The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Winterize fresh water system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halibut taco

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
Photos: Shiroz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Winterize fresh water system Reply with quote

Last winter I blew out all the fresh water lines with an air compressor and then ran RV anti-freeze into all the lines. I'm getting ready to winterize again soon. I was wondering if I really need the antifreeze if I'm blowing all the water out? It took several trips last year for the bad taste of the antifreeze to wash out of the lines. Is the tiny amount of water that might remain after using the compressor something that would cause a problem?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by someone else here once, try vodka for antifreeze. You can have a party to flush the antifreeze out of the system in the spring.

I'm going to try it this year.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
As mentioned by someone else here once, try vodka for antifreeze. You can have a party to flush the antifreeze out of the system in the spring.

Just a note, because that person may have been me and I don't want to steer anybody wrong. The vodka I mentioned was used in a location that did not get extremely cold (I would say something like +15ºF, and even that only very rarely and for a few hours). I think it might not be enough in a super cold place (not familiar with Anchorage). When I lived where it gets down to 40 below, we blew out lines (plus added -100 anti-freeze to engine systems).

I hear you on "the pink stuff" taking awhile to get rid of (it especially seemed to "stick" in water heaters) - that was the reason for the vodka instead.
Mike_J

City/Region: Victoria, BC
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Natural C-lection
Photos: Natural C-lection
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious if anyone else can vouch for the vodka option or another alternative to the pink RV antifreeze. I find it seems to take months to get the taste of the pink stuff out of the system...
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the vodka thing this year. It's already been down to about less than 20°F overnight. We'll see how it works out when spring comes. A gallon of cheap vodka was about $23.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure if you blow the lines out with a good air compressor you are good to go. I've been doing that for a great many years with my RV and boat. Never once have I had an issue. NOW, let me say this. If you have an area where the water lays below the exit hose you may want to winterize.

Vodka, hummmmm a little bit of history for you. I keep my vodka in the freezer at my coast home and it's down to zero degrees. Never once has it frozen. I can't Google it on this pc but check out Mr. Google and see what he has to say. He's a pretty smart guy. Laughing The question about 40 below? Not sure? Crook

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
Mike_J

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to see what I can get cheap vodka for up here in Canada! I have a feeling we may have some extra taxes...
It rarely gets below 0 C here and virtually never below -5 C (23 F)
(http://www.victoriaweather.ca/extreme.php?id=9 or

ssobol wrote:
I'm doing the vodka thing this year. It's already been down to about less than 20°F overnight. We'll see how it works out when spring comes. A gallon of cheap vodka was about $23.

Last edited by Mike_J on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Olives Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

As Charlie and I have joked for years, Vodka works great except the olives get clogged in the pipes. Ha ha!

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this here says the freezing temp for vodka is around -17f...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/a/why-vodka-doesnt-freeze.htm

Mike_J

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out that 1.75 l of vodka (60 oz?) is $55! I have a feeling I will need more than 2 L!
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freezing point of booze is variable based on its proof, so if -17 F isn't enough with 80 proof vodka, go with something stronger.

I don't know what is available in AK, but in Oregon you can get 190 proof everclear for something like 10$ a bottle. Thats 95% alcohol Disgust

We were headed to Oregon last summer, and a good friend asked me to pick up a couple bottles for a project he was working on. I had to ask the lady at the counter for it, they keep it back there out of sight for some reason. I highly doubt any sane person over the legal drinking age would ever put it in their body (maybe go blind?) Seems like that stuff would be the perfect antifreeze. Even deluted 50/50 with with water it would be nearly 100 proof. As a teenager nearly two decades ago, I tried some and have a really great story that goes along with it! Aww to be young and stupid again!

That's what I'd use if it got that damn cold where I live.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Winterize fresh water system Reply with quote

I do not know what the fresh water system and pipework is on a 25, but on my 22, not a problem using the red RV anti-freeze. Has worked fine the last couple of winters and I just did it again yesterday.

Drained the water tank just using the foot pump. Then add 2 or 3 litres of the red RV anti-freeze. Pump through until red comes out of the tap. That's it.
Come Spring, foot pump it out, then add one gallon of fresh water. Foot pump that out (only takes a minute or two) and repeat 2 or 3 more times. Come the first trip in the Spring, fill up tank, it tasted fine to me.

The winter temps are not to severe on Vancouver Island. Maybe drop to minus 5 if we get unlucky. I have a portable heater running on the boat through the winter and keep all the cupboard doors open.

Martin.
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HALIBUT TACO -

Here is a link to how I have handled the water system for my CD25, Sea Angel.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17163&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The third blog in the link is the latest and proven simplest method I still use today. It may be/is more expensive, especially at $5.00/gal, but the time and simplicity is worth it to me. I have access and pay extra for 'city water' and can flush all I need, before and after.

This can be done almost anywhere. I usually do this on a workrack at the marina using shore power, thus allowing my battery charger to do the hard work for me.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net

Last edited by Sea Angel on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lived in the frozen northland and had to winterize our RVs and boats (when we didn't take 'em south for the winter). The best way to eliminate the taste of the pink RV antifreeze is to NOT put any in your fresh water tank or water heater. You can make or buy a water heater by-pass. Disconnect your fresh water tank from the system and draw the pink stuff into the lines with your pump (use the water line TO the pump into a jug of the pink stuff. After you put the pink stuff in the lines, THEN blow out the lines - that will insure that you have RV antifreeze in the low points for any lines instead of water. If you put an empty jug at the low faucet, you can recapture much of the pink stuff.

In the spring, run plenty of fresh water through the lines, with enough bleach to sanitize the lines. More fresh water, then some baking soda dissolved in water to eliminate any antifreeze or beach taste/smell.

The downside of vodka (besides the high price compared to RV antifreeze at a couple bucks a gallon), is the fact you can't tell if there is water left in the lines without drinking a bunch of what comes out of the faucet... and then, you are too s**t-faced to know whether or not you have it properly winterized.

Or, (second choice) keep the boat in heated storage. Or, (first choice) haul the boat south and eliminate the the worry... and the need for layer upon layer of clothes... and the pain of frostbite on your fingertips... or frozen snot on your lip (from a long ago reference here).

Jim

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another downside to the alcohol antifreeze is that alcohol is flammable and burns with a nearly colorless flame.

From Wikipedia - An ethanol-water solution that contains 40% ABV (alcohol by volume) will catch fire if heated to about 26 °C (79 °F) and if an ignition source is applied to it. This is called its flash point. The flash point of pure ethanol is 16.60 °C (61.88 °F), less than average room temperature.

So, once things warm back up sparks from any source (like a pump that wasn't designed to pump flammable liquids or the wallace stove), could set the water/ethanol solution on fire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: