The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Slight crack at joint between cockpit floor and bulkhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Slight crack at joint between cockpit floor and bulkhead Reply with quote

All,

I recently noticed a slight crack across almost the entire length of the joint between the cockpit floor and the bulkhead so:

1) Anybody else have a similar problem? My boat's about 4 years old but it definitely gets used. My guess is that this crack is caused predominately by flexing of the cabin relative to the hull as we pound over chop in runs to my fishing spots.

2) How concerned should I be about this? It looks like a good place for water to seep in - especially when the boat is parked slightly down hill towards the bow....

3) Recommended fixes? My first thought was to use a relatively rigid crack filler like gel coat or white epoxy. But at present, I am leaning to something more flexible.. Ideas?

Roger on the SeaDNA

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger:

Find both ends of the crack and stop drill it to dissapate the stress (like we do on aircraft) and stop it from cracking further. Re-glass it would be my recommendation.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilling of the holes may be a very good idea...or, just may give another spot for "spider cracks" to run from if in a corner??

Like Roger, I am thinking this might just be a
"constant moving/pinching/shifting" line area...with ruff water and trailering bumps with the slight flex of the boat.... and my thought would be to use a flexible silicone caulking to keep out the water and mold. Will be interesting to follow this...and see if Jeff or some of the factory folks chime in too...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: