee or do a little cooking. Again the light would flash and eventually turn off. and we would wait again before flipping off the on/off switch. We tried lowering the heat after it began to heat once or twice but it did not make a difference. We are using Kleen Heat as a fuel. This stove had previously not been used a lot. Does it need cleaning, or is there something else I can do? Thanks.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wallas stove was used a moderate amount when I owned the boat. The only problem was when I first got the boat, the fuel line to the stove connection was loose. After tightening that, it ran fine. It sounds as if you are not getting a good flow of fuel. introduce a small bubble of air into the fuel line, and see how fast it moves up the line. Also check all of the fittings on the fuel line...again, I think that the fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel. It is a fairly simple pump, so look for some loose fitting to start with.

It was used mostly with purified diesel--#1 diesel. Again, I cannot speak for Charlie when he owned the boat. But I doubt that it needs cleaning.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran less than a tankful of Kleenheat from Home Depot thru it and it started and ran fine each time I used it (which wasn't many times).

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give scanmarineusa.com a call. They are the US distributer for Wallas products. They were extremely helpful when I called them with questions last winter in regard to relocating my stove, told me the things to check after moving it to be sure it would function correctly when I turned it on the first time. Their number is 1-888-606-6665.

ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% w/ MGARR682, call SCAN Marine directly.

After years of smooth operation w/ our Wallas we had problems last year on our way to the 2013 Friday Harbor Gathering (the 1st of the year in the PNW). I wound up calling SCAN after a few C-Brats at the Gathering had looked at the Wallas and not been able to determine the issue.

The folks at SCAN accurately diagnosed my problem and walked me thru removing the failing part (the temperature adjustment switch) in spite of my total lack of mechanical skills.

SCAN then quickly sent me the replacement part after I gave them the pertinent info (name, address, credit card #, etc.).

I found their service to be extremely professional, and their techs diagnosis capabilities to be spot on. Don't hesitate to contact them yourself and I hope you have the same pleasant experience I enjoyed w/ them.

Good luck!

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on C-Renity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: