The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) plug trips....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) plug trips.... Reply with quote

For all you electrical & wiring geniuses....

Our 25 has shore power. Power goes to a circuit breaker board and our two factory installed 110v outlets have a dedicated breaker.

From the factory it was wired:
-from breaker to a GFCI (under the dinette)
-from the GFCI, to a plug behind the pilot seat (long run)

All this appears to be 12 gauge three wire tin.

I have since installed another plug from the GFCI into the "closet" to power our microwave; short run of about 6'. This run is done with 10 gauge, marine approved tin wiring. Upon testing w/ our genset here is what happened.

-GFCI works fine
-new plug I installed works fine
-when I place a load on the plug behind the pilot's seat, the GFCI tips.

WHY? Confused

I have re-checked all wiring; all looks fine. I have unplugged the micro, then tried the pilot-seat plug; same outcome.

As usual, mahalo for any/all input. We electrically challenged appreciate it.....[/u][/i]

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure with your wiring--but if you are using the Honda EU 1000/2000 series, they basically float the neutral (not tie neutral to ground)--and that can cause what appears to be a "weak" reverse polarity. Also may trip GFCI if the neutral and ground are tied to gather in the boat.

Is the plug correctly wired? (hot and neutral reversed?)--that could trip the GFCI if on the generator.

I assume that all works OK on shore power?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completeness: in Journey On, there is a galvanic isolator for the green wire before the AC breaker panel. There's also an outlet for the refrigerator hidden in behind the fridge. Yes, that's wired through the Refrigerator switch.

Since you're going through the GFCI receptacle, sounds like you have the power and return wires mixed up, when you installed the additional receptacle. When you tried your new outlet, when there was no current through the outlet, there was no problem. And when you tried the microwave, bingo the current inbalance tripped the GFCI.

Note that on a GFCI, there are IN (Line) and OUT (Load) connections for the power (black) and return (white) wires. That's so the GFCI can compare the power and return currents and if they're not equal, shut the device down. You've got to make sure that the load to the microwave is on the load terminals, same as the load to the helm outlet.

On the GFCI at which I'm looking, there are 5 terminals. Ignoring the green, there is a LOAD end and a LINE end, as well as a WHITE side and a HOT side, 4 terminals total.. So the Black wire from the main breaker goes to the HOT side, LINE end and the White wire to the Shore Power plug goes to the WHITE side, LINE end. The other end goes to any downstream receptacle.

Then check the wiring on the new receptacle, to make sure the power (black) is to the brass/dark terminal on the new receptacle and the return (white) is to the shiny/silver terminal. Green to green. This shouldn't make any difference, just for completeness sake.

Those GFCI devices are a PITA. If it doesn't work after you've checked the wiring, try replacing it. They're cheap.

Actually the lead on the Honda is connected to the generator chassis, and the chassis is floating, in general. Certainly if it's setting on the cockpit floor. Since the GFCI checks the difference in the power current flow, it's irrelevant.

Boris

Last edited by journey on on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
localboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll double check tomorrow. Weird thing is, I did not touch the factory outlet behind the pilot's chair, yet it is the one throwing the GF outlet. Confused

Oh, and it does the same thing on shore power. I have a dedicated 30 amp "RV" outlet outside.
journey on

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I thought that the new one went. What load did you put on the helm outlet?

If everything checks OK, try a new GFCI.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the GFCI behind the by the pilot's chair was mis-wired?
Did the GCFI cut off prior to the time you installed the new plug?
Is the GCFI properly wired (with the wire out to the plug behind the pilot chair and the microwave both taken off the same terminals from the GCFI?

Boris, I pulled the circuit for the Honda EU 2000i, and the "ground" on the honda does not connect with the neutral of the output of the inverter. (as it would in a home circuit) Thus the neutral floats--the ground is to the frame of the engine, the frame of entire unit, the alternator block and the inverter block. These "generators" have a engine run alternator, which goes to an inverter to produce 110 V AC. There is a separate "ground--which on the schematic goes to the "Frame ground" This also goes to the green wire of the 110 v plug, thru the frame. Our normal household circuits have the ground and neutral tied together--not true on the Honda EU series. It may be that we are saying the same thing.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy,
Make sure the the plugs, which I assume you mean u-ground receptacles, are wired in parallel from the "load" side of the GFCI. Make sure that the ground wire on both receptacles is not touching the neutral terminal on the receptacle. GFCI work on the principle that the current in the hot matches the current in the neutral. Any parallel connections or 'touches' of the neutral and the ground will trip the upstream GFCI.
journey on

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completeness sake, here's some comments on the C-Dory outlets.

First, in Journey On the GFCI receptacle is next to the AC panel, under the table. The receptacle up by the helm seat is a normal one. This makes sense since all the current has to pass through the GFCI receptacle in order to have protection. Having the GFCI next to the supply panel minimizes the wire run.

Next, it makes no difference if the downstream receptacles are wired in parallel or series, as long as all the circuits are terminated at the GFCI. Again the rationale for this is that all currents have to pass through the GFCI, which measure the total current and doesn't care how it's routed. If the currents aren't equal, the GFCI assumes there's a return fault and disconnects the power.

So, if either downstream receptacles trip the GFCI, it's a real fault in the load (whatever's plugged in) where the return is shorted to ground. Try another load. If the load is OK then it's either the wiring or a problem with the GFCI.

Or something else.

Good luck and let us know what happens, so we can all learn.

Boris
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
I respectfully disagree. If you wire in series, you will drop 120 volts across two or more different loads. Also all receptacles would have to see a load for the circuit to work. I suspect you are confusing daisy chaining with parallel. All outlets, plugs, or receptacles, must be wired in parallel in order to work properly and provide the rated voltage. There are of course exceptions, but nothing you would ever run into in normal applications.
Forrest
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna have to wait for later. We leave for Desolation Sound on Thursday morning, and I work the next two days....

I'll F/U once I return and take everthing apart for a good look. We have RARELY used the plug behind the pilot's seat, so it should not be a big issue for our trip.
journey on

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, Forrest, you're correct. I'm used to thinking in parallel or series and I used the wrong terminology. Your use of daisy chaining is certainly what I meant.

I can't type either.

And. localboy, looking at Desolation Sound is better than looking at a GFCI. Go for it.

Thanks, Boris
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved. Forrest was correct; wired it wrong. Had to do w/ the "load" side of the GFC. Stupid mistake but it's now fixed. Not a lot of room to work and the factory left no extra distance in wire to make it easier. As a solution I just ended up putting another 15a circuit breaker in dedicated for the microwave plug only. $13.99 and about an hour and it's done.

Thanks for the help.
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Please clarify wiring method from gfci Reply with quote

Can someone explain the diff between parallel and daisy chaining off the gfci outputs..??
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll F/U once I return

forget explaining daisy chains I want to know what F/U was suppose to mean. figure out maybe?

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
forget explaining daisy chains I want to know what F/U was suppose to mean. figure out maybe?

Follow Up. But my mind initially went to the same place as yours and got quite a chuckle.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: