Ya'll Got us!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnd

City/Region: DEMING
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NOTAYOT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Ya'll Got us! Reply with quote

I have been visiting the C-brat site for over a year...I like the group very much and all the info. The support and information of this group is obviously priceless.

I saw "Notayot" (C-dory 22 Cruiser) come up for sale in the early spring.. The boat was exactly what I was looking for, model, color, etc.. I pondered too long and it was gone! As fate would have it, the couple that bought the boat had a sudden change in plans and only put 5 hours on the boat before putting it back on the market 5 months later.

The original owners via E.Q. Harbor sales ordered and outfitted the boat very well. The boat has been kept up in absolutely super condition and is really better than new! The original owners deserve much credit for outstanding pride of ownership..THANKS! We just could not afford a new boat, and this suits our needs and pride of ownership..

Most of my boating experience is with runabouts and sailboats. I just smile thinking about actually being able to be warm while boating! I hope we can master the Wobesco(sp?) heater.. How do you make and keep coffee warm underway with it? (hold-contain pot?)

My gal and I, both 71, will be launching out of The Port of Bellingham launches at Bellingham and Blain.. Maybe some other places recommended by the C-brats.

We will primarily be out for day ventures, but the idea of being able to hole up in a blow is a big plus..

suggestions for day trips and activities out of Bellingham would be most appreciated.. I have grandkids 2 to 6 years old to take too..

I have ordered a Tohatsu 9.9 EFI with remote controls, electric start and power tilt based on the recommendation of Kathy at E.Q. Harbor. My question is regarding the prop , this model comes with a high thrust 4 blade propeller.. The rest of the Tohatsu 9.9 models come with a regular 3 blade prop. I think the only difference is the prop, no gearing change. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations about the mounting (Starboard side with Bennet trim tabs that are 10" wide by 11" long) and prop choice with this outboard? I sure would appreciate your sharing
your wisdom with us.

Also, Is it worth setting up to fish anymore in the San Jaun's? This boat has not been set up for downriggers or a pot puller. I am thinking Ace line puller and scotty 1106 downriggers. I have not been fishing for over 30 years and things have changed a great deal? Are there even any crabs left?

Advice for setting up a C-dory 22 for fishing the San Jaun's would be most appreciated.

Thanks for everything..

johnd

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations and Welcome aboard!

Go with the 4 blade prop. Get a heavy duty articulating bracket it will give enough set back for the trim tabs. What shaft length did u get?

Go with the fishing accessories. Still plenty of fish and crabs, but seasons may be limited.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, John. That's really exciting news about your new boat, and I know you and your wife and the grandkids will make many wonderful memories. From Bellingham or Blaine you have the entire San Juan group at your fingertips--if the weather cooperates. If not, consider overnighting, as these are comfortable vessels. But take a run to Sucia, Stuart, Cypress, Jones, James, and other islands for starters. And Friday Harbor is always fun. Keep in mind that the off-season has begun, meaning among other things that some state park docks will be towed away and stored until spring. Some of my favorite cruises have been in the fall.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! You're gonna love it. You might end up doing more overnighters than you plan to. Its can seem like a long run out to western portion of the islands, it's nice to spread it out over a weekend and explore and not have to stress about running back. Many times its windier and rougher running back in the afternoon and glassy and smooth the next morning Wink

We fished, crabbed and did a lot of shrimping in the san juans. Scotty 1106s are great, and should suit you just find. There's nicer more expensive options like Cannon digi-trolls but its not necessary. Also, braided downrigger line was a lot better than wire cable IMO. Lost too many downrigger balls and cut my hands up on wire cable. There's still crabs but there's a lot of tribal and commercial pressure, especially in the eastern san juans. We had the Ace puller, and it worked well for crabbing. If you don't plan to shrimp, the ace will be a fine pick. If you plan to get into spot shrimp, get a puller that's more substantial like a safe-T puller or go big and get a 5 hp Honda and davit. That's what we ended up with and we could pull 400' of weighted line and a 40 lb shrimp pot in 2 minutes. The ace was too slow and gutless, and the majority of the shrimp would escape the pot as the ace struggled to get the pots up.

We've moved away and that's the only thing about Washington I ever miss.

BuildItOnce

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Puzzle Piece
Photos: Puzzle Piece
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ya'll Got us! Reply with quote

johnd wrote:
Also, Is it worth setting up to fish anymore in the San Jaun's? This boat has not been set up for downriggers or a pot puller. I am thinking Ace line puller and scotty 1106 downriggers. I have not been fishing for over 30 years and things have changed a great deal? Are there even any crabs left?
johnd

Congrats johnd! Welcome to the club... I'm also a recent member Smile

I haven't fished the San Juan's, but I have friends that are hardcore fishing folk and they did a record year this year with the number of king salmon they pulled in. They start fishing in the San Juan's at the opener and follow the fish around until it closes.

I've only crabbed in the Kingston, Everett and Hood Canal areas, but plan to expand a bit now that we have a C-Dory.... there are still plenty of crab out there!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congratulations. Hope to see you out on the water somewhere down the line. Cathy and crew at EQ will treat you right, and know what they are doing.

Enjoy that boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: