The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bimini and other deck options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Bimini and other deck options Reply with quote

After our first full season with the C-Dory, we understand the value a little better in a full camperback system. I'm not sure we "need" the full system, but I am thinking just the top portion, the bimini, would be ideal for rainy day fishing. Does anyone run just a bimini in that scenario? I hate when the aft deck area starts collecting rainwater.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. I started with just a Bimini on several of the C Dory's--and ended up getting full canvas. Rain will come in thru the sides, if there is any wind. The full camper canvas gives you an extra dry room. You can take off the foul weather gear and put it in the cabin. You can still troll with just the side or back open. So, I have gone with full canvas in all of my boats.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the bimini made a bit oversized and had the zippers placed so later on I could easily add the full canvas.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the bimini on, rainwater STILL gets into my aft deck because rain running off the top of my bimini drain into parts of the aft deck. In other words, my bimini does not cover the entire aft deck such that rainwater coming off the bimini will run into the ocean. For that, I would need a bimini that extends past the aft deck, or perhaps have gutters on the bimini that could direct the rain drainage overboard.

The bimini is still nice in the rain because you can stand and sit under it and stay dry, but it's not keeping the water out of the aft deck. To keep my deck dry I need to add the full canvas (sides and back).

Last edited by johnr on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
With the bimini on, rainwater STILL gets into my aft deck because rain running off the sides of my bimini drain into parts of the aft deck. In other words, my bimini does not cover the entire aft deck such that rainwater coming off the bimini will run into the ocean. For that, I would need a bimini that extends past the aft deck, or perhaps have gutters on the bimini that could direct the rain drainage overboard.

The bimini is still nice in the rain because you can stand and sit under it and stay dry, but it's not keeping the water out of the aft deck.

noted, thank you for bringing that up. If I go with a custom made bimini then two things I think I'll need to consider is:

a. overall height
b. full rain protection. (so oversized bimini probably)
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camperback was the first thing we did when we got the tomcat, I consider it essential in the northwest and makes the living space much bigger. Worth every penny.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That custom cantilever design where there is no rear poles appeals to me alot more.

The standard camper back looks really nice to have, but I am worried it would really effect my fishing. How do you deal with a big fish spooling your reel and going under the boat? Normally I'd just switch sides but don't those poles for the canvas really get in the way? I guess I just don't have any experience.

We were in Panama and hired some panga type boats with similar tops to the camper backs. It was really nice to be out of the blazing sun and rain(sometimes at the same time!) until we got into the fish. At that point the top bows really became a PITA.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bimini can be made so that it folds down completely out of the way. Sea Pelican had this feature when I owned the boat. My Caracal center console also has the feature which allows the Bimini to be folded completely out of the way when fishing.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bimini can be made so that it folds down completely out of the way. Sea Pelican had this feature when I owned the boat. My Caracal center console also has the feature which allows the Bimini to be folded completely out of the way when fishing.

A good canvas maker should be able to make a full camper back with the cantilever system, which could be the best of both worlds.
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of our camper back. It extends to the back of the motor well which is great for getting into the rear hatches. We can also store gear in the well. The camper back doubles our living space. Since this pic was taken I added zippers and a role-up door on each side panel. We also added a zipper on the top starboard side next to the cabin roof. The top zipper enables you to zip the top back 16 inches and clip it back so you do not need to duck down while going in or out of the cockpit. We leave the top up and the port panel on most all the time then at night hang the rear and starboard panel. We also have a full privacy curtain that can be hung with clips.

DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your camperback systems get wet, do you remove them from the boat and set them up in the garage or something to dry later? I'm assuming they dont get rolled up and packed away wet on the boat. (or do they?)

i'm thinking of when I'm deer hunting and my camping gear gets soaked every year... I tend to come home and lay it out in the garage a few days to dry before packing it away.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana Kev wrote:
Here is a picture of our camper back. It extends to the back of the motor well which is great for getting into the rear hatches.

The camper back extending aft like that appeals to me. Could I ask you a couple of questions?

First I was wondering what the after/lower edge is attached to, and how. Second, what happens if/when you want to tilt up the main engine - does it tilt up just fine as-is? Or is there an adjustment you make?

Thanks,
Sunbeam

(My boat came with a bimini, but no camperback (yet).)
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana Kev wrote:
Here is a picture of our camper back. It extends to the back of the motor well which is great for getting into the rear hatches.

The camper back extending aft like that appeals to me. Could I ask you a couple of questions?

First I was wondering what the after/lower edge is attached to, and how. Second, what happens if/when you want to tilt up the main engine - does it tilt up just fine as-is? Or is there an adjustment you make?

Thanks,
Sunbeam

(My boat came with a bimini, but no camperback (yet).)
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunbeam,

The bottom of the back panel is the clear material, I did this so I could see the motor or if towing the kayak. It can be snapped at the bottom. The motor can be tilted but not let all the way up with everything zipped but the panel could be modified to let the motor up. We bought the boat 2nd hand and it came with the Bimini and side panels, I made the rear panel and installed the roll-up side doors. We store the boat with a slant back cover and only set-up the bimini when we are on board. In the photo you can see how the bimini stores with the slant back cover in place.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin: Thanks for the detail. Good looking pair of boats Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: