The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wastewater Disposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fairly recent porta potty user (CD22). On Lake Powell it was very convenient to empty it at the floating stations. They even had fresh water to rinse it out.

I am wondering what most people do in other areas. Do you carry the tank into a bathroom somewhere and empty it?

I will be going to the Desolation Sound trip and I know they don't have the porta potty stations. I have also seen signs asking you to not empty porta potty's in the bathroom - what then?

This is not a problem for short trips but when we are going to a new area and will be out for 2 weeks it might be.

Thanks,
Steve
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Powell is a marvelous exception -- floating stations, with convenient drop point and water flush available. Easy, quick, clean.

Our standard technique is after a trip, to spend a night (or more) at a campground (preferably a state park, where the scenary is usually good and sites large). Campgrounds have RV dump stations that have good disposal facilities and easy flush water available. We 'camp' in the boat and have time to scrub her up before the next cruise.

Some states have RV dumps available at highway rest areas or welcome stations, and they could be used en route home.

On extended cruises, we ask at marinas if it is ok to use their toilet facility (with promise to keep it spotless) and we find that when we ask they assume we will be responsible and dispose properly.

We once used the standard pump-out machine, fitted with a 'wand' small enough to insert into the porta-potty orifice, when all else was unavailable -- most stations don't have a 'wand' that fits, we have been told.

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many boat ramps and parks in my area have porta-johns at them. I have always assumed that it was ok to dump in them, (the porta-potties that is) but it might not be accepted practice.
octopotomus

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too were wondering about the portapottie emptying issue. We keep our boat in a marina and were instructed that we couldn't empty in the marina toilets because they were on a septic tank system. They said that we could use the pumpout but would need an "adaptor" of some sort. Would this be the "wand" that was mentioned? If so, does anybody have any idea where to get or how to make one? Could something be attached to the dump spout on the holding tank?

Scott and Teri on <grin>
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you may cringe, it is legal to dump your holding tank or porta potti in open waters in Canada - there are a few "no discharge" areas, but in Juan de Fuca or Georgia Strait, you can just dump it overboard (shoot, Victoria discharges raw sewage for the whole city right into Juan de Fuca) - and frankly, I am not sure what the alternatives would be there, especially if denied permission to use a marina restroom toilet..."Dilution is the solution!" Or of course, you could get a composting marine head Laughing

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Portapotties Reply with quote

We have used potties for years. Asking at many marins will work. Camp grounds and hiway rest areas with trailer dumps or truck stops that cater to RVs have dump stations.

While on the water we look for launch areas with jiffy johns. Many times these places are deserted and you can dump into their facility. On the Erie canal almost all locks have jiffy johns and no one has ever said anything to us. Always clean up any mess you make-leave the john better than you found it.

Note: At 3AM most marinas won't say a thing!

Fred and Pat

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the variety of responses. I had not thought of using an RV dump.

If I were forced to dump overboard I would prefer to use just a bucket and water and not put the chemicals overboard. The first charter boat I rented in the San Jauns the check out included pumping the holding tank overboard out in the channel.

Steve
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to grin when back home on Old Hickory Lake/Cumberland River... We are all very careful with and about this issue....and when up river a bit we went back into Hidden Cove.... and.... there were about 25 cows happily grazing at waters edge.... Kinda made me go hummm.
octopotomus

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it! The item that we need in order to use the standard marine pumpout for our portapotties is called a "Potty Wand." I think that there may be a couple of manufacturers of something similar, but Edson has one for $16 here --> http://www.edsonpumps.com/CoastalData/showprod.cfm?&DID=20&CATID=13&ObjectGroup_ID=28

I think that Edson also has a 10% discount if you order it online.

Scott and Teri on <grin>
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Canadian rules on sewage discharge, including a list of 'no discharge zones'.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/S-9/SOR-91-661/52404.html#rid-52434

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: