The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat 24 Trailer Help Sought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Tomcat 24 Trailer Help Sought Reply with quote

Purchased a used 2001 Easy Loader trailer which was formerly used by another Tomcat 24 owner. Given that the trailer was originally set up and used as a Tomcat 24 carrier, I believe it is sufficient to carry my identical boat.

Many have said that the previous trailers were of poor design or quality. I presume that this might be speaking of the one I purchased. I am not sure how the subsequent trailers were improved upon to make the trailer better.

Can someone please provide some insight as to what must be done to improve on the trailer or suggestions as to how I can make the use of this trailer safer.

I realize that this question is vague given that you are not seeing the boat or trailer, but the tires, brakes, and electrical is in good working condition.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the TC 255 trailer I had from Float on and the one down the street (I think EZY loader?) was substantial. The trailer I had could carry about 13,000 lbs (wheel and tire weight--axle was a bit less). The inner bunks were much beefier--also the bow stop was better. In fact the trailer I have for the Caracal--18 foot cat, weight about 1500 lbs including single 140 hp engine. --is beefier than the one for the Tom Cat 24. A lot had to do with cross bracing.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a used 255 trailer hold my boat better given that the hulls are the same but designed to carry more weight? Or would the 255 trailer be too long.

I have not yet carried my boat on this trailer of mine and am trying to get ideas of what I might do to improve the experience prior to my first try.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that there are a number of variations on trailers for the 255. The boats used 150 engines, and had more weight aft, so the balance would be difference. The trailer would be slightly longer, but there was over hang with the two foot engine bracket. The weight capacity would be more.

Tom Cat 225 trailer;

Caracal 18 trailer:

These are similar trailers, but there is more bracing than on the Tom Cat 24 trailer down the street.
Coastal crew

City/Region: Courtenay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Salty Roads
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Tom cat trailer Reply with quote

Can someone please provide the distance between the center points of the sponsons? I'm trying to build a trailer for my new 3 me 24 Tom cat.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's the expert on how to load a TomKat 25. So my comments are just about EZ Loader trailers.

I think EZ Loader makes a great trailer. I'm on my second (from 2 boats,) and I think they're sturdy. If you're going to haul a boat the size of the 24, I'd make sure it has disk brakes. In addition, just to be safe, I'd change the hub bearings to Timken bearings. Other than that how's the galvanizing? Want LED lights? Can't think of any other comments about those trailers. I'd try the trailer and see how it works before I did anything.

If I remember right, the problem was with how the 24 was supported on the trailer, as Bob indicates. EZ Loaders are built up, that is various stringers, bunk supports and other support parts are not integral to the trailer but added as needed with U-bolts. So, since you already have the trailer, perhaps, if you need to, you can change the supports around. Discuss it with EZ Loader customer service. Toms Outboards in Olympia would be a good place to visit and talk. They helped me out with Journey On's trailer. Plus there's a distributor somewhere in the Seattle area.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you building your trailer? Is this a mono hull trailer, you are modifying, or a cat trailer you are changing to fit the Tom Cat 24. Sorry I no longer own the Tom Cat, so cannot give you much help--I could measure my neighbors' Tom Cat 24 trailer, but I am leaving for a week in the AM. If you still want that information in a week, I'll be happy ti measure it.
vandermeyj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: tomcat on float on trailer... Actual Length? Reply with quote

My trailer is one space...boat in another, building a garage somewhere else.

Anyone measured twice so I can cut once? Thanks!

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many years of trailer troubles we built a custom 12K lbs trailer and never looked back. So far it has been flawless. I measure 64" center to center spoons at the rear of the boat. The front hull has some confounding angles so that is where I would pay particular attention.

[url][/url]

[/url]

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tomcat on float on trailer... Actual Length? Reply with quote

vandermeyj wrote:
My trailer is one space...boat in another, building a garage somewhere else.

Anyone measured twice so I can cut once? Thanks!

What measurements do you want? Length over all, tongue, extreme width (out side of fenders) etc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: