The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question about bunks vs. chine "hook" and movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Just cross your tie downs . port eye to stb trailer and vice versa . It wont move .
Marc

I don't have the U-bolts (yet), but .... would one be able to do that and not foul the engines (or rather the engines foul the lines)? We used to do that with kayak and canoe bows and sterns to the front and rear bumpers (erm... back when cars had those).

Actually, even without interference from the engines I don't think that would work for me as my trailer frame does not extend aft past the boat.

I made a nice trailer-tie down bar for a Whitehall type rowing boat that consisted of a solid (wooden) bar that went across the boat and locked into the oarlocks port and starboard. The ends continued on and extended about 6" past the boat and that's where the tie down lines originated. It was great as it not only held the boat firmly down; but both lines went on an inward angle (so no parallelogram could happen), and neither of them even touched the topsides. Win/win. So far my ideas for something similar on the C-Dory haven't resulted in a fair lead though.

It's great to hear all of your ideas though, and even if a particular one doesn't work for me they may work for other setups.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Maybe you're looking for something like this ..... It's a Pacific brand trailer.....

....split in these bunks is to facilitate sling launching.

......the outer edge of the outer bunks but reasonably tight to the chine......

Nice. That is what I'm talking about. Except, to my eye, another "split" in the bunks forward might be nice for the second strap if proper with the balance point aft.

Crossing stern tie downs is a good idea, if it can be done cleanly, to help prevent side-to-side wobble. Short vertical tie downs keep the craft down on the trailer.

Aye.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the bunk trailer, which I added two more bunks for a total of 4. I trailer a lot and have noticed very little boat movement. What I do notice is the boat usually centering itself if I didn't when loading. I also use a single strap over the back. I think if the trailer, axle and wheels are properly set up and balanced, you shouldn't be getting much boat movement. I also have the single posts, but do like the idea of side boards, even though I've never used them. I agree with Chris's earlier post about proper retrieval of the boat, ie position of bunk trailer in the water. I try to back it in just till where the forward tips of the bunks get wet. But I realize steepness of the ramp will effect how the aft end of the boat lays on the trailer as you pull out. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, you just are not driving on rough enough roads! For example the Grapevine on I 5 or I 12 thru Louisiana, and then I found some up in Wi and MI this last summer....
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm on plenty enough rough roads! Sad Those are the ones that center the boat. Wink
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have pics but will try to better describe what I did to ensure centering when loading the boat. I bolted 2"x6"x8"Trex board vertically on the trailer cross member channel, aft of the axle, on each side of the trailer against the frame channel. I cut the Trex material to match the angle of the hull side. I lined the edge of the Trex with indoor/ outdoor carpet, attached with 5200. This was to prevent chaffing where contact is made with the hull. Each piece of Trex was mounted with two stainless bolts. What this set up does is capture the hull as the trailer raises to meet the hull. The boat is centered by the time the hull makes contact with the bunk boards and stays that way when traveling. There is about 1/4" play on each side so it is not. Tight fit causing chaffing. Hope this helps. Will try to send pics when home next. Ken
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
Thanks for the additional description. I would still like to see photos, so if you do get a chance it would be appreciated - but no rush.

After reading everyone's posts and looking over my trailer a bit more, plus photos of others' setups from the albums, I've come to the conclusion that I think I will try to move the two outer bunks (these are the short ones) outward a bit so they are closer to the chine "hooks." I'm talking maybe 3" per side, which would not be a tight fit, but wouldn't let the boat "walk."

It's not a high priority, because the boat trailers fine, but I think it would probably be a slight improvement.

Looking under the trailer, I think I can also see why it was not set up this way to begin with, which is that their "standard" 9" bunk supports were used, and I'm pretty sure that on each side (of the 10 total) would have run out of height adjustment if the bunks had been placed 3" further outboard. However, I've found that I can get the same OEM supports in a 12" length for around $8 each, and it happens to be from a place that has something else I've been meaning to order but didn't want to order just one thing.

Since everything works now, and I'm not sure of the dynamics of changing it (with all the various factors it's hard to be sure until I actually try it), I'll be sure to mark where everything is now before changing anything, so that I can always put it all back the way it is. After that, I think with minimal disturbance I can play with a couple of the bunk supports to try my idea. This will be over the winter at the soonest, though -- but if/when I do try it it I'll report back.

Thanks for all the input,

Sunbeam
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back up.

The OP was trying to keep the boat from moving side to side on the trailer when traveling. There is one mention of cross tying. That is really the best way to do it without having something against the hull that will chafe at some point.

Also mentioned is that the shorter the tie down the less stretch. Yes. So for most of my towing, 3 miles to the marina I use the short vertical tie downs pictured. For long distances, I use those plus I cross tie, from the starboard tow ring on the boat to the port side trailer loop and from the portside on the boat to the starboard on the trailer.

Any boat (or load) that can move when traveling is technically an "unsecured" load and could subject the driver to a fine at best or a broken strap and a dumped boat at worst.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Just cross your tie downs . port eye to stb trailer and vice versa . It wont move .
Marc

This. If you can. Some boats have stuff in the way.

You don't want guides to hold your boat in place, that's for getting it lined up as you approach to load your boat from the water to the trailer. Don't tie your boat to the guides if you do.

Your boat should not shift side to side. You should implement some adequate tie down to stop this. I would not rely upon the chines, or bunks being tight to chines to hold it side to side. If it can slide, it can hop off.

Transom eyes are the best thing to attach to on the boat. If you don't have any (mine doesn't) maybe get some installed. Resist strapping to your cleats. Going over the gunnels is the next best, but you must must must use an adequate strap that is probably going to be thicker and more expensive than you'd like. Many straps of this grade have loops behind the hooks for going around things like trailer rails and fastening back to themselves. Protect your gunnels from chafe with padding.

But I agree that your issue is straps, not bunks position so much, and not guide rails.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my trailer the fenders over the wheels act as side guides. The inside of the fender is closed and lined. There is about 2 inches total clearance between the hull and the fenders. This works really well. The only issue is that sometimes on steep ramps the boat can come out of the water sitting on the top of one of the fenders. Just have to dip it once or twice to get the boat to sit right and pull out more slowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: