Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haakebecks

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Next Adventure
Photos: haakebecks (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: questions about anchor rode/thimbles Reply with quote

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger and order up new grand tackle from Defender, unless you folks can steer me to a cheaper/better vendor.

I'm going with 250 feet of 1/2 8 plait and 50 of 1/4 G4 HT chain. I'll be doing a chain to rope splice. My question is on the other end of the rope. Are most of you folks using a thimble and then going using a shackle to connect that to the eye bolt in the anchor locker or are you doing something else?
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good setup. We use a thimble spliced into the bitter end and a shackle to the eye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not want a thimble if you are using a windlass, even at the bitter end. Some folks switch ends every few years--to even the wear on the rode.
I tie a bowline in the bitter end, then I use 1/4" line --about 10 feet of it. I then thread the line thru the eye bolt, back thru the bowline, back thru the eye bolt nut, several times. This way if you need to access the end of the line, it can be brought to the deck, and even cut fast if you have to cut and run rapidly--the fine line can be cut faster than the full 1/2" line. If I have a windlass, (which I currently don't), I put a tight eye splice in the bitter end, and then do the same as above, so the bitter end could be brought up thru the windlass.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these swivels between the chain and anchor: [url=http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|118|103371|4089|2259973|2260017|2260037&id=1317606]Chicago Hardware 1/2" Swivel[/url]. It's worked well. Shackle on one end, swivel pin on t'other. I tried to use the next size up, but that was too big for the chain.

I stay away from the fancy ones (Suncor, etc.) because I read of them breaking. That's probably been cured or was a ramdon failure, but just a plain galvanized one has held for years.

I changed to braided anchor line, and found I had to soak it before the windlass would pull it in. Dumping it into the ocean fixed the problem.

Note that Defenders URLs doesn't work well with my posts. So you've got the URL AND the description. They have a similar one from WorldWide Enterprises at half the price. You make the choice.

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about anchor rode/thimbles Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:
My question is on the other end of the rope. Are most of you folks using a thimble and then going using a shackle to connect that to the eye bolt in the anchor locker or are you doing something else?

The eye bolt in my anchor locker was extremely not up to the task*, so what I have done (unless/until I do something better) is to tie a piece of hardwood onto the bitter end. It's something like a 1" x 2" x 8". I made two round turns and a couple of half hitches. I can turn it parallel with the rode and juuuust fit it through the deck pipe, but I don't think it will come back out unless I want it to. At least, it's a risk I'm okay with taking (of course too, one could use a disk or something that would not fit through the deck pipe).

At some point I may put in an adequate eye-bolt or similar; possibly an eye nut on the after side of the bow eye.

Sunbeam

* That is, it was a rather dainty eye-bolt, and was fastened through the not-all-that-strong bulkhead that divides the anchor locker from the V-berth with a bit of silicone and a finishing washer. I removed it and filled the hole (which would have allowed water into the berth cushion area).
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tied a bowline on it.
haakebecks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I appreciate all of the great advice and feedback. Sounds like a bowline with some 1/4 is a cheaper/easier solution.

Thanks!

That leads me to my second question. Current anchor is a 10kg/22lb Bruce knock-off. Was leaning towards a Manson Supreme, but the 25lb Manson seems substantially larger than the Bruce. Are most of you running 25lb Manson Supremes on 25 Classics/26 Ventures or is the 15lb adequate?
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: questions about anchor rode/thimbles Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:
As always, I appreciate all of the great advice and feedback. Sounds like a bowline with some 1/4 is a cheaper/easier solution.

Thanks!

That leads me to my second question. Current anchor is a 10kg/22lb Bruce knock-off. Was leaning towards a Manson Supreme, but the 25lb Manson seems substantially larger than the Bruce. Are most of you running 25lb Manson Supremes on 25 Classics/26 Ventures or is the 15lb adequate?

I secured with a bowline to the u-bolt in my anchor locker. Don't forget to tie off the loose end with some cord or electrical tape so the gremlins can't undo it.
I am very happy with my 15lb Manson Supreme, but then my boat is a 22. The Manson anchor chart will tell you what a 15lb'er is good for. But I would be tempted to go next size up for your boat. You may want to check your roller/bale clearance. If you look in my album under mods, you will see my clearance.

Martin.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it coming with the good stuff.
I'm taking notes.
Next Spring may be
a CD 26V.

Aye.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: questions about anchor rode/thimbles Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:
I'm going with 250 feet of 1/2 8 plait and 50 of 1/4 G4 HT chain.

What is your windlass and it's chain rating?

Aye.
haakebecks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Lewmar V700.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used the 25# Manson Supreme on our 25. Excellent anchor, and in my opinion far better than the Bruce. I realize the Bruce--or Bruce knock off--many of which are cast--and more likely to fail) are popular in the PNW. Not as popular on the East Coast.

In the tests I did in sand and mud, shell, the Mansom Supreme out preformed the Danforth HT, the Fortress --equal to the Fortress 15 X--much larger than the C Dory usually carry, Delta, Northill. The Manson set faster than the Larger Fortress did.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: questions about anchor rode/thimbles Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We used the 25# Manson Supreme on our 25. Excellent anchor, and in my opinion far better than the Bruce. I realize the Bruce--or Bruce knock off--many of which are cast--and more likely to fail) are popular in the PNW. Not as popular on the East Coast.

In the tests I did in sand and mud, shell, the Mansom Supreme out preformed the Danforth HT, the Fortress --equal to the Fortress 15 X--much larger than the C Dory usually carry, Delta, Northill. The Manson set faster than the Larger Fortress did.

I agree with Bob, the Manson really is Supreme. Worth mentioning is, this is the easiest setting anchor I have ever used when anchoring solo.

Martin.
haakebecks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you all have to replace the bow roller for that or was there enough clearance from the hull with the standard roller?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haakebecks wrote:
Did you all have to replace the bow roller for that or was there enough clearance from the hull with the standard roller?

One note is that the "standard" (builder installed) bow roller has varied over the years. My 2002 boat came a smallish roller, and the Manson Supreme 15# was a poor fit at best. I replaced it with the roller that came on (at least one) 2008 22 Cruiser (Retriever), because Sam ("20Dauntless," owner of Retriever) had one on his boat and also had a Manson Supreme and I could see they fit well. The only difference is that I got the long version of the roller, so it covers a bit more of the foredeck going aft.

There is a previous thread concerning Manson Supremes and bow rollers in which there are model numbers, names and photos. It mostly concerned 22's/15# anchors, but still might be useful. Here is a link to it:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=18642

A few of the early photos in my posts to that thread show up as blanks, because I didn't then understand that rearranging my photo album(s) would "break" the links. However the photos are still in my album (I can't go back and edit the posts to fix the links).

Sunbeam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: