The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Backing Up The Marinaut Into Slips In The Northeast -- Not!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Backing Up The Marinaut Into Slips In The Northeast -- Not! Reply with quote

In the Northeast, nearly everyone seems to want to back into transient berths. I just don't get it, because it risks damaging an engine. In the PNW, it's the opposite case. I have found it nearly impossible to back up our Marinaut and make a turn into a slip when the wind is significant and coming from the wrong direction. This is a situation where those that suggest twins are the best way -- I concede that they have a point. A single engine configuration like our Marinaut, as well as for C-Dory's -- our boats are like leafs on the water, and often act as weather vanes with the engine as the pivot point. In Greenport, NY this year, and at the request of the marina staff, we attempted to back into a slip where the strong westerly wind combined with the current caused us to be swept into a slip sideways. It was not pretty.

We have essentially eliminated this problem by refusing in all cases to back our boat into a slip. We go in bow first. We have yet to experience a difficulty with this method. Since it throws marina staff off when they tell us whether to do a stern-in port or starboard dock, we just fender up on both sides, and enter the slip bow first. What is nice is that our boat is so small that we don't normally stick out beyond the dock finger. We stay neatly and safely tucked inside.

So I asked an experienced marina worker why marinas in the Northeast request people to back in. Their response was that it was more sociable. I suppose to an extent it is true, but a large number of marinas in our area of the country are so crowded and the transient berths are so expensive, that to maximize their profit, they want people to back into floating docks, and lash the boats together at the gunnels. People walk through other boat's cockpits to get to land. We refuse to do that, and it is ridiculous for our sized boat.

Incidentally, the nice thing about have a smaller boat is that in the Northeast, we are usually berthed in transient slips near boats our size that are normally unoccupied. We have plenty of space, privacy and can catch a good breeze. We have noticed that larger boats grouped with boats of similar or larger size at times may experience more crowded conditions with less light and air circulation.

Rich

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Didn't know the differences between coasts. If going into a marina I always want a starboard tie as we have the swim ladder and BBQ on port slightly obstructing the rail. I just go in forward or stern however needed. I run a single. I found early on I would get blown around as we were lighter. Now i do astern into quite strong winds as we're loaded. The boat stays put better with a load. When rafted we always go across the fordeck. Always thought it odd to go thru the cockpit. But we're not rafter, party types.
George
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only back in if I'm not at risk of hitting another boat and I can tie up with the motor safely away from the dock. I prefer starboard to dock because I can see it better, and even grab a cleat from the helm.

at very crowded marinas (and even anchorages) in the PNW I've seen multiple times this year where it was common place for strangers to raft up. I rafted up with someone on the hook in the Tacoma area 'just because'. in Friday Harbor they explained to me that they pack the marina to full capacity, then they start rafting everyone up normally. I kind of like this very social aspect of boating, its like being welcomed into a family you haven't met yet.

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckDogTitus wrote:
I only back in if I'm not at risk of hitting another boat and I can tie up with the motor safely away from the dock. I prefer starboard to dock because I can see it better, and even grab a cleat from the helm.

at very crowded marinas (and even anchorages) in the PNW I've seen multiple times this year where it was common place for strangers to raft up. I rafted up with someone on the hook in the Tacoma area 'just because'. in Friday Harbor they explained to me that they pack the marina to full capacity, then they start rafting everyone up normally. I kind of like this very social aspect of boating, its like being welcomed into a family you haven't met yet.

We prefer a starboard dock, too, because our kicker is located on the port side. Unfortunately, my marina requires a port side dock, and it is easy to damage our kicker. As for rafting up, when we go into most marinas in the Northeast, we are usually the smallest cruiser. Our area of the country is extremely affluent. Can you imagine our demure cruiser rafted up to 30' to 60' yachts? If we rafted up, they would have to place us at the end. Good luck getting into some of those high gunnel boats. No thanks. We enter our slip, and then venture out to greet people and socialize.

Rich
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry but help me picture this rafting up at a marina. Same as rafting up in open water? So you have to venture across others' boat(s) to get to the dock? So what happens when the guy in the middle or the guy on the dock leaves and no one else is there? I can just picture a bunch of boats just floating away, or at least no easy way to get back on your boat. Shocked Question

Jake
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yes you are right Jake, and no I can't answer that question Mr. Green
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafting is common in BC summer cruising at marinas. Especially government docks. The wharfinger usually has docks for cruisers and docks for commercial. They try to match sizes of boats to each other either way. Comercial guys tend to leave early It can be a gong show if a big breeze is up. Lots of hands around usually to help extricate boats. Powercords can be a pain to deal with and we don't usually get power in summer. Side tie marina space is common away from cities. Carry extra fenders and a double set of docklines. It can be a great way to meet fellow cruisers especially if you totally nail your approach. Not so good if you mess it up but that is part of the fun. Go in slow!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
OK, sorry but help me picture this rafting up at a marina. Same as rafting up in open water? So you have to venture across others' boat(s) to get to the dock? So what happens when the guy in the middle or the guy on the dock leaves and no one else is there? I can just picture a bunch of boats just floating away, or at least no easy way to get back on your boat. Shocked Question

Jake

Usually, you try to arrange the raft so that the person who is leaving earliest is on the outside. However, I have been rafted up to after I left my boat and when I got there early in the AM I had to extricate my boat from the group. This involved a few extra lines and slowly walking my boat forward until the other guy could be pulled in and tied off to what I was tied to. It's a bit of a hassle, but at times when dock space is limited there may be no other option.

DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we rafted up with some other guys one night I knew they were going to be up late so I warned them we were planning on taking off at 4am-ish to fish and I'd try not to disturb them when we untied. I woke, quietly untied, pushed away from their boat and floated a bit before starting the motor (we were in a harbor on the hook, not in a marina).

I texted him later that day and asked, "did we wake you when we left?" he said "no no not even a chance, had no idea. did I wake you when I was puking last night?" Beer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: