City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
It may be time for it to go and a replacement with access for an MP3 or USB input may be the ticket.

Sorry, Didn't mean to hyjack here. Guess I just like lots of different kinds of music and it has to fit the mood. Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thats a winter goal for me. there are some inexpensive "kits" online. new marine deck, cd player, mp3 player etc with marine grade speakers for under $200. I can't decide if its worth the risk on something inexpensive like that or if its better to just go with a trusted 'name'.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since this thread came out. I'm listening to SeaWolf Joes favorite, Victory at Sea. Great music. BTW Joe, That has been on for nearly an hour now, and it seems like it is streaming but I'm not getting any WW2 connection. Cool music though.

I never got around to replacing my stereo on the boat, or doing any MP3. Depending on where I am and the conditions and traffic, I will still usually just have the VHF's on, BUT there are times.

On my summer cruising in the less trafficked and calm water of the northern Vancouver Island I found time to listen and enjoy some great music. My routine was to be up early and travel slow, quiet and close to shore watching for wildlife. Great time to have good music.

One of the fun finds of the season was Cap'n Charlie. This wandering marine minstrel had been to all the marinas, singing and playing and had even left some CD's here and there. The first one I ran across was at Port Harvey, and I was looking for something to take home from there that I would enjoy. Being a bit leery about buying unheard music, I was asking about it and one of the ladies at the store said they had purchased it and liked it and invited me to come and take a listen. The first song was "Cruise Away" and I was hooked. The spirit of PNW boating is wrapped in a warm folksy style,,.. with heart and energy. (No I don't get a commission here,) but that music was fun and meaningful. I liked it so much I went back and got a second CD at Port Harvey, and then another at Lagoon Cove.

Songs like Sunday Sun, Son of a Son of a Sailor, and Light on the Water keep me coming back to this music many times since I'm back on land. A favorite, "One Particular Harbor" is one of my favorite brainworms. ( And it has some foreign language phrase I am curious to know the origin of.)

Turns out Cap'n Charlie is a member of the Tacoma Yacht Club, and after being a sailor most of his life has seen the light of the dark side, singing "I'm a Sailor with a Power Boat"

Check out his web site and music here.:

http://www.capncharlie.com/music.html

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love "Victory at sea"--you have to have seen, or see the movie (TV) series which went with it--the ships going thru the water to get the full appreciation.

We stick with Sirius, small head, which can go to the home, with a "boom box" type of unit which the head fits into (head about the same size as cassette tape, with remote control). On the boat, we either put it into the built in stereo system, if we are running the engine, but most of the time, it feeds a small JawBone speaker setup, which has good enough sound for old ears, recharges/runs off the micro USB type of charging cable (12 volts). Whole set up uses less than 2 amps--less when the battery in Jaw Bone is charged. The radio is on one of several music gandras--Jazz, "Escape", Watercolor, or Symphony. (Occasional Buffett etc). That way no CD's are carried, but we do have an I pod with over 60 hours of music if we feel the need for specific songs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
It has been a while since this thread came out. I'm listening to SeaWolf Joes favorite, Victory at Sea. Great music. BTW Joe, That has been on for nearly an hour now, and it seems like it is streaming but I'm not getting any WW2 connection. Cool music though.

SleepyCMoon

Harvey-

Here's the story of the TV Servies Victory at Sea, whch I absolutely loved watching as a 10 to 12 year old kid in 1952-1954.

Richard Rogers of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Broadway show team composed the music for the show. Full story here:

Maybe you can find some of the episodes somewhere to view with the full narrative story and films. Wonderful!!!

Enjoy! Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boatload of Xmas music

Amazon offers downloads of Various Artists' Big Christmas Box MP3 Album for 99 cents. That's a $276 savings, as each song on its own costs 99 cents. It includes 280 tracks and features such Christmas classics as Jingle Bells, Silent Night, and In Julci Jubilo.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2KV7XW?tag=dealnewscom

BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Play offers downloads of Brad Paisley's Moonshine in the Trunk (Google Play Special Edition) MP3 Album for free. That's the lowest price we could find for this 16-track MP3 by $7.
https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Brad_Paisley_Moonshine_in_the_Trunk_Google_Play_Sp?id=Bi22v6t36br6zeq2aqle5bdy7ba
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft offers downloads of The Nightmare Before Christmas: Original Soundtrack (Special Edition) MP3 Album for free. (Click "Free" to get this album. You will need to log in to or create a Microsoft account to download it.) That's the lowest price we could find by $8. This special edition soundtrack features 29 tracks.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/music/album/various-artists/nightmare-before-christmas-original-soundtrack-special-edition/8d6kgx5cqwpg
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbonamassa.com offers downloads of a Joe Bonamassa 11-track album for free. (It will be emailed to you.) It features songs from throughout his career.
http://jbonamassa.com/free-bonamassa-album/?id=newyork
Plus, it also offers three bonus live acoustic tracks for free.
http://jbonamassa.com/features/2015/rcmh-3-free-songs/?id=epiphone
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Quartets-VoxMegaBox-Edition/dp/B00YRDOGKQ?tag=dealnewscom

Amazon offers downloads of the Haydn: Complete String Quartets (The VoxMegaBox Edition) MP3 Album for $2.99. That's the lowest price we could find by $7. This download features over 23 hours of classical music.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire Victory at Sea Videos are available on U Tube (26 episodes)--many hours of watching--and it is what we saw back in the 50's on our TV's--about the same resolution! Well worth while if you are interested in the History of WWII. My grandchildren should watch this!

I am a few years older than Joe--but we didn't have a TV set at home--so I had to see some of these as re-runs, when I was in college (one TV in the Frat living room). There was a condensation of the series released as a movie.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on Victory at Sea. I do believe that I have seen some of those, maybe as reruns too. We didn't have a TV at home when I was that young, but later on. Had friends that did. Watched Sea Hunt and Whirlybirds and the Silent Service there.

Thanks for the info on the play devices.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BrentB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Grateful Dead offers 30 Grateful Dead MP3 Songs for free during its 30 Days of Dead. (You can only download one track per day in November.) That's tied with our mention from last year and the best deal we could find for these tracks. Deal ends November 30.

http://www.dead.net/30daysofdead
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like victory at sea, Spotify will allow you to down load a wide range of music to your smart phone. I then play it on portable small Bose speaker great sound.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Two kinds of music Reply with quote

I got this from Ray Charles, there are only two kinds of music, "Good and Bad". Pandora is an excellent format if you will experiment with it. The Pandora pgm was written in this fashion, every song that is loaded into the system has a list of attributes, vocals, no vovals, strong gutiar, no gutiar etc. The more obscure the artist the better I think, I dont care to much for main stream music, how ever if you do, its there for sure.
Dr. Bob is totally right again on systems, the Jaw Bone is excellent, it runs on its own internal battrie which has a long run, you can place it any where, the "Hot Spot" is definatly at the further most point in the V berth. The Bass responce really comes to life due to the physics of the cabin below.
Now this part will spin out all of my Sea Brat friends. I use ear buds while I'm underway, meaning on plane, out in the open. They are called Etymotic, it is a hearing aid company.
I found these ear buds for my motor cycle because they reject external noise, putting them on is like putting hearing protection for a gun range. I've been using these for about 6 yrs now. The first pair cost $150, after 2 yrs of contionus use I broke them, I sent them back to the factory in the US and they repaired and retrurned them in one week. I asked about their $300 model and said I'd like to try them but I cant spend $300 with out trying them. They said no problem we'll give you 30 days. Well I jumped on that, they are professional studio monitors. I was a career recording engineer so just thought I'd let you know this is my topic.
If you feel this is not safe thats fine , I'm sure we would not agree on a number of things of this nature. I'm a rebel with a cause and I'm enjoying myself.
Oh and just for the Hell of it, some of the cuts from the 1982 German film "Das Boot" kick ass on a choppy day.

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates here?

Capn Charlie has a new CD out, "So Many Islands" Can't wait.

http://www.capncharlie.com

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: