View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Barry said, it's a horizontal one. From what I understand, the determining factor is which way the "axle" of the gipsy (gipsy being the "wheel" that the rode wraps around as it comes in) runs. If that axle is horizontal (like yours), then it's a horizontal windlass; if it's vertical, then ... vertical.

As shown in the link, a vertical windlass can have the motor lying either vertically or horizontally (below decks). I have not had one of those (vertical), but if I understood Tom correctly, the ones with the motor lying horizontally are more robust than the ones with the motor lying vertically.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Thanks.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Good. Thanks.

The terms have always been confusing to me too Marty. Seems to me the higher standing windlasses like you have seem more "vertical" (up and down) to me, yet they're considered "horizontal" windlasses. Hmmm... Rolling Eyes

Peter
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been the owner of both a V600 and a V700 windlass, I have a few comments on the design. First, the seal at the top of the shaft, where the capstan fits on has to keep out sand, mud, water, you name it. By the way, this is true for any vertical windlass. Second, Lewmar claims that the new V700 seal solves that problem though it's too late for a V600.

It turns out that that seal on the V600 was bad and let everything in. So Lewmar did 2 things. They started manufacturing their windlasses in Thailand and (somewhat) redesigned the windlass. They claim that the new seal is better. I do point out that the capstans are interchangeable, so I'm not sure what the redesign is. However the V700 has worked, though only for a year or so.

I'd appreciate if anyone else who has a V700 would comment on their experience, good bad or indifferent. I also added a washdown pump to try and reduce the crud on the line going through the winch. Also, I notice that Defender is selling motor and gear assemblies for the V700, so you can rebuild it, if you want

Here's the sand I pulled out of the V600 when I took it apart. Unfortunately, by then I'd replaced it with the V700. Live and learn. Notice the crud came down through the gearbox into the motor; got everything on the way down.

Boris
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

I'd appreciate if anyone else who has a V700 would comment on their experience, good bad or indifferent.
Boris

I've had a V700 for almost 7 years. No problems. (Well, I did have to replace a bent control arm pivot screw and a worn out torsion spring.) No evidence of water, salt, sand or mud intrusion so far. Knock on wood.

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have been following the threads with interest and plan to add a windlass to Lochsa. Based on input so far, I have it narrowed to the H700 or H1000. I am still a bit reluctant because there are many negative reviews critical mostly of water intrusion and corrosion due to poor sealing surfaces. Can anyone push me over the edge with current experience. Thanks.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on where you boat and how often you anchor. If you boat from marina to marina with only an occasional anchoring in water 20' deep or less then maybe the investment is not especially needed. I think it also depends on your age and health. If you are young with a strong back and in moderately good health, (A floating definition if there ever was one.) then maybe, again, the investment is not needed. And, it also depends on the amount of singlehanding you do, if you usually have someone else on board who can handle the boat while you are on the bow or who could bring the boat around to you if you had the misfortune to go OFF the bow, then the investment might not .....and so on. Our V700 has been a substantial improvement over my going out on the bow to anchor or, more importantly, to retrieve. Is it perfect? No certainly not. Am I (and my wife) glad we have it? You bet.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally settled on the Lewmar Pro Fish 700 from this outfit.

http://www.windlass-anchor.com/lewmar-profish-700-free-fall-windlass.html
kennharriet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to begin the install of the Lewmar H700. Does anyone have advice or photos for positioning the windlass? It looks to me that either the existing cleat or anchor chaining locking device will need to be relocated or removed. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance, ken
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been collecting info because I'm probably going to install one of these in the near future. From what I could see, just about everyone had it in the same place, fore-and-aft, and they all kept the original bow cleat (although it was close). I presume it's positioned as far aft as possible -- for maximum "drop" of the rode yet still ahead of the anchor locker bulkhead.

George Hone's Kerri-on album has a good sub-album showing the installation and positioning (as do others, but his comes to mind).

Link to the sub-album:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1636&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

A couple of photos from the sub-album:

Edited to add: You know, now that I look at it, I think Kerri-on's 700H might be positioned a bit further forward than some other ones, so that shows there is some leeway forward/aft. Now of course I have to look Very Happy

Okay, here is Voyager's for comparison. I believe it is a bit further aft. These both look like top-notch installations to me.

Link to the Voyager sub-album that includes the windlass installation (and more photos):

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Upgrades&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to think about are a backing plate--aluminum 1/4 or 3/8" is probably best. The hole in the deck and back up plate made with hole saw.

I suggest that all of the holes be routed out, undercut and filled with epoxy.

Also I tend to grind down the non skid to give a better surface for the gasket material.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kennharriet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam! Very helpful.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Sunbeam. I kept the windlass ahead a bit to give good access to the cleat. I just run the rode over the windlass to the cleat, with slack to the gypsy. I undercut and epoxy filled all holes as Bob suggests and used a big sheet of UHD plastic 3/8 thick under the whole foredeck area to distribute loads. I used big fender washers instead of the supplied teeny ones. Grinding off the non skid is a good idea. Thought about it and couldn't bring myself to do it. Tough enough to bore these holes. I love this windlass! We retrieve several times a day sometimes. Saves the arms and back. George.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed our new Lewmar H700 using George's photos & write up including the UHD plastic for backing & found it all extremely helpful.

The Windless is the one thing I really never thought I would install, but when finally making the go a head decision, went all the way & included a wireless remote. I used it last year in Yellowstone Lake & lake Powell & now consider it money & time well spent. I'm really looking forward to our next Southeast Alaska Cruise where I have no doubt the new set up will make the many anchor deploys a much more safe & enjoyable experience.

Jay

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
... went all the way & included a wireless remote.

Seeing that remote in action at Lake Powell added a few hundred dollars to my windlass project Cry

Seriously though: Super slick and useful. I'm definitely going to include that when I add the windlass Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: