The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Leaving for Canadian Waters shortly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Leaving for Canadian Waters shortly Reply with quote

I will be leaving Guemes Is. on early Sunday the 19th. Check in at S. Pender and then heading over to Thetis Island for the first night. From there up to Comox. Picking up a friend who is flying in by float plane. Then across to Princess Louisa Inlet and Chatterbox Falls. Returning down the mainland side returning on Sunday the 26th.

Kate will be home with her double guage guarding the empty boat garage.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51

Last edited by Alyssa Jean on Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- Have a great trip and take plenty of photos to share when you return! Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- Havew a great trip and take plenty of photos to share when you return! Joe.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon Voyage, David -- should be a good "test run" for the new Anna Leigh. Have a great time. El and Bill
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back a few weeks ago and I want to go again. Have fun. Try Smugglers cove on the west side for a stopping point on the way back.
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Sunday morning, weather is gorgeous, put the boat on the buoy at high tide last night all loaded and ready to go. Will be leaving after breakfast in an hour or so. Have the laptop and a wireless card. Will see if I can check in to the site if I find any wireless systems to piggy-back on. Camera has the new 512 MB chip in it with about a 500 picture capacity.

Kate has the shotgun by the door
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Hope the weather continues to co-operate for the balance of your trip. It will be great no matter what. I wish Meander was ready to go so that we could meet up with you for an afternoon or so. Maybe next time.
Have a great cruise and welcome to Canada!
Ron
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Hope the weather continues to co-operate for the balance of your trip. It will be great no matter what. I wish Meander was ready to go so that we could meet up with you for an afternoon or so. Maybe next time.
Have a great cruise and welcome to Canada!
Ron
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into David in Rosario Straits this morning. He was all loaded up with a big smile on his face. If the weather keeps up it should be a glorious trip.
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just returned from the trip. Had a great time and saw some incredible areas. Total trip was 31.6 EHRS. 147 gals of gas which equates to 4.65 gal/hr. overall. 90% of the time I was at 4200 RPMS in the range of 14-17 MPH depending on current and wind. Gas in BC is in the range of $1.05-$1.09/L Canadian. Divide L by 3.785 to convert to US gal.

Sun. Left Guemes and after a quick hello to Fred on Anita Marie headed to S. Pender Is. to clear customes, Then west to Thetis Island where I anchored for the evening at about 1345.

Mon. Left Telegraph Harbor at 0830 and arriving in Nanimo at 1015. Docked at Newcastle Island for several hours and took the ferry across to Nanimo. Picked up a few groceries and back to the boat and headed north up the east coast ov Vancouver Is. arriving in French Creek Marina at 1615. French Creek Marina a primarily a fishing marina but then try to accomodate pleasure boaters as best they can.

Tues. Left FCM at 0545 and arrived at Comox at 0830. Got a dock space and walked around town. Total engine hours traveled at 12.9.

Wed. Friend Jim was to arrive by float plane from Seattle at 1100. The plane dock had been removed and no one had told the airline so after a couple of phone calls we decided that the plane would land outside the marina and I would anchor off the plane and dingy my passenger. Worked fine and now I had company. Had lunch , more groceries, topped of the gas tank and we left at 1345 to head east across the Georgia Straite. Calm water and little wind made for a nice easy crossing heading over the north end of Texada Is. and down to the entrances to get to Jervis Inlet at 1630. From there it is about 35 miles to Malibu Rapids. Made that at 1845. Mailbu Rapids for a C-Dory is really a non issue as far as I can see. Tide was going out and we just skimmed over it and into the last 5 miles or so to Chatterbox Falls. Got the last space at the dock closest to the falls and put our stern towards the show. Engine hrs at 54.1.

The dock here is about 200 feet long and has water to it piped from a stream. Boiling is recommended. Absolutly gorgeous spot with the shear rock mountains and the main falls. There had been 6 inches of rain the day before so the falls was really putting on a show. As well as dozens and dozens of other smaller falls. Lost GPS sattelites while at the dock. It is literally straight up out of there.

Thurs. Just hung out and read. Looked at the beauty and rowed around in the dingy.

Fri. Left at 0630 along with about 6 other boats to make the slack high tide at 0700. I was more interested in leaving on an out going tide for mileage than anything else. Arrived at Jervis Inlet at 0900 and then headed south out to Pender Harbor arriving at 1015. EHRS 57.5. PH is a nice stopping off place with many marinas and easy to get into. Topped of the gas there and then headed to Montaque Harbor on Galiano Island. Docked at the gov docks at 1545. EHRS 62.2. Took the free bus up to the Hummingbird Inn and Pub for a sundowner and appetizer and then back to the boat for dinner.

Sat. Left Monteque Hrbr. at 0915 entering back into US waters at 1015. Got into a school of dolphins of the N end of Stewart Is. Into Roche Harbor at 1100 to clear customs. Haven't a clue why but they won't allow citrus fruit from BC into the US. No beef either. Had lunch and decided to travel down the west side of San Juan Island in search of any Orca pods. Found one about and hour later off Iceburg Point of Lopez Is. about a mile out. Much fun watching them. Then across Rosario Starit and into Guemes Channel and home. Arriving at 1500. EHRS 66.4.

Boat and engine handled perfectly. Had 2 5 gal extra gas and 2 5 gal of water. Honda 2000 gen and dingy on top.

Looking forward to the Desolation trip.

Last edited by Alyssa Jean on Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-

Thanks for the story! Sounds like you guys had a great time! The Desolation Sound Trip should be a piece of cake after this one, assuming similar water conditions. Wish I were closer to you folks to make it less of a traveling ordeal.

Oh, and thanks also for the unintended humor due to the slight typographical error...

"Looking forward to the Desolution trip."

Does this mean Kate isn't going with you next time? I sometimes think of desolution as a marriage solver at times, but reject it out of cost considerations. Sad Joe
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like one heck of a great trip. When I saw you last Sunday you sure had a pretty big grin on your face. Now I know why.
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted some of the pictures in my album.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... sounds like a must do trip. Look forward to seeing you at Blakely.
Byrdman
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman, I won't be at Blakely unfortunately. Will be in, gulp, SD, at a family reunion on my wifes side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: