The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mystery electrical system problem - not sure how to proceed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The person who Sunbeam had help wire her boat, used a 100 Safety hub (which can really handle a total of 7 circuits) for just a single expensive and hard to obtain, 30 amp AMI fuse. . If this is the case, a single circuit breaker would do the same, at less price and then you would not be stuck trying to find the AMI fuse on Lake Powell.

It's my understanding that there are other circuits wired directly to Sunbeam's SafetyHub 100 in addition to the main house circuit. So, using only a single breaker at the battery would have meant running those other circuits from the helm, adding additional load to the main 10ga house circuit, and unnecessary complexity to the system.

And, I agree: 'The moral here seems to be understand what you have, and why you have it, in the circuit breaker/fuse protection on the boat.'

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
thataway wrote:
You have the relay trim tabs at 20 amps, and the auto pilot at 15 amps--just there you are over 30 amps. Are these going to draw 35 amps at the same time?You are close to the limit with 30 amps.

Not so. Those circuits are FUSED for 15 and 20 amps. They should never draw anywhere near that much unless there's a problem with those components, which would then blow those fuses before they blow the larger main fuse.

Generally fuses are 25% over the rated draw of the appliance. Some are more for low current draw items. In the above case I put a question? I choose examples with motors. Places where I have seen motors draw excessively;
Lenco trim tabs when the motor meets resistance on the spiral screw. Auto pilot motors as against heavy resistance in rough seas. (Also Macerator pumps and wash down pumps, where an impeller is stuck--that is why there is a slot in the shaft to turn the motor to free the impeller).

Another area I have noted fuse problems in many boats is radios--radio rated a 5 amps--fuse for 5 amps is common. First transmit-blows the fuses, so If I am going on a new boat, I carry a bunch of fuses.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
AK Angler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great clarification Bob, and I agree completely. But, I would add one caveat...

Regardless of the rated power draw of the attached systems, fuses should always be properly sized to protect the wire - and never, never above that. You can always use a smaller fuse if the system draw is lower. But if the calculated system draw exceeds the proper fuse size for the wire, the carrying capacity of the wire in the circuit (either size or number of wires) should be increased before increasing fuse size.

Big wire with small fuses = good.
Small wire with big fuses = bad.

EDIT:
We're really discussing two issues here.

1) Wire size should be determined based on expected load and wire length, so as not to exceed recommended voltage drop limits.

2) Fuse size should be determined based on either wire size or load - using the smaller of the two to choose the proper fuse.

Typically, wire size will determine the maximum fuse size, and load will determine the minimum fuse size.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back online - another great bunch of replies. I'll address a couple of things (as far as I understand them)

Thataway: I completely agree on the "understand what you have and why." The electrical system is my least understood one, and although I think the new systems I (and the tech) put in are probably good, it has bothered me not to understand them completely. And then too there are the original parts that I have not gone through yet, none of which strike me as overly robust or elegantly simple.

I'm taking this problem as a "kickstart" to my understanding things better and making improvements (myself). Up until now I had a certain pressure from spending a long time working on a lot of projects and not having used the boat yet. Now that I've had the good fortune to spend a month on Powell with a good friend, I'm a bit more relaxed about another (hopefully smaller!) round, including some new-to-me things (electrical). Also, it's nice to have had some experience aboard to help shape my thoughts on how I might use things (of course more time is necessary Very Happy)

On the Safety Hub: I agree that there may be other as-good or even better ways, but it does have other uses as it stands now than just the one main fuse. There are my two bilge pumps wired into the top "always live" slots, and there was the Wallas in one of those too (before I removed it from the boat; but I may get a Wallas furnace and so it would go there I believe). I'm sure there are other ways to handle the bilge pump loads, (like maybe another bus or something). Not sure I would get it again, but I'll probably keep it for now (I think?) (and of course carry more fuses - I had only the one in there and one spare).

AK Angler: I appreciate your organized scenarios in options for improving things. I don't have most of those things even on the boat yet (radar, a second 12 volt outlet, washdown pump, electric wipers, etc.) but I do want to plan for them. And worst-case scenarios are good to plan for. I'll have to think over how to do it within the options. I believe I want to replace the 10 gauge wire (even if I do put in two wires) just because it is original, probably not marine/tinned, and I'd like to lay eyes on it (as I replace it!)

Astoria Dave: Appreciate your input and thoughts on "future proofing."

Today's update on the mystery problem:

This morning found us with the new 12-volt outlet in place with its 10-amp fuse, and the "main fuse" being a 20-amp blade fuse on the Safety Hub. I had taped over the trim tab switches so I would not use them. We started out by backing into the beach to change props (I wanted to do a WOT test with my original prop), then headed out into Padre Bay to test it. I had just the VHF/Depth/Chartplotter on - nothing else. About two minutes showed the prop to be woefully inadequate (4800 rpm at WOT) (more details in the other thread I started on props), so since we had 25 miles to go (and a bunch of fuel to burn up besides), I headed right back into the beach to change back to my "Powell prop." After shutting down the engine I turned off the depth sounder, then we did the prop switch, and then pushed off, I lowered the engine, started it, looked back to be sure of indicator water stream, and looked forward to see.... no electronics. Darn! Since I was looking back I'm not sure when they went off, other than that they were on after I shut the engine down and tilted it up when I backed into the beach.

So:

- Nothing was even in the (new) cigar lighter outlet
- Just the three "instruments" were on.
- I did tilt the engine back down and start it (not sure if that affects the main fuse, since it still runs without the main fuse).

Granted, we were on only a 20-amp fuse (jury rig), so maybe it's a completely different issue and not really a "clue." I never expected a 20-amp main fuse to be adequate (but then, it IS adequate for a chartplotter, depth sounder, and VHF (no transmitting done). So I'm back to some sort of short or wiring issue (vs. the cigar socket).

Of course, being "pro's" now, we made short work of robbing the 15-amp fuse from the autopilot and putting that in our slot, and away we went, back to Wahweap. No more issues with electricals. Ahhh.

By the time we got our tow rig and trailer back (had to shuttle to storage and back) it was after 4 p.m. Taking one look at how much work it will be to sort things out (i.e. change from living on boat to van), and also needing to burn off some fuel yet, it was an easy decision to putter back to a nearby anchorage for one more night afloat (yay!) Tomorrow morning we'll take out Crying or Very sad And then we'll be delving preliminarily into the electrical while still here (mostly looking over wiring for shorts/chafing/other issues), plus cleaning/sprucing/winterizing. Later will come upgrading some of the electrical system -- before the next boat trip (plus laying in a stock of fuses!)

Sunbeam
AK Angler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's certainly disappointing that the new 12V outlet didn't solve the problem, at least you can now rule it out with a pretty high level of confidence. So, of course, the next step is it to check out the main house feed.

Hopefully you won't run out of 'spare' fuses before you get this ironed out. Mr. Green
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
Is it possible that you have a parallel connection downstream from your "safety hub" that allows part of the current for your trim relays to pass through the fuse that you are having trouble with? If you have a parallel circuit, the current will be divided over both branches according to their resistance. If the circuit that normally carries the current for your trim relays is partially corroded, the current to run them may be diverted through other parallel paths. Backfeeds can be tough to find and can be a source of intermittent problems. If you have two bilge pumps on one common manual switch, that would be a backfeed. Look for a tie between the two batteries on the load side of your safety hub. You could be getting a backfeed through the hub in the reverse direction while starting the motor if one battery is stronger than the other.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess says a short somewhere in that main wire going from the fuse that keeps blowing. Perhaps the sheathing chafed off at a screw somewhere, etc.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

If I understand Forrest correctly, he is suggesting a bad ground on a high current load may be the culprit. A look see, with the aid of a squirt of Corrosion Block and a loosening and retightening of suspect ground terminals may ferret this out without any highfalutin' meter work or other brain cramps. Any ground connections which show lots of corrosion should be replaced ... here is hoping the wiring is marine grade. Smile

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Schematics Reply with quote

Sunbeam:
I know this is all confusing, but it is very hard to troubleshoot over the net, without being onsite to physically see how things are wired. These boats were probably originally wired the same (I have schematics in my owner's manual). But most have been modified to carry more current to feed more goodies. The boat I recently bought had a separate fuse panel under the sink. I spent 3 days straightening out the wiring.

Personally, once I understood where and how the safety panel was used, I have ordered one for my boat. It beats having multiple runs with inline fuses, all piled onto a battery terminal.

On my boat, the engine circuits, that is the tilt/trim, dash engine instruments, starter solenoid, etc are insulated from all other circuits on the boat. In other words, nothing I do with the engine should cause current to run down the wire to the main fuse panel. In your case, through the 30amp fuse. So, on your last episode, either something is wired so as to cross talk with the engine circuits, doubtful, or we are still chasing the elusive short circuit.

Whatever the fix turns out to be, I'd give you a free ride to fish the rigs in the Gulf to know what you finally find. Again, good luck.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Schematics Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
While it's certainly disappointing that the new 12V outlet didn't solve the problem, at least you can now rule it out with a pretty high level of confidence.

There is that!

AK Angler wrote:
Hopefully you won't run out of 'spare' fuses before you get this ironed out. Mr. Green

Ha ha, see next post.... "Okay, what should we pull next..."

colbysmith wrote:
My best guess says a short somewhere in that main wire going from the fuse that keeps blowing. Perhaps the sheathing chafed off at a screw somewhere, etc.

A preliminary check last night didn't show anything, but there were a couple of spots I could not see. Tomorrow I will be going over every inch of that wire with a fine-toothed comb. Sure would be nice to find some glaring flaw.

AstoriaDave wrote:
If I understand Forrest correctly, he is suggesting a bad ground on a high current load may be the culprit.

Another thing to check out. Although that said, I don't think we had any high current loads during the last three episodes. But we're going to just look at everything closely tomorrow. Will be easier now that we're not worried about taking apart our boat "at sea," and with lockers emptied.

anchorout wrote:
Sunbeam:
I know this is all confusing,

You can say that again!

anchorout wrote:
... but it is very hard to troubleshoot over the net, without being onsite to physically see how things are wired.

I do realize that, and it makes me appreciate everyone's help all the more. I'm sure if you (or others) were here you'd have it figured out in short (ha) order

anchorout wrote:
These boats were probably originally wired the same (I have schematics in my owner's manual). But most have been modified to carry more current to feed more goodies. The boat I recently bought had a separate fuse panel under the sink. I spent 3 days straightening out the wiring.

And to add to that, I think that many of the dealers did some (or most?) of the wiring, so there was no "standard." That said, my boat at least hasn't been "piled onto" by a bunch of owners (had 52 hours when when I bought it). Basically it looks like it was oufitted nicely but minimally when new and then never changed (until I came along and started a refit, but electrically, I have only gotten as far as the battery/lazarette area, plus adding the trim tabs and a battery monitor - I have not done much behind the helm yet).

anchorout wrote:
Personally, once I understood where and how the safety panel was used, I have ordered one for my boat. It beats having multiple runs with inline fuses, all piled onto a battery terminal.

Neat - I'm glad you were able to get a helpful idea from the thread.

anchorout wrote:
On my boat, the engine circuits, that is the tilt/trim, dash engine instruments, starter solenoid, etc are insulated from all other circuits on the boat. In other words, nothing I do with the engine should cause current to run down the wire to the main fuse panel.

I see. I think mine is that way too (e.g. a blown main fuse does not affect engine running or engine gauges - they still work fine), except that since I have an ACR (automatic charging relay)... I guess that means that when the engine is running and the ACR is "on," then current can be "sucked" into the house system from the engine charging system. Is that still considered a "connection" or would you say my engine system is "insulated" like yours?

anchorout wrote:
Whatever the fix turns out to be, I'd give you a free ride to fish the rigs in the Gulf to know what you finally find.

Well shoot, now it's starting to sound like the whole thing is worth it Mr. Green Thank you for the invite - that would be really cool -- but of course I will report back in any case. Threads without follow up drive me nuts!

Okay, summary -- including #4, #5 and #6 (yep) in next post.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks again for the great input! Just so you know, I've received a private message from another 22 owner (who doesn't have an electrical problem) who said he's gotten a lot out of reading the thread, and will be casting a critical eye on parts of his electrical system as a result. I was happy to hear that this "gold mine" of information isn't helping only me.

Today we pulled out of Lake Powell. Feels weird to be back on land: Wal-Mart (food), traffic....the full catastrophe Very Happy

But back to the "exciting" news (ahem): We spent last night anchored out across from the ramp, and had Episode 4 in the saga, and then this morning Episodes 5 and 6. A veritable bonanza of clues Wink Although we have not found the source of the problem yet Cry. Tomorrow morning will be the massive boat washing/un-loading, and then we dive into the electrical.

Below I'm going to summarize all 6 "episodes," just so it's all laid out in one place. I also remembered a couple more details from the first time, which may help. But before that, I'll just say that none of the wiring on the boat looks at all corroded or "old." Now that said, it's nothing special in the "tidy and elegant" department (yet!), and there is obviously a problem (which I am determined to find), but basically overall it all looks fresh and clean.

So, back to the summary. I'll write a bit of "chatty stuff" about each time, and then summarize the facts so those who only want to read that part can skip the drivel Wink

Episode #1
After running around Lake Powell for three weeks in all types of conditions with no problems, one day about 10 days ago found us in a small, glassy pool area way back in a canyon. At first I drifted with the engine running in neutral, but soon I found that the boat would pretty much stay where she was anyway, so I shut the engine down and we decided to eat lunch while enjoying the silence and scenery. I left the VHF and GPS on, and my laptop may have been plugged in with the small inverter to the cigar lighter, but I can't remember for sure about that. Nothing else was on. After about five minutes we had begun to drift toward one wall, so I started the engine, reversed a hair, and then shut it off. The trim tab auto retractor ran (I now remember that it ran the full 15 seconds, and did not "cut off" early), and then after a moment when I looked back forward I noticed "hey, the instruments are all dark." I checked and the engine still started fine, and the engine-specific gauges worked. We looked and found the main (30 amp) fuse blown, and put in my spare one. We also decided to disable the trim tab auto retractor just in case, and because I found I didn't like it anyway. All then functioned great for 8 days of running around fast and slow, living aboard, and etc.

Summary of Episode #1

After three weeks of cruising with no problem
Drifting in glass calm water
VHF on
GPS on
Laptop maybe plugged into cigar lighter
Started engine, reversed slightly, shut engine off
Trim tab auto retractors cycled fully
Shortly thereafter I noticed GPS and VHF were not on
Main 30 amp fuse was blown.
We put in spare 30-amp fuse

Eight days later, on another glass calm day, we motored at hull speed for a couple of hours out of another deep canyon. Then we planed to a "potti island" (like a floating dock) and tied up. I shut down the engine but left the VHF, depth sounder, and GPS on. Buddy's phone/tablet were charging in the cigar lighter through a USB adapter plug.

We spent around 45 minutes on the dock, emptying the porta potti and then chatting with the maintenance fellow and his ride-along dogs there, whom we'd run into previously up-lake. Then I went aboard and got online to check weather and C-Brats (but computer was completely unconnected to boat and just running on its internal battery). A few minutes later my buddy said "Uh-oh.... the instruments are all dark." Nooo! Yep, the spare 30-amp main fuse was blown. That's when I started this thread. Then we traced each electrical item on the boat to its fuse and found the cigar lighter was not fused (everything else was). We replaced the cigar lighter socket with a new Blue Sea one I had aboard, put it on an unused slot on the fuse block with a 10-amp fuse (for now), and re-wired the main fuse to utilize a 20-amp blade fuse (knowing we would go easy on the draws).

Summary of Episode #2

Eight days after first one
Tied to a dock in glass calm water
Engine off (no more trim tab retractor as we had disabled it)
VHF on
GPS on
Depth sounder on
Phone/tablet plugged into cigar lighter
After an hour or so buddy noticed GPS/VHF/Depth sounder were not on
Main 30 amp fuse was blown.
Put in 20 amp fuse (spare)

From the potti island we planed about 7 miles to our next anchorage. We didn't use the trim tabs although I did charge my laptop for a half hour or so. All went fine. It was a quiet night at anchor. The next morning I started the engine and backed into the beach so we could change props (testing a few of them on this trip). Shut off and tilted engine, changed prop. Then went out exploring and shortly thereafter did a WOT run. It was a glassy, windless day - perfect for a test. I used the trim tabs once - just set them for planing and then did my WOT run. WOT was not satisfactory, so I ran back to the beach, backed in, shut off engine and tilted it up, then shut off the depth sounder. Then we changed the prop. I had left the VHF/GPS on during this.

After the previous prop was back on (five minutes), I went to the helm and my buddy shoved us off. When we got to deeper water I trimmed the engine down, started it, and looked back to see the "pee stream" start as is my habit. Next I went to turn the depth sounder back on and saw.... no instruments. By now we were getting pretty quick at this, so I took a 15 amp fuse from the auto pilot slot on the fuse block and we put that in as the "main" fuse. By now we were not using anything that drew much -- no more tab use, retractors remained unhooked (and will stay that way as I don't favor them). Basically just running with instruments and engine.

Summary of Episode #3
One day after second one
Shoved off beach in glass calm water
VHF had been left on
GPS had been left on
Tilted engine down and started it, watched for pee stream
Turned forward and reached to turn on depth sounder and... found all instruments were dark.
20-amp fuse was blown
Put in 15 amp fuse from autopilot (stock was running low!)
(Nothing was plugged in to new cigar lighter.)

Then we ran around 30 miles back to the launch ramp area. It was not very windy, but (as anyone who has boated on this particular stretch probably remembers) it is a sort of "Maytag Straits." The walls are sheer rock and it's narrow, and it gets very rocky/rolly/bouncy due to reverberating boat wakes. We stayed up at about 12 knots, and definitely did our share of rocking and rolling (got waked pretty good two or three times). But we pressed on and all went fine. We stopped at the Wahweap store for (much appreciated!) food, and I went and got the tow vehicle from storage. In the evening (yesterday) we puttered across a quiet bay and anchored on yet another glass calm night. We had three things on: The GPS, the LED anchor light, and the trim tab indicator LED lights (they stay on by manufacturer design). After a couple of hours and another nice moonrise, we noticed "Gee, it seems kind of dark in here." Yep, the instruments and anchor light had gone dark. Three guesses why....

We robbed a 10-amp fuse from the cockpit spotlight slot and put that in as the main fuse, then kept the GPS and anchor light on. I couldn't see how it could be the trim tab relay (it is attached to the positive bus along with the helm feed wire), but just to be sure, I pulled its inline fuse. So no powered relay, and no LED indicator lights at helm. Then I just had to start sleuthing again. I remembered a mechanic friend telling me that sometimes you can notice things at night with a good flashlight that you cannot see during the day so I figured, why not look around now.

I traced the main helm feed wire from the fuse block behind the helm back to the positive bus. I could see it most of the way and it looked fine. There were a couple of places where it was in the middle of the wiring bundle, but I could not see anything there that could be getting in to disturb it. No cable ties, screws, etc. (Of course we'll be looking at it further, but this was just preliminary because I had to do something.)

I then traced the (not long) wire that leads from the positive bus to the main battery switch - that looked fine (and was new put in by me recently). I wiggled all the (new) wires around the main battery switch. I did find that that wire from the positive bus was slightly loose. I wiggled and pulled on it like mad while keeping my eye on the anchor light but nothing even flickered. Also I think if that did cause a problem it would not blow the main fuse anyway. I'll be tightening it after that whole switch/wires are looked over tomorrow. I then went behind the helm and looked over the fuse block, wiggled everything, looked for any negative wires that might be causing a short... didn't find anything. Went to bed and slept poorly; mentally started writing this post around 4 a.m. But the light/GPS stayed on all night with no further problem.

Summary of Episode #4
One day after third one
Anchored in calm seas.
GPS was on
LED anchor light was on
Trim tab indicator LED's were on
After a few hours we noticed it had gotten "dark"
15-amp main fuse was blown
Put in 10 amp fuse
Removed fuse from trim tab relay, disabling relay and LED indicator lights
Left GPS and anchor light on
They stayed on all night.

This morning we needed to "get rid of" some fuel, so we alternately planed and puttered around Wahweap Bay. We were running with just the GPS/VHF/Depth sounder. It was a sunny, glassy morning (I know, it sounds like it is glassy all the time, but we spent literally days - a few times - holed up for blows earlier on this trip). After a few hours we went over toward the beach and shut down the engine and drifted while we measured out and added Stabil to the fuel tanks. After we finished that I started the engine and noticed .... all the instruments were dark (groan). I didn't notice if the engine starting affected them or not, but just noticed shortly after the engine was running that they were off. We dug out a 10-amp fuse (from the cabin lights slot...) and set out to let the Stabil "mix in" (we were in sight of the ramp by now). I guess this means the trim tabs are off the list as they were completely disabled (their fuse was pulled last night and left out).

Summary of Episode #5
One day after fourth one
Drifting in calm seas.
GPS was on
VHF was on
Depth sounder was on
Trim tab relay and LED indicators were completely disabled (fuse pulled)
After re-starting the engine I noticed the instruments were dark.
10-amp main fuse was blown
Put in another 10 amp fuse.

Now we shut down the main engine (still nice calm seas) and went to start the kicker to let it run to get the stabilized fuel into it, and then let it run out of fuel (will drain carbs later). I think we breathed on the handle (ha, enrichment circuit) because it would not start right away. I went to the helm to re-start the main engine but before I even turned the key I noticed.... yep, the instruments were off. Well this is getting old! We put in another 10 amp fuse and then buddy suggested disconnecting the ACR. Okay, sure, let's see if it blows again, in which case we can eliminate that.

Summary of Episode #6
Same day as fifth one (today)
Drifting in calm seas.
GPS was on
VHF was on
Depth sounder was on
Trim tab relay and LED indicators were completely disabled (fuse pulled)
Engine was off
Instruments went "dark" while engine off
10-amp main fuse was blown
Put in another 10 amp fuse.
Disconnected the ACR (automatic charging relay).

After this we got the Honda started (operator error the first time), ran around on it for 20 minutes or so to get the stabilized fuel into it, then pulled the fuel line (and ran, and ran.... until it finally ran out of fuel). Then we re-started the main and went around a bit more, almost hoping for Episode #7 so we could eliminate the ACR, but finally we just had to retrieve - the ramp was starting to get busier and we wanted to get onto the trailer (and go get more food!). But... there was no episode #7 (yet).

Since we're going to be spending a couple of days getting the boat squared away, we decided to leave the GPS and VHF on for now (on the trailer), just to see if they would "blow" again. We left the ACR disconnected. I just looked.... instruments are still on....

After we get the boat cleaned/emptied and organized, then we'll start poring over the wiring (including that pesky helm feed) and electricals.

Sunbeam

PS: I can't wait to find out why this never happens when we're bouncing along in a seaway, but rather only when we're on a glass smooth sea and or not even moving on a glass smooth sea. Puzzling!
AK Angler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely puzzling... I'm going to have to ponder these last few failures for a bit.
AK Angler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, I've been looking at the electrical pictures you have in your album, and I'm thoroughly confused. Lots of questions here...

With the possible exception of the ground wire, the ACR should be connected directly to the batteries - and only the batteries. Is your ACR connected to the SafetyHub?

What else is connected to the positive lug on the SafetyHub? Does that wire go to a battery? Does it go the the switch in the next picture?

Also, I can't tell from your pictures, which switch do you have?

Are there only two red wires connected to that switch? Where do they go?

Finally, just to make sure I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing in your pictures...

How many batteries are you running?
How many engines are connected to the boat electrical system?
How many battery switches do you have?
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
Sunbeam, I've been looking at the electrical pictures you have in your album, and I'm thoroughly confused. Lots of questions here...

Hi and thanks for taking the time to look/think about this. I really appreciate it.

I have changed things a bit since those photos, and plus it looks like they were taken halfway through the job - before the wiring was actually completed. I guess I should remove those and add some new ones instead. Let me describe what I have as well as I can with a grand tour of the lazarette. But first a couple of specific things and answers to your questions:

First the change I mentioned: As it turns out, the ACR - wired as per instructions - will draw a small load all the time (even when battery switch is off). I called Blue Sea to talk to them about this, and they first recommended I put a small switch in the black ground wire of the ACR. Well, this didn't really interest me. I felt that one of the reasons to have this style of switch/ACR/system was to "turn it on" when getting to the boat and "turn it off" when leaving. Having to remember to turn off another little switch just rubbed me the wrong way. But to Blue Sea's credit, they understood, and gave me a couple of different options. One of those was to wire both sides of the ACR to the main battery switch. So that is what I did. Now when I turn off the main battery switch the ACR is de-energized and does not draw any small load. And still just the one "on/off" switch to turn. So that little "jumper" lead you see from the Safety Hub to the ACR is no longer there. Also I added a positive bus, and the batteries have switched physical spots from the photo (turned out I had received the wrong start battery, and it did not have a high enough CCA rating; when I got a new/larger one, I had to rearrange a bit and get some new cables of different lengths).

AK Angler wrote:
With the possible exception of the ground wire, the ACR should be connected directly to the batteries - and only the batteries. Is your ACR connected to the SafetyHub?

Not anymore. As mentioned above, now the two positive (red) cables coming from the ACR go to the two "cold side" terminals on the main battery switch - as suggested by Blue Sea to avoid the "parasitic" drain when the battery switch is off. So .... the ACR is not connected directly to the batteries.... maybe this is the problem and I misunderstood something?

AK Angler wrote:
What else is connected to the positive lug on the SafetyHub? Does that wire go to a battery? Does it go the the switch in the next picture?

I'll run through it all in sequence in my "grand tour" below.

AK Angler wrote:
Also, I can't tell from your pictures, which switch do you have?

It's the Blue Sea M-Series Dual Circuit Plus, part # 6011.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/6011/m-Series_Mini_Dual_Circuit_Plus_Battery_Switch_-_Red

AK Angler wrote:
Are there only two red wires connected to that switch? Where do they go?

I'll describe all the wires to the switch below.

AK Angler wrote:
Finally, just to make sure I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing in your pictures...

How many batteries are you running?

Two, one dedicated house (Group 31 AGM) and a smaller dedicated start battery (also AGM). Both were new as of my refit, as are the other components and cables in the lazarette.

AK Angler wrote:
How many engines are connected to the boat electrical system?

Two, a Yamaha F80 and a Honda 8D (electric start).

AK Angler wrote:
How many battery switches do you have?

Just the one Blue Sea 6011.

So now for the tour:

I will run around the starboard lazarette counterclockwise, as that is sort of how the system goes. We'll start on the inboard "wall" forward to aft:

First, I have a house battery. It is a Full River Group 31 AGM battery. The positive lead from that goes to the left side of safety hub. The negative lead goes to the "input side" of the shunt for the battery monitor.

Next in physical presence is the start battery. It is a Full River AGM also, and I'm not sure of the group number, but it is their HC-44 battery. It was chosen because the physical size fit well (a bit smaller than a Group 24) and it has plenty of CCA. The positive lead from the start battery goes to the main battery switch, to the terminal I'll call "hot side #1." The negative lead goes to the "output" side of the shunt for the battery monitor (that's my terminology, but it's the side of the shunt that goes to the negative bus, not the side the house battery negative comes into.

Next is the Safety Hub. That has the house battery positive cable coming into the left side, and a positive battery cable leading out from the bottom and over to the main switch, to the terminal I'll call "hot side #2." (On the main switch, I used the #1 terminals for start stuff, and the #2 terminals for house stuff.) On the unswitched part of the Safety Hub (up top) are the bilge pump automatic switch wires.

Next is the ACR. Two cables go from the ACR to the main battery switch. One goes to the terminal I'll call "cold side #1," and the other goes to the terminal I'll call "cold side #2." (This is the re-wire Blue Sea suggested as an option so that the ACR does not draw a small "parasitic" load even when the battery switch was off and the boat not in use.) The small black ground wire from the ACR goes to the negative bus.

Next around the circle tour of the lazarette we hop over to the outboard "wall," after end, and find the battery monitor shunt. It has the incoming negative cable from the house battery on the "input" side, and the incoming negative cable from the start battery on the "output" side*. A cable also leads from this "output" side to the negative bus (further down the line).

*or maybe I led the negative cable from the start battery to the negative bus; I forget which worked out better physically, but I believe it's the same thing electrically. I'll have to look tomorrow.

Next is the main battery switch. It's a Blue Sea with "On," "Off," and "Combine" positions on the switch face, and on the inside four terminals, two #1 and two #2. I used the #1's for Start battery things, and the #2's for House things. Let me try to remember everything that is on that and where! So let's see. "Hot side #1" has the positive lead from the start battery. "Cold side" #1 has one positive cable from each engine, and one of the cables from the ACR. "Hot side #2" has the incoming positive cable from the Safety Hub. "Cold side" #2 has an outgoing cable leading to the next item around the ring, which is the positive bus, and also an incoming cable from the ACR.

Next is the positive bus (which was not in those photos at all), with the incoming cable from the main switch - from "cold side #2" (house loads). Coming off of the positive bus are two wires: One to the trim tab relay, and one that is the "infamous" feed wire leading up to the fuse block behind the helm (cue the ominous music!)

Last is the negative bus. That has an incoming black cable from the battery monitor shunt (and effectively the negative cable from the start battery, which I can't remember if I led to the shunt or to this bus). Then there are the two negative cables from the two engines. There are two ground wires that I brought in from the two (metal) fuel fills. Plus I think the negative from the trim tab relay (or maybe from the HPU, or both? I'll have to look). I think the small black ground wire from the ACR. And... I can't remember what all else right now (but probably it's self-explanatory). I will have to take a look (I have the wires labeled now, which was not yet done in the photos)

And now we are all the way around the tour of the lazarette and back to the house battery. Cookies will be served in the lobby Laughing

I hope this is not "clear as mud"!

Sunbeam
AK Angler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. I'm pretty sure I could follow everything. I'm gonna go make myself a couple of sketches, and stare at 'em for a bit...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: