HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Webasto / Espar Installation Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Webasto / Espar Installation Question Reply with quote

I just got a new Webasto AT 2000 which I'll be installing in the galley cabinet. Obviously I'll be routing the exhaust directly through the side of the boat near the other thru-hulls (sink, head discharge). But I'm having a hard time figuring out where to route the combustion air intake. I don't want it too close to the exhaust or in a location in the cockpit where gas fumes may settle.

Can anyone who's installed a Webasto (or Espar / similar style furnace) tell me where they routed the combustion air intake? My kit comes with a second thru-hull for that. I've searched the threads and viewed install pics and I only see that mentioned once (Anna Leigh routed the intake from near the cockpit shelf). The only thru-hull pics I ever see are of the exhaust. I would have assumed that if people had to drill a 2nd hole through their boat, it would be photographed as much as the exhaust thru-hull. Hopefully people are routing combustion air from outside the cabin....right?

Again, I'm talking about combustion air intake, not cold air intake / return. The cold air return will be pulling from inside the cabin.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tom might have that installed in his 27
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Webasto / Espar Installation Question Reply with quote

I installed an Espar D-2 heater. I did not run a fresh air external air intake. I just let the intake hose pull air from the cabinet where the heater is located. Pictures in the Will-C's photo album. I would assume the concern is about the heater depleting the oxygen in the cabin. I don't sleep with the heater on and usually have a window cracked for fresh air if it is running. The heater is puts out an impressive amount of heat and we often leave the back door open if the camper canvas is in place. It also heats up pretty quickly. Our boat is insulated so it seems to hold heat pretty well. I'm not saying not to run an external combustion intake. I'm just saying we did not and have seen no ill effects but we use common sense when operating the heater.
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

combustion air should be isolated in the combustion chamber. Thus not subject to CO or exhaust gasses. I had a different brand, and much larger heater (45,000 BTU) which took the combustion air concentrically in around the exhaust port--since there was a forced draft--as I believe there is in your heater, there was fresh air brought in around the area where the hot gas exhausted. The nice side effect of this system was that the exhaust air was cooled, and the intake air warmed.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
beermanPDX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dave. Maybe your setup is the common method and why I haven't been able to find any other pictures of intake thru-hulls.

Bob....I wish the Webasto (or Espar D2 for that matter) had the concentric exhaust / intake hose like you mentioned, but unfortunately they don't. If you note the two separate nipples on the bottom of the unit:

I'm thinking of potentially routing the intake somewhere in the side or cockpit wall of the head, above gunwale height.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Here is a picture of the heater installation on Discovery. You can look at all the Espar heater pics in the heater install album, in the Discovery albums. The combustion air intake is the smaller black hose near the center of the pic. The intake runs for a few feet rearward with the wiring bundle, behind the head compartment. The fresh air comes in from the cockpit around the wires.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My combustion fresh air pick up is on the floor behind a cabinet. The reason the instructions demand that the intake originate out side is that the units where designed for trucks. Trucks with the door seals and windows up are rather air tight. Not as tight as a sub but much more so then a boat. There is concern in a truck of depleting the air supply. Not so in a boat like our sea dorys. I run my heater all night with out a problem. a added benefit of using the intake in the cabin of the boat is it drys out the air by sucking out the cabin air and burning then expelling the air out side the boat. We have woke on cold damp mornings and started the heater and you can feel the air getting dryer while it runs. this is why I suggest a Espar heater over a Wallas stove/ heater. Much better solutions to the problem of heating a boat.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I've wondered how that works with "modern" heaters for which the intake comes directly into the burner from outside and then leaves via the burner. I can see where the heater wouldn't add moisture to the cabin air, like a non-vented heater would do; but I wasn't sure how it could actually dry the air (besides as a factor of temperature rising) like a stove that draws outside air into the cabin (not just the burner), and then exhausts it, like my old woodstoves did. So with your stove/method, outside air comes into the boat, then gets into the burner, and is then exhausted? Which model heater do you have and how loud or quiet is it? (I'm "shopping" for a heater-only heater for my boat - will cook with a separate stove - and considering all my options.)

Jean-Marie: Not to hijack your thread, but I think you are getting your info too?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Tom,

I've wondered how that works with "modern" heaters for which the intake comes directly into the burner from outside and then leaves via the burner. I can see where the heater wouldn't add moisture to the cabin air, like a non-vented heater would do; but I wasn't sure how it could actually dry the air (besides as a factor of temperature rising) like a stove that draws outside air into the cabin (not just the burner), and then exhausts it, like my old woodstoves did. So with your stove/method, outside air comes into the boat, then gets into the burner, and is then exhausted? Which model heater do you have and how loud or quiet is it? (I'm "shopping" for a heater-only heater for my boat - will cook with a separate stove - and considering all my options.)

Jean-Marie: Not to hijack your thread, but I think you are getting your info too?

Sunbeam - it doesn't actually dry the air but typically it will reduce the relative humidity (which has the same practical effect). It does this by drawing in outside colder air which (since it is colder) can carry less moisture than the inside air. As this air is warmed by circulation through the heater it will have a lower relative humidity than the cabin air. By using the cabin air in the burner, it get's exhausted and, since the cabin is not air tight, exchanged with the outside air.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at installing one I thought the way Discovery did it was ideal; using the space between the shower and hull to run the intake and having it exit in the cockpit. I thought using the fiberglass shelf as the end point was easiest. Drill a hold at the top and run a little extra hose to make getting it in/out simple. No water would get in and no hole in the boat itself. Just an idea.

I've put it on the back burner for now.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to install one on a 19 in the future. On the 25, that wiring space behind the head is open to the cockpit and cabinet inside the boat. If you just let it draw from the cabinet, any "vacuum" (need for air) created would just be pulling air from openings like that anyway. So running a hose out part way is just wasted unless it goes all the way to the cockpit and eliminates the draw of fresh air from outside to inside through any gaps available. Bringing fresh air into the cabin without the hose may have a drying effect (climate dependent) as Tom mentions and thats good. The only loss would be the cooling from intrusion of that outside air. I think these little heaters can overcome that small amount of cooling easy enough.

Is heat or drying the priority? I think it would be drying for me as it is for Tom. The heat can take a backseat. These are wet boats in the morning.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
beermanPDX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Both drying and heating are reasons for getting the Webasto, but if I had to pick one as most important it would be the drying. I can always put on a heavier coat, but the darn foggy windows are a royal pain as is the general dampness.

Adding to Greg's point about running the hose part way to the wiring space being a wasted effort, it also has the potential to suck in fumes from the fuel fill / vent plumbing that it would end near.

So it seems my valid options are to just let it pull in cabin air or plumb the intake directly to the outside via thru-hull in the cockpit or elsewhere. Given that the first option requires no work...I'll go with that one and just see how it goes.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:

Sunbeam - it doesn't actually dry the air but typically it will reduce the relative humidity (which has the same practical effect). It does this by drawing in outside colder air which (since it is colder) can carry less moisture than the inside air. As this air is warmed by circulation through the heater it will have a lower relative humidity than the cabin air. By using the cabin air in the burner, it get's exhausted and, since the cabin is not air tight, exchanged with the outside air.

But does this happen if one has a direct vent type heater wherein the combustion air is drawn from outside, in through a pipe to the burner, and then exhausted outside through another pipe, but the heated cabin air is never in direct "contact" with it? In other words, with my old wood stove, air came in (through cracks in the house), was heated in the stove, and then was exhausted through the chimney. But with my direct-vent heater, the "in/out" was all within the heater itself, and did not involve "cabin" air...... as I understand it (?). So I always wondered if that would really "dry" (change relative humidity?) in the same way as the old woodstove.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
rogerbum wrote:

But does this happen if one has a direct vent type heater wherein the combustion air is drawn from outside, in through a pipe to the burner, and then exhausted outside through another pipe, but the heated cabin air is never in direct "contact" with it? In other words, with my old wood stove, air came in (through cracks in the house), was heated in the stove, and then was exhausted through the chimney. But with my direct-vent heater, the "in/out" was all within the heater itself, and did not involve "cabin" air...... as I understand it (?). So I always wondered if that would really "dry" (change relative humidity?) in the same way as the old woodstove.

In short, not as much. When the cabin air is heated, the temperature change is not as much as when the outside air is heated. So all other things being equal, the change in relative humidity is much greater. However, in addition to that is the fact that the cabin air is continually getting moisture added to it from the humans within. So by using it as combustion air and exhausting it out of the boat, it generally makes the air drier.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Webasto / Espar Installation Question Reply with quote

I don't think where the combustion air comes from makes much difference other than a threat of lower oxygen if it was a sealed environment. The combustion air gets mixed with fuel ignites and burns creating heat, then the goes out the exhaust via the thru hull. The air intake for actual air to be heated is fan driven and pulls cabin air over the outside of hot heater combustion area and the warm air is exhausted in the cabin. I would think the intake air would have to dry out some after being ducted and fan driven over the outside of the heater's hot combustion area. We have an Espar D-2 and they are noisy but have a rubber mount for the fuel pump to lessen the clicking the fuel pump makes while pumping fuel. The exhaust is what is noisy. It sounds like a little jet engine. They make mufflers for the exhaust but they are said to just change the pitch a little and don't really do much to lessen the overall noise. We have had ours a few years and it has always has performed. They suggest firing them up once a month. I start them on high and shut them off on the high setting to avoid soot or carbon build up. I don't run it a night as it would be on a low setting as our boat is pretty well insulated which reduces the condensation issues and we are plenty warm in the bunk with out the heater. We do not use the boat much in below freezing conditions. It does from our experience make the boat on a 39 degree morning very comfortable in short order.
D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: