View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Bruce anchor symmitry Reply with quote

I just noticed that one of the wings on my Bruce anchor is not shaped the same as the other. It is flared out a bit more than the other. Is that by design or has mine been bent? Can't imagine how it was bent or even if it is possible , given the thickness of the steel.

Cheers Beer
Tom

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real Bruce isn't with me (too large for the C-Dory), but I don't remember it being asymmetrical. On the other hand, the Lewmar "claw" (Bruce clone) that I got this year has a pretty lumpy/crude appearance (nothing like the quality look of the actual Bruce), and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it's asymmetrical! (But then, it was ridiculously cheap and is just going to be a Powell shore anchor, mostly.) You know I'm going to be checking it in the morning -- now I'm curious.

Is yours a real/original Bruce (sadly not made anymore), or a clone?

Sunbeam

PS: The hole in the shank of the "Claw" was also too small to fit a 5/16" shackle through (which is already weaker than 1/4" chain, so I can't imagine using a smaller one). I had to file it a bit just to get the rode attached to the anchor. (It's not my primary anchor.)

Last edited by Sunbeam on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Sounds like a puzzle. Seems that any force strong enough to reshape that anchor would also leave a mark. Anything there? Have you had it since it was new? Seems again, like anything strong enough to reshape it would have required a considerable force, and one that would certainly be noticeable in the retrieving process. it could however, have been a strain produce during a time at anchor, depending on the bottom composition, and still retrieved normally I guess. Would kind of think it might have been a wild ride at anchor though.

Might check a new one, if possible, at a store if there is one in the area, to see what it looks like there. Sunbeam makes a good point, is it a clone or an original. I'm sure you will get more response here and lots of good information.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Sunbeam:
It has a hot dipped galvanized steel finish to it so I am guessing that it is a clone. I will look closely at it today to see if there is any name on it. A true Bruce probably has the name on it...right?

Harvey:
he anchor came with the boat and I never gave it any thought until yesterday. It seems to do the job well. I am sure that something else would have broken first if there was a force applied enough to bend the steel. It is not thin metal.

Cheers Beer
Tom
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Bruce should say it's a Bruce on the shank. Probably in raised letters (cast in) saying Bruce Anchor, XX lbs.-XX kg. I'm going to look at my crude Bruce clone today and I'll report back on whether or not it is symmetrical. Mine is the size that's around 10#.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Bruce anchors are not available in the recreational boat size. Many are knock offs from China. They are cast steel vs forged for the real object. This is a problem with many of the imitations. The copy are sheet steel or cast metal vs forged steel which is much stronger. I have seen photos of cast Bruce anchors which have bent and broken due to bad material. There are some studies which show that the Bruce sets quicker, but has less ultimate holding power. At times the bruce may set on its side, so there is stress on one of the flukes--thus causing the weaker metal to bend.

There are those who say you should not rely on a Bruce lighter than 20 KG (44lbs) because of the weakness of the cast material. But that depends on conditions and load. A very experience couple who has circumnavigated twice lost their original Bruce and got a Manson Ray, a Manson Supreme and a Ronca--all the same size--large by C Dory standards.

They found that best in Mud was the Supreme and the worse was the "ray" (Bruce). For Kelp the Burce was best. For ultimate holding the Ronca or Manson Supreme was the best. There are lots of studies--all hard to evaluate because of the different bottom conditions.

If I had a "Bruce" knock off, and it was bent, it would either watch it very carefully, or put it in the front yard--and buy another anchor. The reason is that if the anchor has been stressed to the point of bending the metal is weaker--and could fail more easily than a symetrical anchor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: