The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut 215 Design
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

Thanks for your insights. It looks like it leads us to George's conclusions

Rich

C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been four years, and people continue to be fascinated by our boat when we visit marinas. There are basically two people who make comments: 1) the bigger is better crowd, and 2) those people who really understand boats. As to the former, it seems the most prevalent comment is, "what a cute, little boat!" These people are surprised when we either show or explain to them how much space is available in the Marinaut. As to the latter, they appreciate the rugged design, sharp deadrise in the bow, and realize that it is a very seaworthy and well-equipped boat. I have said this before and it bears restating: bigger is not better -- only bigger, as was stated in The Small Boat Journal. Having a smaller boat that is easy to handle by one person, and which is easily trailerable is a tremendous advantage. Not having cabin space restricted by the high degree of deadrise in a deep-V boat, the Marinaut's very low dead rise hull allows for a very large interior space comparable to boats of much larger size. There are nooks, cranny's, draws, shelves and cabinets everywhere to store our stuff that makes cruising so pleasant. The nice thing about the Marinaut's interior, as it is for C-Dory's, is the ample windows affording a view to the outside, as opposed to sitting in the hull of a large, deep-V production boat with tiny windows and poor circulation.

I don't know what it is about the Northeast, but pilothouse cruiser boats are not popular here, with the exception of the Parker's, which are fine fishing boats, but can't hold a candle to the Marinaut and C-Dory's in cruising comfort and accommodations. We do see a lot of trawlers in the Notheast -- many Ranger and Nordic Tugs with an occasional Rosoborough, which are wonderful alternatives, but at a significantly higher price. Ironically, our boat, due to its color scheme, is occasionally mistakenly categorized as a Ranger Tug by those not familiar with its design.

It has been four seasons now we have owned our boat, and we continue to feel that the design and performance of this boat is well suited for our needs, and we don't see anything that will change our mind save for a sudden turn of our health that would preclude us from enjoying boating.

Rich
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your comments about the utility of your Marinaut are the same reasons that we bought our CD22. Athough from a distance it does look small and "cute", most people who come aboard have been surprised by the usable interior room and amount of furnishings.

It is nice to sit in the cabin and be able to see all around through the relatively large windows as opposed to being in a cave with slits like most common cruisers.

However, it would be nice if the CD22 had a bit more headroom in the berth area.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Most of your comments about the utility of your Marinaut are the same reasons that we bought our CD22. Athough from a distance it does look small and "cute", most people who come aboard have been surprised by the usable interior room and amount of furnishings.

It is nice to sit in the cabin and be able to see all around through the relatively large windows as opposed to being in a cave with slits like most common cruisers.

However, it would be nice if the CD22 had a bit more headroom in the berth area.

The C-Dory 22 is a beautiful boat as well, and you have good reason to be proud of her. I agree with you that both boats have a great deal in common with respect to interior design, function and exterior beauty. With respect to the berth, my wife and I are rather large people, and we would be uncomfortable in a standard CD berth. Ironically, we used to enjoy resting in our open CD 16 berth in a head towards the bow position. The Marinaut was perfect for us. We both sleep with our heads toward the bow in comfort. Initially, we used both dinette cushions to extend the berth, but now we only use the back cushion and place it to the extreme port side, allowing easier access into the berth from the middle. Some C-Brats have knocked out their bulkheads in their CD 22's. If the Marinaut was not available, we would have gotten a CD 22, and knocked out the bulkhead. My suggestion is to contact those C-Brats who have made this change in their CD 22's to see if it is feasible for you. It is amazing how much bigger the berth feels when there is no bulkhead in place.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like the enclosed berth. This keeps the berth more separate from the cabin and makes it quite cozy. While we have the reversible forward dinette seat we always keep it in the aft facing position. Cutting the berth open would not make much difference because of the seat. I just wish the berth had more head room so it would be possible to sit up in other places than the center area (i.e. to be able to sit up in bed and read, be able to get up with less chance of hitting one's head).
C-Nile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
We like the enclosed berth. This keeps the berth more separate from the cabin and makes it quite cozy. While we have the reversible forward dinette seat we always keep it in the aft facing position. Cutting the berth open would not make much difference because of the seat. I just wish the berth had more head room so it would be possible to sit up in other places than the center area (i.e. to be able to sit up in bed and read, be able to get up with less chance of hitting one's head).

The one negative thing about our sleeping with our heads toward the bow is limited headroom, so we are in agreement there. My wife and I have hit our heads so many times that our foreheads have developed calluses. I think that is why it is advertised that people should sleep with their feet toward the bow. In that case, headroom issues would be eliminated. We can't sleep that way due to my reflux condition. I certainly understand what you are saying. Have you ever looked at a Rosborough? In my opinion, the berth is superior to Ranger Tugs, C-Dory's, and our Marinaut. Unfortunately, the berth and the head was the only thing we liked about the Rosborough. (Anyone who owns a Rosborough, please don't take offense. I'm speaking in terms of our preferences only and am not making a qualitative judgement. It is certainly a great boat.)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing how the deck just feels like *concrete* when you hit your head on it? I'm always surprised at how solid it feels, as if it were two feet thick (no, that's not my head Wink)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: