Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chica

City/Region: Butte
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Chica
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: FCC "red tape" Reply with quote

I finally got my forms from the FCC to make me legal in Canadian waters to use my VHF radio and radar, when I get one. Is there anyone who can give me a "heads up" on filling out the forms? An e-mail address or phone number would be appreciated
Chica
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in Canadian waters all the time and we don't need no stinkin' forms. We've been checked by just about every jurisdiction there is also and no one has ever mentioned it.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the law! If anything bad happens and you don't have it -- hang on. I recommend you get one. Seen a few sad cases...

Dusty

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty is right. The best Yellowtail fishing down here (for us midrange guys) is Los Coronados. We also have to put up with the Mexican law that states "one Mexican fishing license per person" if there's even a fishing hook aboard. An FCC license is also necessary. $200 ain't so bad. Two fuel fillups....

I filled my form out on line and submitted it there. If I can find the site again I'll add it to this message.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/ Go there first. I think you have to register for an FRS first, but then go back and apply for the license.
Mine is for a Ship Recreational or Voluntarily Equipped (SA).

You can even pay online. Ain't .gov getting fancy? Sad

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
MOOSE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I doubt you, but why would one need a license from the US FCC to operate a VHF and radar in Canada? I'm commencing to think a lot of this stuff is nuts. Do you know that according to the literature that came with our portapotty, they are not legal in Ontario. What would they have us do?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not legal to spit in some places either. Not sure why you'd be surprised at something like this! Rolling Eyes As for the portapotty, that would explain why lots of folks in Ontario are pretty cranky.

Like I heard once, the most ferocious Mad animal in the world was the Hipmoflus, had a head on each end. When someone said "Why the poor thing can't even go to the bathroom Shocked " The response was, "That's why it's so ferocious!!" Smile

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sneaks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:
Not that I doubt you, but why would one need a license from the US FCC to operate a VHF and radar in Canada?

You need a license that is recognized internationally to operate in international waters other than your own.

For decades, ALL VHF radios and radars used to require licenses to operate here in the US. Meaning even us rec boaters. That law was changed and now only foreign vessels must have a license to operate their radios when in US waters. For them, the US accepts an international license. Mexico (and Canada) also require an internationally recognized license if you want to legally operate in their waters. Since a US license is an internationally recognized license, and you are (I assume) a US citizen, you are allowed to operate in Mexican and Canadian waters using your license.

Canadians may be pretty lenient but Mexico can confiscate your boat if they decide to be anal about it. Same with not having Mexican fishing licenses, and horror stories do exist.

Come to think of it, MN residents are pretty close to being Canadians anyway, eh?

Don
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Moose -

Agree totally with your philosophy. BUT, depends on the agent involved. I once had an 85' Burger impounded -- one of the charges (a minor one, true) was that I did not have a license to operate the radar which was operating when I was boarded. A very sticky wicket. That guy has probably already gone to agent heaven (with my blessing) but his son may be around. Smile

I still recommend to just do it. Canada also requires a radar reflector -- I don't have one yet, but will. Shux, they even took my halibut gun away from me and I thought it was legal. It wasn't. 1/2 inch too short. Me too...

Dusty (a.k.a. Coward)
MOOSE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me a scofflaw, but until I get officially reprimanded, I'll use the $200 to buy gas.

Also, on the subject of required equipment, the Canada Shipping Act does not require that vessels which are ordinarily kept in another country (i.e. - the US) comply with all of their requirements so long as they are in compliance with the regulations in the state in which they are registered. I confirmed this a couple of years ago after a friend was strong-armed by the Ontario Provincial Police for not having a boarding ladder on his open 18' fishing boat.

But while on the subject, is there a quick and dirty way of increasing one's radar reflection? I seem to recall a thread on the old CDog site about someone glueing aluminum foil to their radome. We're heading to fog-bound Lake Superior in a week and the thought recently crossed my mind.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:

But while on the subject, is there a quick and dirty way of increasing one's radar reflection? I seem to recall a thread on the old CDog site about someone glueing aluminum foil to their radome. We're heading to fog-bound Lake Superior in a week and the thought recently crossed my mind.

You don't want to cover your radome with foil as that will limit the utility of the radar (foil reflects in both directions). Also, just coating a surface with foil is not near as reflective as using the typical radar reflectors that are made from intersecting three circular pieces
like this one. The reason is that only the part of the foil that is perpendicular to the source of the radar does you any good - e.g. the reflection from your boat has to go back to the source to be useful. The reflectors like the one I provided the link to are special in that they are so called - "corner cube" reflectors in all dimensions. A corner cube (think of the inside corner of a cube) is special in that light (or radar) that goes into it is reflected back in the direction of the source regardless of the relative orientation of the corner to the source. You can easily construct your own by intersecting 3 pieces of any relective material at right angles similar to the model in the link. It's important to have fairly precise right angles but flatness of the reflector is not so critical (it only need be flat relative to the wavelength of the radar which is typically a few cm). Hence, you could construct the reflector out of any durable material and cover it with foil.

That being said, the reflector I provided a link to is durable and cost $70 at West Marine with the hanging hardware. My guess is that one can be found on line for less $'s with a little searching and that it is easier to buy than to make.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Last edited by rogerbum on Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cover your radom with foil

C'mon, get real. Why not just take it off? The whole radome I mean... the foil will incapacitate the radar.

Have not researched the costs but $200 seems excessive for this "permissive" act. Is that really right?

Charlie
Sneaks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis True, Charlie. Crying or Very sad

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html will give you all the details except fees. Those are saved for the last step as you plod through your license forms online.

Don on the Jenny B, license WDB9549

P.S. That license is JUST for the boat license. To be fully legal, I think you need a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator license too. Add $55....

Last edited by Sneaks on Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my VHF license online two years ago.

There is a US Federal law that says that any VHF equipped US vessel that travels to another country MUST have a FCC license.

Looks like it's pay your money now OR take your chances on a fine later!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
MOOSE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I recall was that someone had glued foil to the top of their radome, obviously not all over it. Hmmm, I wonder if one could toast bagels? But I understand what you are saying, Roger, about multi-plane reflectivity.

And again, on our home waters, there are thousands of trips a year by US Citizens with VHFs crossing the border and I have yet to hear of this as an issue. I'm sure that it might be elsewhere, and, given how things are going, it would not surprise me if someday it might be. Until then, I'll play the odds.
Chica

City/Region: Butte
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Chica
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: FCC red tape Reply with quote

I used Jenny B's link to the FCC and got my forms filled out on line. Thanks to a very helpful lady at the FCC the procedure was almost painless. Licenses will arrive in two weeks by mail. Many thanks to you Jenny B for the link. Ignorance is bliss, I apparently have been illegal for twelve years.
Chica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: