The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Trailering and Invasive Species
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back to life. On my recent trip out to the PNW and back, all inspections went pretty smooth. Out I90, back I94. Two inspections in Montana going out, 1 just before I90 merges into I94 right before Billings, the other just west of Butte. One each shortly after entering the states of Idaho and Washington. (Nothing going into Canada.) Coming back, nothing in Washington, one shortly after entering Idaho, (but they did not have "seals" and said Montana would seal the boat. I had to beg for a record of their inspection. My belief being if they are going to take the time to inspect me, and I'm being required to stop, then I want proof of the inspection!), and one on the west side of Montana. That was it. All inspectors friendly and quick in doing their business.

Looks like Washington is now going to charge an invasive species tax, as Idaho has been doing.
https://waggonerguide.com/aquatic-invasive-species-update/?utm_source=Waggoner+News&utm_campaign=32cf2f9ac8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_06_16_02_49_COPY_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ef6b3dfd1a-32cf2f9ac8-120273145

Colby
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what our experience was:

We pulled over in the boat inspection station in Idaho to have our boat checked for zebra mussels and other invasive species. The station was run by a couple very friendly college kids who said the power washer wasn’t working so they couldn’t do anything and besides, since we had just pulled out of the ocean and were going direct to Ohio and putting the boat into storage so the risk to Idaho’s streams and lakes (or anywhere else, for that matter) was 0. We were not inspected by the Idaho station on the way west in May either since the boat hadn’t been in the water for 3 months prior (they believed us).

Montana was a different story. They didn’t even have an inspection station when we headed west. They did inspect the boat and found this.
(pictures of some dead shells no shown but you can see them at https://mightywench.blogspot.com/2016/ down near the bottom of the page)
Stuck in the crack between the hull and the trim tabs.

The boat had spent over 6 months on its trailer inside and then launched in salt water. These suckers were dead. The inspectors at the station, however, couldn’t be trusted to make that call and had to check with their supervisor. This meant that they had to hop in their truck and go see him because, they said, cell phones (and even satellite phones!) didn’t work here. I guess their supervisor couldn’t determine that they were dead so he told them to clean the boat bottom which they attempted to do. Either they didn’t know how to work the washer or it was broken, so they let us go after we promised to power wash the boat when we got home. The supervisor should have been at the station if he didn’t trust his inspectors to make decisions like this. This cost us about an hour and accomplished absolutely nothing.

I don’t think Montana is very serious about attempting to stop the threat to their lakes and streams. If we had just driven past the station, the inspectors couldn’t have even notified anyone so there was no possibility of enforcing any of this. The guy running the program has, from all indications, serious competency and work ethic issues. Political appointee?

In Montana’s defense, I am not sure quarantines work other than slowing the rate of spread a bit, so maybe this was all on purpose to appease some constituents.

---

My problem with all this is that we could, if asked and they were not interested when I tried to tell them, demonstrate (prove) that we had pulled the boat out of salt water in a time frame that showed the boat had not been "plunked" in any fresh water for months. Also, the inspections are a seasonal thing so spreading these varmits around is permitted during certain times of the year.

The second year, the inspectors were more accommodating (the boat did have fresh bottom paint) but some stations were closed or not attended.

John

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well post it here. Maybe you've noticed, maybe not. Not only it's here,
it's going to get much worse (my 6th sense, see below).

It's a sequel of the "post-truth" era where facts, per se, don't matter, only feelings,
emotions and even identity. It's called 'metacognition' (sort of a 6th sense;
thinking - or not - about thinking) where a boat captain 'knows' he's off course
without looking at the GPS, compass or chart plotter, a singer 'knows' they're
slightly off key not noticed by others, a director 'knows' the scene isn't just right, etc.
It's good to have it. Some do, some don't. Those without metacognition
don't 'know' they don't 'know' and no amount of brow beating (or other) with facts
and/or data will change their mind. Rather than admit they don't know and they're
over their heads, they'll BS, make stuff up or, yup, lie. Totally clueless. And this
segment is growing and fast and is everywhere.

It's a human 'invasive species' of our own.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "It's difficult to win an argument with a smart person and
impossible to with a stupid person."

Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic. But shows how gatekeepers work. I entered the country from Europe once with some cured horse meat. At the border I dutifully told them I had the horse meat. They confiscated it because of mad cow disease. Shocked

There is no discussion or logic to be had with these people. Another time, at my office where I was second in command a lady would not let me take a proctored test (long story) because I didn't have two forms of ID and would not let me bring back a document from the house later in the afternoon - I had worked with this women for 10+ years.... (The day I fired her was a personal victory and I don't like letting people go)

Sometimes rules seem to trump logic. I think for some its a power trip or the limited authority they have or are given somehow gives them meaning.

As to arguing with stupid or smart people, I think its less about stupid or smart rather the danger of dogmatic beliefs people have.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know conflict is inevitable and arguing always optional. Since I've almost stopped
arguing and taking things personally, I feel much less like a puppet with another
holding the strings watching me dance around to their words.

Aye.

Aristotle used to say, "The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a
thought without accepting it."
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would do reciprocity with Oregon and Idaho other than shared waters.

colbysmith wrote:
Bringing this thread back to life. On my recent trip out to the PNW and back, all inspections went pretty smooth. Out I90, back I94. Two inspections in Montana going out, 1 just before I90 merges into I94 right before Billings, the other just west of Butte. One each shortly after entering the states of Idaho and Washington. (Nothing going into Canada.) Coming back, nothing in Washington, one shortly after entering Idaho, (but they did not have "seals" and said Montana would seal the boat. I had to beg for a record of their inspection. My belief being if they are going to take the time to inspect me, and I'm being required to stop, then I want proof of the inspection!), and one on the west side of Montana. That was it. All inspectors friendly and quick in doing their business.

Looks like Washington is now going to charge an invasive species tax, as Idaho has been doing.
https://waggonerguide.com/aquatic-invasive-species-update/?utm_source=Waggoner+News&utm_campaign=32cf2f9ac8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_06_16_02_49_COPY_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ef6b3dfd1a-32cf2f9ac8-120273145

Colby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: