The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mystery electrical system problem - not sure how to proceed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

I think where some of the confusion comes from is that the wiring diagram's don't show all of the fuses that you say you have.

Bill Kelleher

Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I'm not one to stick my nose in where it's not wanted, but I thought I'd offer a few thoughts...

thataway wrote:
The diagram shows that when the ACR relay is closed the current goes thru the fuse on the safety hub to the house battery. This could blow the fuse, as the batteries combine.

It seems to me as long as the fuse in the safety hub that the house switch is connected to is 30A or greater, this would not be a problem. The 'weak link' in the system would be the ACR 30A fuse (as long as any problem is downstream).

thataway wrote:
If the switch is put on combine, then any current from the house battery to the engine start battery will flow thru said 30 amp fuse. If you were to fuse the engine start, it should be 500 or so amps.

If the switch is on combine, then no current should flow through the 30A fuse - as there is a path of lower (near zero) resistance through the switch between both batteries. All of the current will flow through the "combine" function of the switch since the cables are much larger than the 30A fused wires and the ACR relays have some (more) resistance.

JMHO,
Ray
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill K wrote:
Sunbeam,

I think where some of the confusion comes from is that the wiring diagram's don't show all of the fuses that you say you have.

Bill Kelleher

Well blame me for that, not AK Angler. That said, I think the only fuse that is within the diagram's "area" and not shown is the inline fuse to the trim tab relay. I think we discussed it after the drawing was made; I may have left it out of my system description because we had eliminated the trim tabs as a possible cause; but of course now we are onto just critiquing my electrical system, beyond the "mystery" problem. That's fine by me as I now plan to make some changes (but first absorbing all this and formulating a plan).

The other part of the diagram that doesn't show everything is where the wires lead off up to the helm (there are many fuses there); but that was also probably not considered germane to the mystery.

I'll see if I can annotate the diagram and re-post it.

Edited to add: Here we go...

Sunbeam

Last edited by Sunbeam on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something happened to me year's ago. One day, my car would not start. The battery was fine, and there was no visible signs of corrosion. The (hot side) battery cable looked fine on the outside, but when I checked, the wire was corroded a few inches inside the cable. The starter could not get sufficient current to crank the engine over.

Is it possible that you have a problem with one of your cables? Internal decay or a defect could cause it to heat up under load and possibly blow a fuse.

Rich

Ray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

Re-looking at your diagram, it seems to me that if EITHER of your batteries, start or house, were very low, then the instant that either the ACR or the COMBINE switch joined them together, then a HUGE amount of current would be sent through the safety switch fuse as the good battery tried to transfer energy into the depleted battery (the physics tries to make this happen instantaneously).

In the case of the ACR, it is designed per the installation instructions such that the wire, likely 16ga, offers quite a bit of resistance to this in order to limit the current, and the 30A fuses in those wires (I assume you have them) would protect the wires themselves. When ACR-combined, though, there are then THREE fuses in series connecting the two batteries together.

[EDIT]
2 issues -
1) Looking back at your pictures, I don't see any fuses in your ACR wires that join the batteries. These are recommended by Blue Sea in the installation instructions (http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/990170140.pdf). This means that in all of the dissimilar batteries cases, the 30A safety fuse would be the only thing trying to limit surge currents. This fuse would definitely open if the batteries were far apart is charge when the ACR closed.
2) I was working from memory on other installations for the ACR - the wire sizes (16ga, etc.) are a function of the charging currents available in your system. The wire (and fuse) sizes are recommended in the installation link above.

The fuses in the ACR lines are the same value as the safety switch fuse in your case, so in the case of an immediate spike/surge that did run through the ACR wires, the weaker of any of those three would blow first. Could it be that the the safety switch fuse was just a bit shy of the two ACR fuses when the ACR combined? Maybe test a 40A fuse in the safety switch and see if one of the ACR 30's then blows first?

Alternatively, in the case of the master switch COMBINE (again with dissimilar battery levels), then the 30 safety switch fuse is the only one in the way of this large current surge, which could blow immediately.

This, again, is ONLY for the case that one or the other battery is very low compared to it's companion.

It also might make sense to take static voltage measurements on the two batteries at a time of similar occurrences (engine just having run, etc.). Or, also, after both have been resting for some time to see if there is a weak cell, etc. in one or the other of them.

Just some more thoughts.....

Last edited by Ray on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
Is it possible that you have a problem with one of your cables? Internal decay or a defect could cause it to heat up under load and possibly blow a fuse.

Although anything is possible, I'm guessing no at this point. Reasons being that the cabling is all new within the past ~year, the boat has not been in salt water, and the problem definitely occurs just when the ACR flips into "isolate" mode (OTOH, if we manually isolate, or if things are isolated already, then nothing problematic occurs). The problem does not occur when the ACR goes to combine.

So, we'll leave everything as-is for now (so as not to change more than one variable), put in the new ACR, and see if the problem changes. I hope it does, but if not, then we'll go back to sleuthing.

I think what we're talking over now is more how I can improve my overall layout (at least I think that's what is happening now). I welcome the input, and am shaping my idea of how to rearrange things to make it even better. Actually, I can't wait to dig into the area behind the helm and make it all neat and tidy.

Ray,

I see what you are saying with the way I have the main fuse on the battery side of the switch. (But there is only one 30 amp fuse, in the Safety Hub; the ACR wires, which are 6 gauge, do not have fuses.) In my case neither battery has ever been low at all, and there has never been any problem or fuse blowing when things go to "combine." But.... I will be moving the main fuse to the "other" side of the main switch so as to avoid this possibility in future, so it's good to have found it out.

Sunbeam
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Battery monitor shunt Reply with quote

Sunbeam:
The only thing I question is the way the battery monitor shunt is wired. You are creating a potential (much as a highly corroded terminal might do) between the two battery grounds. This could create all sorts of problems when you switch or eliminate one of the batteries. Might I suggest you tie both battery negatives to one side of the shunt, and the ground plane to the other.

anchorout

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: crazy computer Reply with quote

The computer cut my edit off.

Sunbeam:

I am headed to the Gulf Brat Gathering, but when I get back to my boat, I,ll see how the shunt is wired on it and get back to you. The way the schematic is wired, the shunt is only monitoring the charge through the house battery. That battery is always on line so that would work, but the accuracy would be in question as the current is also splitting to the starter battery.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery monitor shunt Reply with quote

Ray,

Looking at the ACR instructions, I see what you mean about the fuses in the ACR cables. I had this installed by a tech (a while back now), and at the time I didn't really understand enough to question how it was done, which was without fuses (although interestingly, the Blue Sea tech person didn't catch it either). So it looks like I need a 75-90 amp fuse in each of those #6 cables leading from "A" and "B" on the ACR to the two "cold" sides of the battery switch. Duly noted (my lazarette is going to be like a fuse depot!). I guess I may finally get a crimper for #6 battery lugs.

anchorout wrote:
Sunbeam:
The only thing I question is the way the battery monitor shunt is wired. You are creating a potential (much as a highly corroded terminal might do) between the two battery grounds. This could create all sorts of problems when you switch or eliminate one of the batteries. Might I suggest you tie both battery negatives to one side of the shunt, and the ground plane to the other.

anchorout: As I understand the Victron BMV-600S, it's meant to monitor one battery (or one bank). The BMV 602S is for two banks. I don't have a desire to monitor my start battery, so I chose the house bank as the one to monitor (in this case the "bank" being just one battery). I think this is what is shown in the installation manual here:

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Battery%20monitor%20quick%20install%20guide_REV10_05-07-2007.pdf

I annotated the diagram again to show more detail on the battery monitor circuit.

Sunbeam

PS: I can't recommend the battery monitor highly enough.
anchorout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: blasted computer Reply with quote

Glitch

Last edited by anchorout on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Are you in sales? Reply with quote

anchorout wrote:
Can't afford it. I'm already buying a safety hub.

Mr. Green
anchorout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing, now you know that you should be able to run the boat on ""combine" and not blow the house fuse, as the ACR would be out of the circuit.
Ray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Battery monitor shunt Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I don't have a desire to monitor my start battery, so I chose the house bank as the one to monitor (in this case the "bank" being just one battery). I think this is what is shown in the installation manual

I have my monitor connected exactly the same way, Sunbeam. This is a very typical single-battery setup.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

That looks good, with the same caveats Ray identified. Your plan to move the safety hub with its 30 A fuse to the other side of the main switch, will remove both.

My only reservation is that later you may decide you need more capacity for some rare, "emergency" set of conditions, as I mentioned earlier. However, with the safety hub past the main switch, using the two safety hub terminals which bypass the 30 A fuse, add ons (separately fused) could solve that issue. The existing 10 ga wire will be unused after you go to 6 ga for the main feed to the helm, so there is some capacity there ... don't recall what you calculated for maximum load on that wire. In lieu, with 6 ga wire coming off the safety hub, is there any reason you can not increase the rating of that fuse from 30 A to a higher one, feeding add ons from the positive buss?

The problem of a surge of current from a fully charged battery flowing to a nearly dead battery through that 30 A fuse will be moot when the safety hub is moved.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, when leaving the boat for any length of time, disconnect the + battery cables. If the boat is in the water, then the bilge pump auto circuit would have to be left connected. I have never had any issue with ACR depleting the batteries over days.

Ray, you don't run with the switch on combine, that is why there is the ACR. Pretty much established that a surge when the batteries are combined thru the ACR, that could blow the 30 amp fuse. Looks as if this has been changed.
Only Sunbeam knows exactly how this is wired.

Ref. the tt relay, if you put it on the diagram should be shown properly.

I suspect we will see the corrected, or proper diagram to avoid these issues.

Sorry I can not draw diagrams from the I pad...

Back to the Gulf Coa st gathering.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: