The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Trailering and Invasive Species
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Boat Trailering and Invasive Species Reply with quote

Having a trailerable boat is special to me for multiple reasons. To others, it is a mechanism to spread undesirables into pristine marine areas to have invasive species take hold to displace our favored indigenous species of crustaceans, fish, mollusks and plants. Much blame in my area has centered on contamination from incoming foreign vessels. Recreational trailer boaters are also under scrutiny.

Our Great Lakes and tributaries are especially affected. We have Rusty crayfish, Gobys, Snakehead fish, Asian carp, ruffe, zebra and quagga mussels, sea lamprey, white perch as well as numerous invasive plants.

What measures, restrictions or requirements have you encountered in trailering your vessel to destinations that we, as readers and fellow boaters, should be aware of?

Aye.

texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Minnesota, perhaps some other states you can get a fine for towing a boat on a trailer if the drain plug is installed.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oregon there is a fee built into the boat registration tarriff. Boaters with an out of state regristration have to purchase an aquatic invasive species permit. And, you may be subject to inspection as you enter Oregon. More details here: http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/Clean/pages/aisppfaqspage.aspx

Oregon coordinates with Washington for boating on the Columbia River, but you will need a permit on other Oregon waters.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a real issue, and glad to hear the concern about spreading these species. A dry bilge is number one caution. If there are any of the species on the out drive, outboard lower unit, or running gear or even hull, these need to be removed.

Our experiences include visual inspection and inquiry at Lake Powell. If the boat has been in suspect waters, I think in a month--they want to steam the boat. Here are the current states which are suspect:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Ontario, Quebec If the boat was properly drained, dried, and no muscles etc seen over 5 days ago, you are good to go.

"Was your boat and trailer thoroughly washed and allowed to completely dry for at least 5 days since you last launched? You must have removed all dirt, plant and animal material, or grit from the boat. You must have drained and flushed all live wells and bilge areas. The boat must be allowed to dry for at least 5 days."

If not then you have to be Professionally certified.

I have been stopped and pulled aside at Calif. border--and inspected with a mirror under the boat!--never looked in the bilge or bail tank! Go figure.

In Oregon I have had to go thru several inspection stations.

Some states are now requiring an annual inspection and sticker--of course a fee is included.

These things seem to change monthly--so it is best to check the states web sites that you will travel thru.

So far we don't have the problem in Florida--but many inspectors don't realize that.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Idaho an inspection is required, at Lake Powell likewise, Oregon requires at least an inspection. One place people tend to forget is their rode and anchor locker (if they've anchored). I'm told by inspectors that zebra and quagga mussels cannot live in salt water but can seal themselves off for up to a week.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just went through this process when we towed our CD22 from Wisconsin to Blaine, WA. We had the boat in our slip in Sturgeon Bay, WI for about a month. When we pulled the boat out, the Wisconsin DNR had a voluntary "wash down" station with two college kids doing the wash downs. Our CD22 was quite covered in weeds and zebra mussels ( we have a cottage on the shores of Lake Michigan with piles of dead zebra mussels shells lining the shore) - more than normal. They took about 30 minutes washing the boat with hot water.

We took the boat home and did another pressure wash of the top sides and a bit of the bottom. The boat sat in our driveway for 2 weeks before we left. On the way into Montana they had a mandatory boat inspection stop. Pulled in expecting all to be good. Very nice college kid did the inspection and was very excited to find a couple dead zebra mussels (first time they ever saw them on a boat). This prompted him to have to call his boss to see if we would need to leave the boat there and have a second team do an inspection. We explained that we would not put the boat in the water in Montana. The boss instructed him to do another wash down and they nicely said we could leave but to stop in Idaho for another inspection.

On the way to Idaho they called us on the phone to see when we would be at the inspection station. When we arrived they had the college kid plus 3 other "higher level" guys ready to see the problem boat. They spent about 5 minutes inspecting the hull and came back to the truck and asked if we always kept the hull so clean. Gave us the thumbs up and off we went.

Launched the boat in Blaine, WA - the next day the Washington DNR called on the phone wondering if we had launched and where. Told him that Idaho gave us a thumbs up and also now in saltwater and he said have a nice trip.

I was very impressed on the cooperation between the states and glad to see it.

I was certainly embarrassed that we even had a dead zebra mussel on the hull but I also didn't realize that other states did not have our problem. We have trillions of dead zebra mussels shells on the shore lines, just figured this problem was all over (maybe just not as bad). Our problems came from the ocean ships dumping their hull water into our great lakes.

So, next time I will double triple check the bottom before we leave Washington and head to our next destination. I don't care about any fines, I care about other folks waters and certainly don't want to add/start a problem.

Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mussels is the main reason I am going to get another trailer as my trailer has steel tubes for the frame with no way to know what is inside.

I have had the boat in Lake Erie so know I could have mussels in the tubes.

Bill Kelleher

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In May of this year:he National Park Service recently identified 14 adult quagga mussels attached to moored vessels and dock structures at the Wahweap Marina in Lake Powell. None of the adult mussels were close enough together to mate for successful reproduction. All of the mussels were physically removed from the lake. OK if there were 14 in this instance, and 4 on another boat--It makes me think that there is a very good chance of the muscles getting a start at Powell.

Since 2009--there is supposed to be an "inspection"--our experience is that you told the ranger that you boat was OK--and they gave you a certificate to put on the dash of the car--maybe it is different this year?

They certainly are more attuned to boats registered outside of AZ.I January 2007, quagga mussels were discovered at a marina in the Nevada portion of Lake Mead, and two other lakes on the Colorado River, Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu. Hard to think that Powell escaped this long--with other nearby lakes on the river affected.

Wonderful we have some good citizens who do want to prevent the spread of the invasive species. I understand that the various species can cause plugging of water passages both on boats and in power station intakes. (up to an economic loss as up to a billon dollars a year. Those of us with outboard boats are less affected than perhaps inboards are. I noted that in one study that warm summer conditions, quagga mussel veligers (larval stage) survived approximately five days while under cooler autumn conditions they survived 27 days. So I wonder if bait tanks and bilges are properly inspected? They were no on my boat.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water ballasted sail boats and wake boats are a big concern to me. No real way to inspect ballast tanks nor to dry them out. I suspect they would need to be filled with a chemical invasive species killer for an hour or two. I watched a hunter 23.5 go through an inspection station with a clean inspection. No one seemed to know that it was a water ballasted boat, or didn't care.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Do you think that a quick dunk in the lake is enough to allow mussels to establish? The larva will not live in the lack of moisture. Do the tubes drain? Interesting thoughts about a trailer being a vector.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
Water ballasted sail boats and wake boats are a big concern to me. No real way to inspect ballast tanks nor to dry them out. I suspect they would need to be filled with a chemical invasive species killer for an hour or two. I watched a hunter 23.5 go through an inspection station with a clean inspection. No one seemed to know that it was a water ballasted boat, or didn't care.

Harry-

Should we add bass boats which each have several live wells to the list?

Joe. Sad Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Bill,
Do you think that a quick dunk in the lake is enough to allow mussels to establish? The larva will not live in the lack of moisture. Do the tubes drain? Interesting thoughts about a trailer being a vector.
I believe that is a real concern. Lots of places for water to pool in mine. Dunno how long they can make it without immersion.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not Bob, but a couple of blogs I have read where the people drove through western states from the East said that the inspectors were really picky and when they found a couple of dead mussel shells almost went nuts.

Since you can't see all of the inside of the tubes without a camera of some kind I don't want to take the chance and have to come all the way back home to Ohio.

There are a couple of other reasons to change trailers also.

Bill Kelleher

thataway wrote:
Bill,
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf: I'm sure there are lots of boats that have little compartments here and there that can get "contaminated" water in them that are not necessarily on the list of checkpoints at the contam stations. But, ballast tanks on boats are clearly bad actors if not also decontaminated. If you consider just the number of ballasted wake boats that move from water to water, that should be a major decontamination concern. It may be that the owners and decontamination techs have it all figured out so no contamination of "clean" waters occurs. We can only hope.

Yes, if you get contaminated water in your bait well or fish well, then it would be good sportsmanship to make sure that those locations are on your list of decontamination procedures. I'd think that a good draining or emptying at the bad lake after pull out, then a good wipe down with some clorox or the like and then leaving or pinning the doors open during the tow home would be a pretty responsible and good way to deal with them.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out a strange creature someone found off CA near Catalina Island.

If it's invasive, we're all in trouble.

Love to borrow it and put in my bilge for one of those preppy 'inspectors' to find. ('Twisted Evil')

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2013/10/15/2990443/

Aye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: