The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Digital Engine Controls?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Digital Engine Controls? Reply with quote

After reading the magazine hype on the numerous advantages of digital engine controls and gauges, has anyone used this "new" technology for twins on a C-Dory? How bad does it hit your pocketbook? Is it worth it? Is it reliable or require a lot of "tinkering"?

Aye.

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it partially depends on the year of your engines. I had a 2005 Yamaha 115 on a previous boat and 2005/2006 was the year that the newer gauges went into effect. The reason I wanted the newer gauges was it could tell me the fuel consumption, trim, rpm, speed, voltage, etc. I did have twins.

Many folks including the experts could not tell me if I had the older or newer compatible motor. After many photos of close up shots of the plugs, it was determined that mine was not able to use the newer gauges.

Had the newer gauges been an option, I would have gone for them over the analog gauges. For me the option to go with with digital ones which were the older style, just did not justify the price. For what its worth, my gauges that I was trying to replace were 20 years old.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven several boats with the digital--mostly Micro Commander. They work smoothly, and the real advantage --maybe the only real advantage in a C Dory is if you put in the cockpit steering station. One boat did not have the motor trim on the lever, and I found that to be a real disadvantage. If it is rough I will do the right hand on the throttle--trim, and the left hand for steering. I found it very inconvenient to reach to the dash to trim the motors. (Same concept as offshore racer where there is a helmsman and throttle man.)

There have been a few spectacular failures of electronic controls--but these are very rare. However it is just another electronic gadget to go wrong. The C Dory is a simple boat, and I prefer to keep the systems simple enough to fix easily. I have owned a boat with three mechanical stations and it worked fine, even though the electronic controls would have been simpler to install. Also with larger boats and single handing, there is the advantage of a hand held remote, so you can move around the boat when docking without crew, and still have control of the shifters and even thrusters in some boats. The C Dory is so light and easy to dock, I cannot see it as that much of an advantage.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think all new outboards would have the proper output (NMEA standard data output?) to support digital gauges, engine controls and put engine data on your chartplotter. However, I learned not to make too many assumptions. Gotta start digging...

Aye.
Foggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is sometimes mechanical control cables can be stiff and unforgiving - even freeze up in time from rust. No so with digital cables; easier to route and use without the aforementioned.

Smaller boats shouldn't have to go without the advantages of newer technology that just the big boys used to have.

Aye.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that I was only referring to digital gauges.

Also, since my existing gauges were old, the new command link gauges would have been a great improvement in look and function.

The engine I purchased was used and therefore did not come with gauges.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as engine controls....I have twin Honda 90s. My boat came with a rear steering station (steering only). I single hand the boat 90% of the time and also will be using it for USCG Auxiliary patrols so I wanted to add throttle controls to the cockpit steering station.

I initially looked at electronic throttle / engine controls (Teleflex KE4+). The price is very unattractive....something around $8k to get the entire setup. But almost as disconcerting as the price, was the amount of real estate they take up. The control heads each need a control unit (8" square by 2" thick). Each engine needs an actuator unit (12" square by 4" thick). Plus a plethora of wiring harnesses...

For a single station, dual engine....you'd need the exact same setup as I mention above, minus one control head. Each engine still needs an actuator and each actuator still needs a control unit.

Long story short, I went with Kobelt mechanical pull-pull controls.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Foggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Thanks, Rob.
All that stuff must be in the small print, along with the pricing, you don't find out about until 'later'...

Aye.
Foggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beermanPDX wrote:
As far as engine controls....I have twin Honda 90s. My boat came with a rear steering station (steering only). I single hand the boat 90% of the time and also will be using it for USCG Auxiliary patrols so I wanted to add throttle controls to the cockpit steering station.

I initially looked at electronic throttle / engine controls (Teleflex KE4+). The price is very unattractive....something around $8k to get the entire setup. But almost as disconcerting as the price, was the amount of real estate they take up. The control heads each need a control unit (8" square by 2" thick). Each engine needs an actuator unit (12" square by 4" thick). Plus a plethora of wiring harnesses...

For a single station, dual engine....you'd need the exact same setup as I mention above, minus one control head. Each engine still needs an actuator and each actuator still needs a control unit.

Long story short, I went with Kobelt mechanical pull-pull controls.

Ahh. The above is for converting mechanical to electronic controls?

Methinks fresh, for a new boat w/new twin engines and single steering station the price would be significantly lower ($2500ish). Or, maybe I'm still groggy from last night's rum front...

Aye.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
The above is for converting mechanical to electronic controls?

Yes, that's true. But I think it would be true for most new boats as well at this moment. As far as I'm aware, there aren't many outboards in a size applicable for a C-Dory, especially in a twins configuration, that have drive-by-wire available. Most would still have mechanical throttle and shift coming off the powerhead.

I know there are some larger HP outboards that do have drive-by-wire (Ex. Yamaha V6 Offshore models). Last year I read that Honda was coming out with a drive-by-wire system on it's new 250 and it will be adaptable to the 200 / 225. Interestingly, it's controlled by an actuator manufactured by Glendinning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: