The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

110 Inlet Shorepower 30 Amp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: 110 Inlet Shorepower 30 Amp Reply with quote

I am having problems with my shore power. At first, I was not getting any power to my outlets. I did check for continuity, first at main breaker, tested good. Then, with power on ,breaker on nothing. tried resetting gfci. No go. Tried moving shore power cord to another box. Worked after changing main breaker. Wiggled shore power cord at inlet. Then I had good power. Deduced it was inlet. I am currently changing shore power inlet. Black was burnt and had missing insulation. I am changing the hole cord from shore power inlet to main breaker. I am using a number 6 3 stand tined. Has anyone else had the same problems? Sad
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed in another recent thread. The most common point of failure is at the inlet to the boat. This needs a secure fitting. Recommended currently is the "Smart plug" can help to prevent this.

For less money, you can make sure that the inlet has the screw on ring on the outside, and make sure that the ring on the 30 amp female connector to the boat, screws tightly into the inlet on the boat. If you continue with Marinco fittings, then be sure that the inlet has the "strain relief", and the cord set has the threaded ring to be sure it remains tight. Some anticorrosive material on the lugs of the plug will also help.

You mention changing the cord--but you also need to check the inlet, and replace as above.

Usually the cord is #10 wire for 30 amps, yes it must be copper stranded and should be tinned. The 50 amp cord is #6 wire.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: 110 Inlet Shorepower 30 Amp Reply with quote

I would start by changing both the cord end and the boats receptacle. The Smart Plug has a kit for both the receptacle and the plug end of your power cord. The one thing I liked about the Smart Plug receptacle was that it has a thermal breaker so if it should get hot it opens the circuit. They also feature about 20% more contact area. We always plug the boat end in first making sure there are no loads present then plug the other end into the power outlet ad then flip the breaker on to eliminate any arcing from occurring on either plug or receptacle. http://www.defender.com Look under shore power and then connectors
D.D.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: 110 shore power 30 amp Reply with quote

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: 110 Inlet Shorepower 30 Amp Reply with quote

Different question, but similar subject. Do you think #12 guage cord is ok for 20 amp ?

Martin.
nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Very Happy I did buy some 6 gauge wire. it was the wrong type and size. Embarassed I now have 10 x 3. It is the right size and will fit in the inlet socket. I am changing the wire run because the original wire is short and the black( hot ) is burnt and corroded. After repairs, I should have a good connection good solid power. Very Happy Thanks Neal
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 Inlet Shorepower 30 Amp Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
Different question, but similar subject. Do you think #12 guage cord is ok for 20 amp ?

Martin.

Is it OK? Depends on how long it is. I usually use 10 gauge, but if the cord is short, and you are going to be running 20 amps most of the time, up to 50 feet will be "acceptable" for 20 amps. There will be a voltage drop of 3.8 volts--and that is about the max acceptable drop.

This brings up another issue--and that is that many time when you are the end of a dock, in a marina, the voltage may have already dropped. I have seen marinas (and RV parks) where the voltage is down to the high 90's. So it is a good idea to measure the voltage when you are in a situation where this may be an issue. Again a good place for the Kill-0-Watt meter, which will measure frequency, Voltage, and current draw (watts or amps).

The 10 gauge cord also has a 3% voltage drop at 50 feet--about 7% at 100 feet!

The above is from the NEC tables, which can be found at:

http://home.mchsi.com/~gweidner/extension-cords.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: