The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/25-10/27 Apalachicola Gulf Coast Gathering 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Marc,

C-Lover out of mothballs. Getting trailer overhauled next week. MaryJo and I have it on the calendar. See you soon.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
stlof

City/Region: Birmingham, AL
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Photos: C-Tide
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Gulf Reply with quote

This from the Salty Southeast Cruisersnet:

Northern Gulf/Florida Panhandle

I. Continuing Problems on Northern Gulf ICW Between Panama City and Choctawhatchee Bay (near Statute Mile 265)

New Smyrna Beach Marina Back in July, we reported that a narrow, canal-like section of the Northern Gulf ICW (a. k. a. the Gulf Coast Intracoastal Waterway), between Panama City, Florida and Choctawhatchee Bay, had been closed, due to the collapse of a dike, following torrential rains, and tons of mud and sand had been washed into the channel. Then, on 8/24/13, we published an article that dredging had partially reopened the channel, but budgetary restrictions had kept the ACOE from widening the channel to its original breadth (see http://cruisersnet.net/?p=119741).

Cammachee Cove Marina Now, in the below linked report, we hear from Captain Rich Gano, in Panama City, (who sent us the original report of the Waterway closing) that more rains have worsened the situation, and moneys are still not available for a full fix. Sounds like there may be hope though!

FULL details at:

http://cruisersnet.net/?p=121823

thataway

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gulf Reply with quote

stlof wrote:
This from the Salty Southeast Cruisersnet:

Northern Gulf/Florida Panhandle

I. Continuing Problems on Northern Gulf ICW Between Panama City and Choctawhatchee Bay (near Statute Mile 265)

New Smyrna Beach Marina Back in July, we reported that a narrow, canal-like section of the Northern Gulf ICW (a. k. a. the Gulf Coast Intracoastal Waterway), between Panama City, Florida and Choctawhatchee Bay, had been closed, due to the collapse of a dike, following torrential rains, and tons of mud and sand had been washed into the channel. Then, on 8/24/13, we published an article that dredging had partially reopened the channel, but budgetary restrictions had kept the ACOE from widening the channel to its original breadth (see http://cruisersnet.net/?p=119741).

Cammachee Cove Marina Now, in the below linked report, we hear from Captain Rich Gano, in Panama City, (who sent us the original report of the Waterway closing) that more rains have worsened the situation, and moneys are still not available for a full fix. Sounds like there may be hope though!

FULL details at:

http://cruisersnet.net/?p=121823

Alan, that is a bit confusing because marina and cove names are used which are not pertinent : Here is what I posted on the thread on the Gulf Coast waterway closing as coming from Rich Gano--who is a friend of mine.:

"Here is the most recent update from Rich Gano (Panama City Trawler owner) C Dory's should be able to get thru with no problem currently.

We have continued to have inordinate amounts of rain, and the US COE now reports this same area has shoaled up to on the southern half of the channel at this mile marker.

The northern part of the channel is OK. For the uninitiated, that is NOT enough room for easy passage of two trawlers. There is no estimate of when the money will be available to fix this, but because it hinders barge delivery of fuel to panama City (our normal method), I assume it will not be long.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
stlof

City/Region: Birmingham, AL
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Photos: C-Tide
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: GC Reply with quote

Hey, Doc. Just passing it along. Don't shoot the messenger.
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: GCIW Closing Reply with quote

I just picked this up on the web. It looks like the GCIW will be fixed and open by the time of our gathering.
I am recovering from surgery or I would put a boat in the water and go have a look.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEST BAY — The disruption of a coastal waterway connection system is causing some headaches for the Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Coast Guard and some local businesses.

A section of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, which stretches from Carrabelle to Brownsville , Texas , was shut down after flooding damaged a dike between Choctawhatchee Bay and West Bay during last week’s flooding rains, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

“There was just so much water going through it, it just blew it out,” said Pat Robbins, spokesman for the Army Corps.

About 80 percent of the dike may have to be replaced, said Robbins, who gave a tentative reopening date of July 20.

“The dredger has to be brought up from New Orleans , and depending on the weather it could be a couple of weeks before it is repaired,” U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Stanley Tarrant said.

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, what you posted was from a July 9 article. The information that Alan and I posted is from August 22. The ICW is currently open at Mile 265, but limited to small craft traffic one way thru the shoal area.
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: "The list" Reply with quote

How does one sign up for the event? Any slips left at the host hotel? And their phone number please. Are cruisers getting rooms or staying in their boats?

What's the Weather like down there at that time of year. Our boating season runs from January to may. We're in WV for the summer and fall but will make the 1000+ mile trip for another adventure on the water only minus first dog Darius who is now on the Rainbow bridge doggy heaven.

Also looking for a good source for an weight distributing hitch (inexpensive) Can anyone do better than $300 at JC Whitney? Although my Silverado is tow rated and 9400lb it still feels like the tail wagging the dog sometimes. She just brings so much stuff we could cross the Atlantic

Mark Help!
tlantic
TIA
John and Karen
Blue Ccruiser
cdory25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: "The list" Reply with quote

How does one sign up for the event? Any slips left at the host hotel? And their phone number please. Are cruisers getting rooms or staying in their boats?

What's the Weather like down there at that time of year. Our boating season runs from January to may. We're in WV for the summer and fall but will make the 1000+ mile trip for another adventure on the water only minus first dog Darius who is now on the Rainbow bridge doggy heaven.

Also looking for a good source for an weight distributing hitch (inexpensive) Can anyone do better than $300 at JC Whitney? Although my Silverado is tow rated and 9400lb it still feels like the tail wagging the dog sometimes. She just brings so much stuff we could cross the Atlantic

Mark Help!

TIA
John and Karen
Blue Ccruiser
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the top of the page is "events sign up" Click on that, it will show the Apalachicola gathering in the Membership events. If it is not there, then click the up-down button to bring it up. Sign up there.

$300 is a good price--but you want to be sure it will work with surge brakes unless you have electric over hydraulic. I still have the unit I used with my C Dory 25 and it has the pole tongue adaptor which you will need, along with an adjustable hitch, because you want the trailer frame level. I will part with the whole rig for $300. If you want it, i'll bring to the gathering.

Weather in Oct--can be cool at night--long sleeve shirt--occasionally a fleece in the AM--have used the air conditioner on a few days--but normally not necessary. This is still in hurricane season, and so far we have been lucky. One gathering, I had to dodge water spouts on the way--and we had a small tornado in Pensacola. Thunder storms can occur. Occasionally rain--but for the most part our gatherings have had good weather--shorts and short sleeves in the daytime.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John , just saw your post . If you have torsion axles , do not use a weight distributing hitch . I would make sure you have adequate tongue weight . That will be the first thing to cause "wagging" . 5-7% is fine , 10% is borderline too much on a boat . Remember its a boat, not an RV.
For slips call 850.653.3700 [Water Street Hotel] and speak with Leigh. She will take care of you . They have nice clean bathrooms and are a great location in relationship to the Rivercrest location .Scipio Creek Marina is right up the creek [literally] from Water Street Hotel . Its is another alternative to Water Street with gas , "Papa Joes" restaurant and useable but not "posh" bathrooms/showers . Power and water there too.
We start the Tampa Show this coming week , but Ill be monitoring the thread for more questions .
Marc
Marc

cdory25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
John , just saw your post . If you have torsion axles , do not use a weight distributing hitch . I would make sure you have adequate tongue weight . That will be the first thing to cause "wagging" . 5-7% is fine , 10% is borderline too much on a boat . Remember its a boat, not an RV.
For slips call 850.653.3700 [Water Street Hotel] and speak with Leigh. She will take care of you . They have nice clean bathrooms and are a great location in relationship to the Rivercrest location .Scipio Creek Marina is right up the creek [literally] from Water Street Hotel . Its is another alternative to Water Street with gas , "Papa Joes" restaurant and useable but not "posh" bathrooms/showers . Power and water there too.
We start the Tampa Show this coming week , but Ill be monitoring the thread for more questions .
Marc
Marc

No wagging! I just read that weight distibuting hitches were good. Already researved a slip at Water Street hotel. We were thinking about getting a room also but when would we use it? Three rooms and three slips taken so far.
Dan & Judy

City/Region: Woodstock
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: True Love
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: sign up Reply with quote

How do we go about signing up for this get-to-gather?
And getting directions to where it is held.
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular signup except on the site here , Ill pm you later with ideas of where to stay and such .
Marc

fom earlier post
"The Town is Apalachicola 32320 .
The location of the fun is Here
If you need lodging or slip info ,let me know .
Marc"
Dan & Judy

City/Region: Woodstock
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: True Love
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Get-to-gather in October Reply with quote

Yes we need that information. Are people staying on their boats or Motels?
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks are doing both . the Water Street Hotel 850.653.3700 has some slips and rooms reserved for "Wefings C Dory Gathering" Ask for Leigh and she will take care of you .They will dissapear [rooms] in a few days as they have a wedding coming that weekend
Alternantly, there is a a spot that can fit 6 or 8 boats with no power , but porta pottis at the Rivercrest locaction . Some folks stay there .
There is the City Marina and Scipio Creek Marina . Both have power and water . The Gibson and Apalachicola River Inn are walking distance from Battery Park City Marina .
If you read the previous posts you will garner some info .
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: